1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can't believe I'm doing this....school me on cell phones

Discussion in 'General' started by SpeedyTide, Apr 20, 2020.

1. SpeedyTide

SpeedyTide 'Bama's Bad Boy

First off.....I'm THE least techy person on this planet - don't no one try to fight me for it! I'm pretty cheap too, but willing to spend some, but not too much - being my job site is closing it's doors 5/31, and I'm out next week, 4/30.

Do not currently have home internet (yes, I live under a rock), so I need to update my cell phone within next week with job searching/interviewing coming.

Current phone - Iphone 3gs with AT&T. I talk, text, email, and surf the web, and don't have a many apps. Do not stream, or download much of anything. A new phone, i'm sure I would some, but not a lot. I want it to have good navigation, be able to be on web, or email while on a call, and unlimited data would be nice.

What are the main differences in Apple, Android? I believe these are the 2 major platforms?

Is Siri on both platforms?

I seem to see LG phones are fairly low priced compared to the Apple/Android, and believe LG is Android?

Then I see these Cricket or Metro places where seems you get cheaper phones & service versus going through AT&T, Verizon, etc. So, what are the advantages going this route?

My head hurts. Appreciate any helpful advice/info.

Thanks!
    Jeff

2. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

The gas pump news announced a new, cheaper latest, greatest Iphone when I was filling up yesterday. I half remember hearing under $500 or some shit like that.

I can't keep track of what iphone is out now, don't really care and don't know which I have other then it's red. No clue on the android versus apple crapware debate.

I just want the damn thing to work when I want it to. My phone is with AT&T, the wife and kid's phones are with sprint, both carriers suck and plans are expensive but work when you want them to. Too lazy to look at those cut rate carriers (don't they mostly use sprint's towers?).

So, I got no advise. Buy whatever is cheap if you don't care about having the latest and greatest, that's what I do.

SpeedyTide likes this.
  3. pscook

pscook Well-Known Member

If you already have an iphone and are not tech savvy, stick with Apple. If you are interested in playing with apps and fooling with the phone, get an LG as they are cheap.

Stay with Apple. As an android or die guy, Apple has it figured out for simplicity and continuity. Then pick your provider based on coverage in your area. The big names have better coverage, but you can find a second tier provider who uses the name brand towers, but really, stay with a big name and you shouldn't have an issue.

SpeedyTide likes this.
  4. nd4spd

nd4spd Well-Known Member

Stick with Apple.

5. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

Damn Jeffah...next thing we know you'll be updating the CBR. :D

SpeedyTide likes this.
  6. gixxerboy55

gixxerboy55 Well-Known Member

Motorola G6 works great,200 bucks,I phones are way over priced. AT&T owns Cricket and Consumer cellular, they are just marketed different, I have cricket works great.

7. Mike Lafayette

Mike Lafayette Well-Known Member

I think what you are referring to is the iPhone SE - pre-orders being taken now and they are supposed to be available on the 24th of April. Bottom line is the size of an iPhone 8 (good size for dudes, not huge) with the processor of an iPhone 11 Pro which Apple says is industry leading. Decent price @ $399. I will be needing a phone by June (losing my job too) as well and I will likely opt for this.

SpeedyTide likes this.
  8. beechkingd

beechkingd Well-Known Member

You can get a refurbed Iphone SE on Amazon for about $100-150 get a cricket plan and go from there. They are cheap and use the current IOS so all the current apps work on them.

SpeedyTide likes this.
  9. sdiver

sdiver Well-Known Member

Getting good advice here on the new iPhone SE.

SpeedyTide likes this.
  10. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

id recomend a verizon prepaid plan... easy peasy and just use a credit card to prepay so you dont get suprise data bills. There is a 3 gig plan for $35 and you get a $5 credit for autobill. Then shop a new phone at your leisure. You will need a verizon sim card

SpeedyTide likes this.
  11. NemesisR6

NemesisR6 Gristle McThornbody

New iPhone SE seems like the best bet. All the best "guts" to be relatively future-proof without all the fluff (cameras everywhere, glitzy construction materials, face scanning etc.) that you don't care about.....

https://www.apple.com/iphone-se/

SpeedyTide likes this.
  12. SpeedyTide

Appreciate all the info thus far. Adds to decision making BS, but that comes with the territory I suppose. Which it was as simple as ABC, 123!! ;)

13. Metalhead

Metalhead Dong pilot

$399 I saw yesterday.

14. SpeedyTide

You shut your whore mouth Dan-O!!

I'm not through whoopin' up on the new bikes yet! If I ever get back up to speed, and mount new rubber.....it's on like donkey kong beetches!!! :D

15. SpeedyTide

:crackup:

16. SpeedyTide

:confused: did you mean another model? Thought the SE was the new phone from Apple?

17. NemesisR6

NemesisR6 Gristle McThornbody

The "SE" has been a "model" in the iPhone lineup for a number of years. The version he is talking about is based on the iPhone 5 body but with iPhone 6S internals. It is no longer manufactured but is available as a refurb from certain retailers.

The new "SE" that just launched this week is basically an iphone 8 body with iphone 11 internals.

SpeedyTide likes this.
  18. gapman789

gapman789 Well-Known Member

I switched from ATT to Tmobile....I have the vanilla $699 iphone 11 64 gb and a $20 LG flip phone for work duty and daughter has one of the 10's with 256 gb. I pay $1o3 month, w/insurance on the iphones, unlimited data.

I bought (4) iphone 6s's, 64 gb when they first came out and they were $750 each.....$3000 total. It's cool that the 11 was actually cheaper than the 6s when first released.

SpeedyTide likes this.
  19. Hotfoot

Hotfoot Well-Known Member

I have one of these (the older SE that is iPhone 5 size with 6S processor) and I REALLY like it. Works with current IOS version, still has a headphone jack, does fingerprint ID but not face recognition, it is small and the battery lasts a long time. If you can find a refurbished one on Amazon I think those are the best deal out there right now, the only downside is the screen is relatively small (compared to the new giant ones) and the model is not really current - but I think it might be the easiest possible transition from what you have now.

SpeedyTide likes this.
  20. Hooper

Hooper Well-Known Member

:stupid:
    I have one of those as well. I also really like it for the size and the price that I paid at the time. The battery is finally starting to show signs of not wanting to hold a charge very long. I did go ahead and order a new SE. A little bit bigger and has the new processor and better cameras. The price also seems decent for an iPhone. No way I am paying $1200 for the latest and greatest. But $449 (128G) is do-able. :)