1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can't believe I'm doing this....school me on cell phones

Discussion in 'General' started by SpeedyTide, Apr 20, 2020.

1. r1owner

r1owner All cars suck!

You mentioned Cricket wireless. I switched to them from AT&T (Their parent company I believe) and haven't looked back. Cricket is WAY cheaper and works perfectly fine for my family. $100 total/month for 4 phones unlimited data.

SpeedyTide likes this.
  2. Spitz

Spitz Well-Known Member

Ahh, the ultimate social distancing tool. I've taken people on 60 mile tows back home and they hadn't said one word or try to strike up a convo but have their face buried in their phone tweeting texting and being "the most outgoing person on facebook". Funny how you see it being a generational thing. Some of the best insight stuff i've heard has been talking to a complete stranger.

AMac likes this.
  3. zertrider

zertrider Waiting for snow. Or sun.

Mint mobile. Owned by a Canuck so you know they are good people.

4. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

Every time someone pulls out an iphone it's cracked all to hell and looks like shit. I like my Nokia 6.1. Had Motorola before this one. Android is awesome. Fuck Apple! (Except my Macbook Air that damn thing is the bees knees.)

R1M370 likes this.
  5. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

One more Iphone hater here... funny how I can hand my Moto to an iphone user and and they can figure out how to use it in 5 seconds, but if I try and use the wife's iphone I get pissed and throw it back to her after 2 minutes of fucking with it. That's how they get their hooks in- once you figure out how to use the damn thing you feel like you're in the club and shit that's actually intuitive doesn't make sense. OP- pick the phone you like, buy an unlocked version of it off Ebay or Amazon, then pick your carrier. Don't fall into the trap of being tied to a carrier just to get a fancy phone for "low monthly payments"

SpeedyTide likes this.
  6. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

You've met my daughter? Not worried since you have no moves...

7. StaccatoFan

StaccatoFan My 13 year old is faster than your President

I prefer that Apple keeps their operating system in house and updates come from a single source. Their ecosystem is inherently more secure than all the different flavors of Android and the modifications provided by the various vendors.

Only Android phone I would entertain would be the google pixel. That should be Android at its purest and most secure. From Google.

SpeedyTide likes this.
  8. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

D-Zum that used to be true but now the Android One program gets updates as soon as they are available and guaranteed for two years min. One reason I chose the Nokia.

9. sanee

sanee Well-Known Member

you should also look in to switching providers and look in to mint mobile.

SpeedyTide likes this.
  10. r1owner

r1owner All cars suck!

That is where Apple has the upper hand. They have a ton more support over time then Android. Even the Pixels only get 3 years guaranteed updates from Google.

11. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

Mmm Hmm because iphones need those updates when they slow to a crawl after 9 months of use :crackup: Garbage!

R1M370 likes this.
  12. r1owner

r1owner All cars suck!

I'm on a Pixel, rest of family is on iPhones. Usually the updates make the older iPhones go slower.

I dislike Apple quite a bit, but I don't deny they make good phones. Their security process is infuriating though.

13. gixxerboy55

gixxerboy55 Well-Known Member

Unlocked G6 here. I drive Uber over 4,000 rides, what's with the I phones always having dead batteries, as soon as they get in the car they need a charge, it's always an I phone. What's so great about a phone that cost 1K and the battery is always dead.

14. sheepofblue

sheepofblue Well-Known Member

The updated Apple SE should fit your desires well and not be a huge change from the 3gs. Other than I doubt you have updated the OS on yours in a while and the new one will be FAR faster at everything. Good luck on the job hunt.

SpeedyTide and r1owner like this.
  15. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

Evidently you're not drinking the Kool-aid.

R1M370 likes this.
  16. J Bart

J Bart Fat Kid Track Days

Check out www.oneplus.com Purchase the phone from the website, they come unlocked and do not have all the bloatware you get when buying a phone from the carriers. I have a OnePlus 6T, is worth the money spent. The OP 8 and 8 Pro are about to be released so prices on the 7T have dropped. I prefer Android over iPhones.

17. SpeedyTide

SpeedyTide 'Bama's Bad Boy

First off.....appreciate the advice/info from everyone! :cool:

Ended up with with the new Iphone SE, and switched over the Metro for service since I could get the phone for $99, and can have it unlocked after 6 months of payments being made on time. Happy with them both thus far. :)

Sabre699 likes this.