1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New gun owner research and questions

Discussion in 'General' started by DmanSlam, May 12, 2020.

Tags:
  1. DmanSlam

DmanSlam Well-Known Member

No soapbox required. My permission is not required to air your view.

I just upgraded my alarm security system including an improved camera system.

I do plan to practice at the range quite a bit since there are a few nearby. I'm moving up from BB/pellet guns (manual and CO2), if that counts for anything.

JBraun likes this.
  2. Senna

Senna Well-Known Member

Just a heads up - you can get a LOT of training done effectively at home. One range session a week and daily dry fire was my schedule when I briefly shot competitively. Make sure you're cleared the gun and put live fire rounds in a separate room of the house. I have a bucket full of sand next to my safe that I always clear into just to be sure.

Get a shot timer (there area also mobile apps, but I prefer a standalone timer), some dummy rounds and Dry Fire: Reloaded by Stoeger and work on the drills he lays out in that book. It is a sport-shooting oriented book but there's significant carryover to defensive shooting.

3. DmanSlam

That sounds practical. Good to know!

4. StaccatoFan

StaccatoFan My 13 year old is faster than your President

Heritage Training Center in Frederick, MD is an excellent range. It is clean, very well noise suppressed (nobody can hear anything outside the building, with a staff of all former
    military and law enforcement very well versed in firearms. Their rentals are all cleaned and checked after every time their shot. It's like $15 to rent a gun and $20 for a box of ammo. They require you shoot their ammo on their rentals. If you're not 100 percent sure what handgun you want, but have narrowed the choices, I'd almost be willing to bet they have all of them as rentals so you can test shoot your choices before making a final decision.

An hour of range time is like $25, and that includes hearing protection and paper targets.

It's where I go to punch holes in paper.

RonR, TurboBlew and DmanSlam like this.
  5. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

@Senna nailed it. People think you need access to a range to practice, but you don’t. I shoot a couple times a month but do dry fire drills probably 3x per week. It pays dividends.

DmanSlam and StaccatoFan like this.
  6. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Getting a blue gun for your handling practice is never a bad idea either.

StaccatoFan likes this.
  7. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

Take every comment I make as opinion. When it comes to guns, few people are really all-around experts...and the ones that can't shoot are suspect. :D
    Again, just my opinions.

DmanSlam likes this.
  8. bored&stroked

bored&stroked Disclaimer: Can't spell

1- Keep one under your pillow. No need to lock it up if no kids around.
    2- I prefer no optics especially on a handgun that's just silly
    3- No, do not get insurance and lawyers on call. Again, that's silly.

StaccatoFan and DmanSlam like this.
  9. fastfreddie

I disagree...
    - Iron sights - Four items you have to line up: 1) eye - directly inline with the sights, 2) rear sight, 3) front sight, 4) target. All four points must make a straight line to get your sight picture.
    - Red dot - Three items you kinda have to line up: 1) eye - close enough inline with the optic to see the dot, 2) dot, 3) target. The dot and the target are all you're really concerned about. If you have that, you have your sight picture. You can tilt your head towards either shoulder, pitch it up or down, shake it all around or roll around on the ground. If the dot is visible, all that needs to happen is for you to place it on the target.

Some of the arguments and responses I/you(plural) might encounter...
    - What are you gonna do if your optic blinks out? Point and shoot.
    - What are you gonna do if you don't have time for a good sight picture with your iron sights? Point and shoot.
    - Why does a close-quarters defensive weapon even need sights or an optic? Cuz you may need the accuracy and your aim better be up to that challenge.
    - Why doesn't a close-quarters defensive weapon need sights or an optic? Cuz point and shoot. How far away is the threat? Get off me close? You ain't aimin'...you're just squeezin'.
    - Traditional shotgun sights are a rib on top of the barrel with a bead at the end, why wouldn't that work on a pistol? Exactly, why wouldn't it? Why even have the bead...just machine a nice flat down the top of the slide in line with the barrel. It's a carry gun, right? Why have a buncha stuff that's a potential snag on the draw?
    - Are you stupid? I'm not dead. Does that count? :D

DmanSlam likes this.
  10. galloway840

galloway840 Well-Known Member

Everyone covered most of the salient points, but I'll add one other thought. Get 1 or 2 guns (the handgun and shotgun you mention), then shoot them often and for multiple uses.

Example - get a single generic pump or semi-auto shotgun for target practice, hunting, skeet, trap and clays. Use it enough to understand why people get specialized-for-purpose tools. You can put a lot of rounds through before realizing the shortcomings, and deciding how much to spend on more specialized equipment. You'll make friends in the process, get to try out nicer stuff and make more rational decisions.

Good luck.

scottn and DmanSlam like this.
  11. fastfreddie

"Beware the man who only has one gun. He probably knows how to use it!" - Clint Smith

12. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

Haha Clint Smith is a funny dude.

13. DmanSlam

This sounds like a good approach. I see it's possible -- easy, actually -- to spend a lot of money on guns.

14. DmanSlam

I went to a gun store to inquire about this. This was a good lead. Thanks man.

15. RonR

RonR Well-Known Member

I send a lot of people there. I’ve been to most of the indoor ranges in the area and they are older and worn. Most outdoor ranges are clubs that you need to join or be someone’s guest. I’ve belonged to AGC on marriotsville rd and Thurmont TCSC. Both are very good. I’ve shot a lot at Damascus IWL and it is much smaller but decent. Like others are saying practice a lot. Dry and live fire are both good for different reasons. Also Compete!! It’s really easy to get started and you will get very comfortable with your firearms and have fun doing it. I’ve made great friends shooting just like at the track. Good luck.

16. redtailracing

redtailracing gone tuna fishin'

Do your due diligence on gun beds. I actually really want one myself but there's a lot of cheap crap out there. I assume you're talking about the hidden internal storage in the headboard?

Pistol:
    Red dots are badass but not always practical for concealed carry. Some people can do it just fine. Others struggle to keep it concealed and comfortable. I fall into the latter category. Unless you're planning to spend a mint up front (which I highly DO NOT RECOMMEND), whatever you buy will just come with irons. Try that out first and learn to shoot well with it. Once you've figured out how you like to carry (which will be a lengthy process of trying various holsters and methods), then decide whether you think a red dot will fit into that method.
    As far as safeties, I see no reason for one, grip or otherwise. If I need to draw my weapon in self-defense, I want as few inhibitors as possible. Mine only has a trigger safety. You'll probably be nervous at first but you'll get used to it. Just always obey the rules of gun safety and avoid needlessly pulling the gun in and out of your holster. I would suggest a Glock, preferably a G19, for your first gun. I'm not a Glock fanboy and in fact have never even owned one. But they are a fantastic starting point for figuring out what you like and/or dislike in a gun. After owning it for awhile you can then decide whether you want to stick with it or replace it once you've determined your own preferences and fit. By that time you may have also figured out if a red dot is practical for you. So if you decide to replace it, you can consider the option of a pistol with an optic cut (versus paying to have one machined). Good handguns hold their value very well so you'll barely take a hit on resale if you take care of it, especially with a Glock. Another option is going to the local range and renting a few different models to try but that can get expensive quick and there's a good chance they won't necessarily have the best variety. Don't be afraid to buy used. If the gun was taken care of, it will still outlive you.

For home defense, do yourself a favor and forget the shotgun ideology (if your budget allows it). Build an AR-15 pistol (short barreled AR with a pistol brace in lieu of a buttstock). There's a reason anyone who has to perform close quarters combat for a living uses rifles. Far more accurate, more rounds on target faster, and less overpenetration. If you shop it right, you can build a good one with a red dot and weapon light for $1500ish or a few hundred less if you just run irons.

For target shooting, are you planning to do anything competitive? If not, then no you don't need a different barrel. Just have fun with what you have. You can shoot skeet with a short barrel just fine. If you're wanting to be competitive, then I'll have to leave recommendations to someone with more experience in that realm. The Benelli M4 is badass. It's actually the next gun on my list to buy. That said, it's not necessary. Plenty of far cheaper options that are good guns and fun to shoot, especially if you don't mind a pump. I'd suggest investing in an AR first then a Benelli later.

sbk1198 likes this.
  17. redtailracing

redtailracing gone tuna fishin'

Also this. The importance of this post cannot be overstated.

18. Woofentino Pugr

Woofentino Pugr Well-Known Member

CCW, depending on how big you are, Compact Glock or M&P 9/40/45 Shield. Both reliable. Both relatively cheap and easy to operate (M&P's also come with or with manual safety depending on your preference). For the love of god don't use a goddamn high priced handgun for a ccw. If you EVER had to use it, it will be taken by the PD for evidence and depending on state and/or dept, you may not get it back for a while if at all (for example in Milwaukee you literally have to get lawyers involved and sue). Losing a $500 gun is a lot less depressing than losing say a $3000 custom 1911. Whatever you get, practice practice practice. Draws, mag changes, shooting off hand, etc.

Find a good holster that is comfortable. Leather, Kydex, hybrid are all personal preferences. Make damn sure it stays put when you draw. Took an advanced handgun class and one clown's holster kept pulling half out everytime he drew. Couple times it came out with the gun. A lot of good that does when you really need it.

RDS. Personally I'd only use them on competition handguns. Just another thing to go wrong at the wrong time.

Lawyers. You don't need to keep one on retainer, but keep a business card of a good one that specializes in self defense cases. When you are down at the station after a self defense shooting, you are going to want an attorney present since technically you are there for a murder. They may deem it justifiable within a few hours or they may try to charge you with whatever they can.

19. DmanSlam

This is good advice and mirrors what I discovered after going to the shooting range today with a friend.

He brought a cache of weapons, including two AR rifles:
    - hi point carbine 9mm (similiar to the CZ Scorpion EVO 3 S2) with 10-round mags
    - an even larger gun that shoots 7.62x39, AK rounds. This gun was super-loud and produced what I'd describe as small shock waves. I ended up wearing ear plugs under my headphones.
    - several pistols

The ARs were badass, and as you say, very accurate and tidy in their penitration. I shot about 150 rounds between those two. Both had red dot sights with magnification (which was pretty cool). Stable, suprisingly-light recoil and accuracy made easy. Even though it was my first time ever shooting a non-BB shotgun, the accuracy was easier at 60-70 feet with this weapon than with the pistols obviously.

Shot a cache of pistols, about 400 rounds total: the colt magnum revolver, glock 17, 19, 48, spring xp9 4.5, ruger sr9, beretta 92fs, sig sauer p365. I warmed up on a 22 pistol that recoiled gently almost like a bb gun.

20. DmanSlam

Thanks for the reply. My comments in red below.