1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Daytona 200 2020

Discussion in 'General' started by KneeDragger_c69, Jan 14, 2020.

1. 83BSA

83BSA Well-Known Member

2 problems here:

1. It is a twin: and most importantly
    2. It is a Ducati.

In a battle of 200 race miles vs. Ducati, I'll take the 200 Miler. Don't get me wrong, I race Ducatis (early ones) and I like Barney on anything at Daytona. But, history has not been kind to Ducati at Daytona. And, I do not forget Disalvo and the engine swap year.

Cheers,

Dave

2. rcarson15

rcarson15 Well-Known Member

1 problem here:

1. You took that entirely too seriously.

JJJerry and 83BSA like this.
  3. Marcos415

Marcos415 Well-Known Member

Whatever happened to former winner Joey Pascarella

4. 83BSA

83BSA Well-Known Member

Point taken. Thank you.

But, I don't take ANYTHING on the BBS seriously. That would be a futile exercise.

Cheers,

Dave

5. Gino230

Gino230 Well-Known Member

I will be glad to help out, but I'm not sure I'm going to Daytona. Might go to WERA Roebling with the FZ instead.

For fitness, I mostly trained on my bicycle, and I worked up to riding about 40 miles. Being in the saddle 3 hours prepared my body quite well for the 200. It can be very hot in March, or it can be nice and mild. Wear a chest protector and lay on the tank going around the banking. Force yourself to relax, especially your legs / feet. I found I was so wound up that I was pushing hard on the footpegs going around the banking for no reason. Then my leg cramped up with 10 laps to go. Flex your fingers as well. Hands will be buzzing from the vibrations.

Rulebook says Stock CAPACITY tanks- so stock or ETI fuel cell are both legal. Don't know about gearing for the Kawi. You could call Roaring Toyz and ask for Robert Fisher, he's done it on a Kawi I believe.

Like others have said, at that pace you will need a rear tire halfway through the race. The front will probably hold up depending on brand and compound. Front quick change is time consuming to get set up right (don't forget magnets in the caliper pistons and bevel the pads) and needs crew members who are adept and changing it. If a front tire change takes 10 sec, that's half a second per lap for 20 laps.

I would have a front ready to go on the warmer, and change it during the first red flag. There's usually at least one, and work is allowed on the bikes during the red flag. Easy free pit stop. You're still required to do one stop under green so don't forget that.

I got lucky my last time around, ran a pretty hard rear tire and stretched the fuel stop due to what was basically a big screw up on my part- but I wound up 23rd and that was running 2:00 times. If you can get into the 56-57 range, you could theoretically wind up with a top 15 finish.

So much luck is involved, so many people crash out or break.... just don't be one of them!

6. KneeDragger_c69

KneeDragger_c69 Well-Known Member

Thnx Gino for the great input.

Will took them all in and adapt to my riding.

For the legs, I did them hard as I have a neat little trick to go a bit faster but will modify my bike for it, so I don't use up my muscles.

Like the magnet idea for the front pads… What do you suggest I use to put there ? I sticker magnet or something else ? Can't be too thick either. Pads are always bevel in my calipers… so I'm good there.

Tank is being fitted for the quick fill and my front end also with Fast Frank.
    Modified myself the front and rear axles for the torque guns.

Thnx again… :)

Gino230 likes this.
  7. sbk1198

sbk1198 Well-Known Member

I'm way late to this party, didn't read any of the posts just the first one, but I should be able to help you out during the race if you need another helper. I'm pretty behind on Daytona planning, having not done anything yet lol Still need to sign up for races and reserve a parking spot or something.

KneeDragger_c69 likes this.
  8. KneeDragger_c69

KneeDragger_c69 Well-Known Member

lol get to it already…

Thnx for the offer… will not say no, as I've lost already two and 2-3 more showed interest in going down from Canada.
    At this point, if you are there, I will say YES. I will need someone on the infield for scoring, if the radio system won't work in the helmet.

9. rcarson15

rcarson15 Well-Known Member

Winner winner chicken dinner!

Running with Emerson at Bobblehead Moto and Karns

Last edited: Feb 6, 2020
    Boman Forklift and TLR67 like this.
  10. HPPT

HPPT !!!

RRP will be along shortly.

RRP likes this.
  11. Spang308

Spang308 Well-Known Member

Who's flat track bike is he racing? Rob mentioned he was doing the double.

12. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

He still has his RMZ.....did a few off season races too...

Boman Forklift likes this.
  13. SpeedyTide

SpeedyTide 'Bama's Bad Boy

Is Greg Melka mentioned in this thread yet? :D

Seriously.....Melk would run really well there. Would love to see it! :rock:

C'MON GREG!!!! :Poke:

14. SpeedyTide

Is he doing it this year? Haven't seen/heard anything.

15. RRP

RRP Kinda Superbikey

missed it by THAT much...

:D

16. SpeedyTide

MELKA!?!?! :)

TurboBlew and Quicktoy like this.
  17. Robby-Bobby

Robby-Bobby Steeltoe’s Daddy

There might just be a pair of championship winning, D&D Cycles backed, Robby-Bobby Built Husqvarna Fc450 Rockstar Factory editions available.....

But I wouldn’t know anything about that...

18. Robin172

Robin172 Well-Known Member

Cheater bikes then.;):D

19. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

This piqued my curiosity so I dig some digging. I remember watching DiSalvo needing 2 engines to finish/win the 2011 Daytona 200 which was Ducati's only win they ever had there. But not necessarily a twin thing because Hayden and Duhamel traded wins in 2002 and 2003 on the RC-51. Can't find full results on the AMA's archived stuff beyond 2004 but that year Bostrom was the only Ducati finishing 15 laps down on the 999R. But then the RC-51's power plant is damn bulletproof.

20. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

LOL... "high profile" is not how i'm typically described but appreciate it Jeff ! ! :clap:

Jake Lewis will kill it, he's been doing a lot of cross country/harescramble racing lately on a stock KTM and the suzuki before his current dirt bike.