1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help! Trailer roof repair/replace advice...

Discussion in 'General' started by annie650, Apr 24, 2020.

1. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

Thats not EPDM; that’s a coating.

This is EPDM, with the video not being completely accurate, depending on installer. For instance, Mule-Hide adhesive is not water-based; it’s just like contact cement in a tube, which is to say, when it’s stuck, it’s stuck.

2. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

2 guy's willing to take a ban over trailer roofing... :crackup:

Sabre699 likes this.
  3. YamahaRick

YamahaRick Yamaha Two Stroke Czar

If the educational aspect outweighs the non-mc content, I think you can get away with it.

Besides, it is in regard to restoring a trailer that hauls bikes for a racer.

ducnut likes this.
  4. Spitz

Spitz Well-Known Member

I think we need more pictures

Sabre699 likes this.
  5. DmanSlam

DmanSlam Well-Known Member

Good video @YamahaRick . TBH, I never thought to look at the rooftop of a trailer when I was seriously considering a purchase of one. I'm sure the sun gives the rooftops a beating. The video doesn't show if the gap under the rooftop hvac unit was also treated. I'd assume so?

6. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

:crackup:

7. speedluvn

speedluvn Man card Issuer

Thank you! I don’t know what the fack is wrong with these boomers today!

8. annie650

annie650 Well-Known Member

Ok! Done with sealing and sanding. Do I use POR15 Rust Preventative paint to coat the metal on top of the trailer or POR15 Top Coat? Or both?

9. BC

BC Well-Known Member

Paint, then topcoat . The rust preventive paint cant handle the UV's

10. BC

BC Well-Known Member

Get some of their solvent too. It's the only thing taking that stuff off your skin other than a grinder.

11. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

I would use the rust preventative paint as a first coat, to help ensure the rust doesnt come back underneath the paint. Then a good UV stable top coat.

TurboBlew likes this.
  12. annie650

annie650 Well-Known Member

I've sprayed all the rusted areas (after I wire wheeled and sanded) with a rust resolver/primer product. What's your opinion on spraying the whole roof with a few coatings of Flex Seal and calling it complete? I have found that Flex Seal is UV resistant (or so the interwebs say...)

Last edited: May 1, 2020
  13. socalrider

socalrider pathetic and rude

And if the trailer flips over during a flood you have a boat. :crackup::beer:

14. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

Im betting its not. Roofers use a product by GACO that is
    https://gaco.com/product-details/gacoroof-100-silicone-roof-coating/
    A roof supply would have the 1 gallon cans... ~$50

15. SpeedWerks Racing

SpeedWerks Racing Well-Known Member

16. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

You could just coat/paint the bad areas for now. But as old as the roof is I would eventually paint the whole thing.

I wouldn’t use flex seal.

17. BC

BC Well-Known Member

You'd be better off getting a 5gal bucket of Kool seal from home Depot and rolling on a few layers

Probably cheaper than flex seal too

18. lopitt85

lopitt85 Well-Known Member

I tried the flex seal spray can for some of the random areas on the trailer sides. It was garbage and didnt hold up or cover well. I sanded it all back off.

Someone mentioned KoolSeal, and I've heard great stuff about it. I used an aluminized trailer roof paint, waterproof, heat reflective, 1 year warranty. I'm happy with it.

Edit: 1yr warranty. The 10 yr is the seam sealer/caulk, that's under the permanent/waterproof 6" wide tape, that's under the aluminum roof coating. ;)

20200501_221737.jpg

Last edited: May 1, 2020
  19. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Stickboy used this - https://www.koolseal.com/ and had great results. They even have it in gallons at home depot and the like I believe. Get the white and it'll stay cooler too.

stickboy274 likes this.
  20. stickboy274

stickboy274 Stick-a-licious Tire Dude

What he said ^^^

Once a year, I go over the seams with lap sealer and then paint the roof with that kool seal, or a version of it. You can get some from Home depot/Lowes. It's not in the paint section, it's over in the lunberyard part of the store. I also replaced the foam a/c seal every 2/3 years to keep it from leaking there.