1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Full size trucks - gas mileage difference

Discussion in 'General' started by Alex_V, May 27, 2020.

1. Circacee

Circacee Well-Known Member

My 5.3 Sierra (2017 Zz71 crew cab) gets about 17-21MPG with a bed full of bike crap, fuel and two occupants. The transmission sucks donkey dick though, 8 speeds suck.

Check out the 6.2 GMC Sierra with the 10 speed.

2. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

No problems with the Ford engines? I thought those things exploded spark plugs or something?

3. turner38

turner38 Well-Known Member

My 8-speed isn’t just terrible. I fuss about it driving through town and easing along but it does fine once you load it.

4. turner38

turner38 Well-Known Member

The 5.0 seems to be doing pretty good so far....
    It is the best of the bunch as far as fords go. Still not a fan of OHC four valve motors for trucks that spend most of those life at 2,000 rpm...

5. gixxerboy55

gixxerboy55 Well-Known Member

The Ford 5.0 is a great motor, but the LS pushrod is also a great truck motor, and more fuel efficient. That's probably why Ford now has a new pushrod engine. Remember I am talking only motors here.

6. NemesisR6

NemesisR6 Gristle McThornbody

That was the old 5.4's, and even then it wasn't as big an issue as many made it out to be. My 2005 truck went 10 trouble-free years without issue.

IMHO, the Coyote V8 5.0 is one of the best engines of all time. Lots of power, rock-solid reliability, and once of the best sounding stock-engine notes you can get in a truck.

ducnut, gixxerboy55 and Steeltoe like this.
  7. zertrider

zertrider Waiting for snow. Or sun.

Has Ford figured out how to keep exhaust manifolds from leaking yet? Seems every 5yr old Ford is snapping with exhaust manifold leaks as they drive by.

8. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

Had three Tundras in a row. It's basically the same truck they started making in '07 and really does get shit mileage. Plus it lacks a lot of the bells and whistles the other new trucks have, so I did my due diligence and drove a new Ford, Ram, and GM.

Then I went back to the Toyota dealership and bought a fourth Tundra. It's just a better truck. All the gizmos and 22 speed transmissions are cool but for quality and resale it's tough to beat 'yota.

9. Circacee

Circacee Well-Known Member

My Dad still has a 5.4 Expo with 232K on the clock. Runs like a champ!

10. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

Agreed.

noles19 likes this.
  11. skidooboy

skidooboy supermotojunkie

tundras have the 5.7 Litre, they have NEVER BEEN KNOWN FOR FUEL ECONOMY. truck is built like a 2500 for the most part but, they cant get a fuel efficient mill in it. as far as gm, they get better mpg's but, have that TERRIBLE DISPLACEMENT ON DEMAND SYSTEM, that needs a tuner to disable it, to make the cam shafts, and lifters live longer. but, then... your fuel economy drops. not to tundra levels but, it drops. Ski

ducnut likes this.
  12. bored&stroked

bored&stroked Disclaimer: Can't spell

With the ford you pay for the gas mileage being good. In Toyota you pay for it being reliable. Either way your spending the same overall.
    Even the 4.0L v6 in the tundra got absurdly bad mileage, like 1-2mpg better then the 5.7L. The 4.6 is the same as the 5.7 no reason to even have it honestly.

13. zertrider

zertrider Waiting for snow. Or sun.

When you get under them, the Toyota just seems to be heavier built

JBraun and Bloodhound like this.
  14. mattf

mattf Banned-a-lama-ding-dong.

Love my Tundra, even if it’s a bit old school.

You couldn’t give me a Ford.

15. nlzmo400r

nlzmo400r Well-Known Member

The engines aren't hugely different in design, but the Tundra was designed in a time where BIG was in, not MPG. So things like huge front areas, no front air dam, 4.30:1 final drive ratio and only 6spd trans really hurt the economy.

Also if you open the hood the Tundra has a huge engine driven fan while everyone else has electric powered units. It also has engine driven power steering and such where everyone else is also electric. The control arms are massive pieces of steel whereas the big 3 have all moved to aluminum or composite for some of these types of items.

A mid grade XLT 4x4 F150 is something like 500-600lbs lighter than a Tundra also. So it's not super difficult to see where 30-40% better fuel economy comes from on a newer designed pickup.

16. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

Things don't seem to have changed much. My '95 Chevy K2500 HD with a 350 V8 and auto transmission gets 15 mpg on regular gas....It has for over 180,000 miles.

17. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

I always figured I'd got a good one but I had a 2001 F350 4wd SRW extended cab with a 8 ft. box with the V10 in it that got 12 mpg running around local, 14 on a trip. Thought that was good for that much truck.

Once a Wanker.. likes this.
  18. cav115

cav115 Well-Known Member

Cummins 6.7

More truck, better mileage, pleasure to tow with.

Ducti89 likes this.
  19. cav115

cav115 Well-Known Member

LOTS of problems....

The eco`s are coming apart @ 120K or so.. multiple reasons.

20. cav115

cav115 Well-Known Member

The 5.0 is as good as it gets with ford.

ducnut likes this.