1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cost of straightening a wheel

Discussion in 'Tech' started by Raceless man, Jun 3, 2020.

1. Raceless man

Raceless man Well-Known Member

What would you say a ballpark cost is for straightening this bent wheel ?

Attached Files:

2. wheelz96

wheelz96 Well-Known Member

That looks like a 16in crescent wrench job. You will spend more time dismounting and remounting the tire then pulling the bent lip out. If it's only the lip needing pulled out that's a DIY job. If the wheel is warped from the impact then you need to go to a wheel repair expert. I think most car wheels that needs straightened are around the $100-150 range. Possibly cheaper for the motorcycle wheel.

3. Raceless man

I can't feel any wobble..place wants 280.00 I thought that was a lot..i will try a DIY. Thank you

Edit: feel free to share your tips, successes and horror stories on DIY wheel repairs.

wheelz96 likes this.
  4. wheelz96

wheelz96 Well-Known Member

You can buy a replacement used wheel that is true for that price! Hell, probably a set for that money...

5. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

what place charges $280? Had 1 done a GP frame in Sacramento and it was $120 for a pretty good sized taco. RIP Will Babb... you spoilt the hell out of us all these years.
    Otherwise there are lots of mobile car wheel guys with a 17" jig for lips.

6. lopitt85

lopitt85 Well-Known Member

I've got one like that. Was on the track bike when I bought it. It has never wobbled or vibrated so I never messed with it.

7. pscook

pscook Well-Known Member

I recommend against the crescent wrench approach as the lip of the wheel can crack when you apply force in a manner different than what caused the bend. I used a heavy dead blow hammer on my wheel that was similar to that, didn't even dismount the tire. Make sure that you remove the rotor proactively instead of reactively (he said from experience straightening the rotor after attempting to straighten the wheel with a hammer with the rotor installed...).

8. javyday

javyday Well-Known Member

Sure do miss Will. He straightened them for $65 and did an awesome job.

Phl218, R1M370, spoon32 and 2 others like this.
  9. R1M370

R1M370 Dr. P Ness

And sometimes same day service for that great price.

10. Raceless man

Some video watching..various wrenches, sockets and hammers..and heat.

Attached Files:

11. Gixxerguy855

Gixxerguy855 Well-Known Member

Paid 150 for straightening a forgie in Dallas.

12. TX Joose

TX Joose Well-Known Member

I think I paid around $150