1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help with tickets etc for German GP 2020.

Discussion in 'General' started by RRP, Jan 4, 2020.

1. RRP

RRP Kinda Superbikey

Ok, so we are going to visit my brother in Wiesbaden in June. As it happens we will be there on my 50th birthday and Beck wants to make going to the GP there my birthday present.

We are trying to figure out the most cost effective/convenient way to do this. The trip to Germany itself is a big deal for us and major expense, so doing this side trip has to be a fairly planned out thing - we can’t just say “screw it you only live once”.

Simply put - we can’t spend a grand or 2 on two days/nights.

We did Indy every year as it was close and easy as we had family that live in Speedway 6 blocks from the track. Also - General admission was cheap.

This is a totally different scenario.

Anyway, real world help for people on a budget much appreciated.

thanks
    M

2. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Find Russ Parker (I'm with Stupid) on Facebook. He quit the BBS.

RRP likes this.
  3. Triple X

Triple X Well-Known Member

I'm jealous.
    I used to work in Wiesbaden.

RRP likes this.
  4. 83BSA

83BSA Well-Known Member

Don't do General Admission at Sachsenring. There is VERY limited GA seating, and it fills early in the day. Get seats in a grand stand with a screen across from it. Otherwise, you'll walk the entire track and see very little for all the grandstands. It is a small, compact track.

Cheers,

Dave

Senna and RRP like this.
  5. cpettit

cpettit Well-Known Member

I went once by train from Stuttgart. My gf was out of town so I took my tent and sleeping bag and a bottle of booze. Only bought the GA ticket but I was solo and walked as much of the place as I could. The late night party there was wild! Not sure where the best seats are but the inside of the omega part was pretty good for standing. You can walk to the track from the train station too.

6. RRP

RRP Kinda Superbikey

thanks for the input!

Will have the wife and kid so that will create some limitations.

keep it coming people.

7. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

OP have fun, Germany is beautiful, but I haven't been in 30 years. Wish I would have seen a GP or made it to the Porsche or Mercedes factory when we visited while I was a kid.

I can see quitting Facebook, I go days to a week at a time without looking, but not here, I'm addicted.

8. RRP

RRP Kinda Superbikey

Thanks all for the replies, I have made contact with Russ and turns it he lives just across the river from my brother whose stationed in Wiesbaden.

The project continues!

Please keep any/all suggestions coming.

thanks
    M

9. YamahaRick

YamahaRick Yamaha Two Stroke Czar

You are less than two hours from Cologne. Drive there to visit the museum of Michael Schumacher cars. I was there in June and wrote about it here; just can't find the link right now.

https://www.privatecollection.ms/

BUTZWEILERSTR. 35–39
    50829 COLOGNE

10. YoshiHNS

YoshiHNS Mr. Slowly

Tagging along. I'll be arriving Saturday sometime.

11. RRP

RRP Kinda Superbikey

Update. We are considering flying into Paris and then taking the train to Wiesbaden. Discussing options and details with Russ and Phil is helping make that decision.

@HPPT - aren’t you in Paris?

12. racesbikes

racesbikes WTB a Size 50/60 Race Suit

For the race sit in the grandstands across the track from turn 3. This is typically the Rossi grandstand right next to the Ducati grandstand. For Friday practice you should walk around and take in the drunk Dutch and English race fans. The Sachsenring is small, like Laguna but with slightly less hills.

Stay in Chemnitz (formerly Karl Marx Stadt) hotel rooms and food are inexpensive and very good. Don’t expect much sleep Saturday night. If you do camp at the track, then you will get zero sleep. The party fans rev engines mounted on plywood all night until they blow them up.

Take a taxi to the track. Even though the Germans are efficient at getting cars out of the parking lot (1 hour versus 4 hours at Donington) a taxi is a better choice. Flying into Frankfurt works, but it is still a little bit of a drive to the track.

Bring lots of water. There isn’t much cold water for sale inside the track. Like Brno, the water costs as much or more than beer or energy drinks.

PM me for more info if you would like. We have Mugello and Barcelona on the schedule for this year.

RRP and Phl218 like this.
  13. RRP

RRP Kinda Superbikey

PM’d.

tks
    M

14. Phl218

Phl218 .

oh and per our text conversation, make sure to get the whole fam these shirts / sweaters:

[​IMG]

you will get free beer everywhere

418, Shocker, GarrettRick and 2 others like this.
  15. RRP

RRP Kinda Superbikey

We ordered our tickets tonight!

What are the chances my 50th birthday is the same day as the German GP the summer that we go visit my brother in Germany!

thanks all for the help and input!

16. Potts N Pans

Potts N Pans Well-Known Member

Go to Mexico Lindo if you want some pretty good Mexican food while visiting Wiesbaden.

Also, if you break (clean break) your tib-fib there, the German hospital will give you Tylenol.

Triple X likes this.
  17. Triple X

I can also recommend the Wackernheimer Hof just to the west of Mainz-Finthen.
    Get the Raumsnitzel.
    Holy shit.

18. Phl218

Phl218 .

Rahmschnitzel ;)

But you were close!

Triple X likes this.
  19. Phl218

Phl218 .

While we’re at it, try a Döner Kebap there.
    Best way to feed the fam on a budget. Or cure a hangover

Triple X likes this.
  20. Triple X

I can eat it but not spell it. LOL

Phl218 likes this.