1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

All Wheel Drive Tire Replacement

Discussion in 'General' started by speedluvn, Jan 31, 2020.

1. speedluvn

speedluvn Man card Issuer

I had a flat and need to replaced the tire. I had my transfer case chain recently replaced. I understand needing to change the tires on the axle (both /two) tires. I have a tire store place telling me that I need to replace all 4. Company policy :rolleyes:. I don't see the reason. The tires on the unaffected axle are the same tires. They were replaced at the same time, a set of 4.

Is this a ploy for the "service manager" to sell more tires?

2. sharkattack

sharkattack Rescued pets over people. All day, every day

I believe you can just replace the ones on the same axle, as you said. Seems like a ploy to sell 2 extra tires.

3. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

There's a limit to the variation in tire diameters when it comes to AWD or full time 4x4...should be a note in the owner's manual.
    If the wear on the old tires creates too much difference to a new tire, you might be able to find a service that can “shave” the new tire to match the other three.

casjoker likes this.
  4. speedluvn

Should the above matter from the tire diameters on one axle to the tire diameter of the other axle? It seems that I can barely get tires mounted, whatchu talking about shavin' tires, mang in this litigious society of ours?

5. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

How many miles on the tires and how old are they??

6. casjoker

casjoker Refusing middle age

I have had Subarus for the last 25 years. Most all the dealers/techs will tell you to have to replace all 4. If they have less than 50% wear on the opposite tire then you are fine to replace just the flat one. You can also replace just the two on the same axle as well if below 50% wear. I was told this by my long time Subaru certified mechanic with 20+ years of experience. YMMV

7. speedluvn

Quite a few but I can't recall exactly how many. I'd have to check my records. 3 to 4 years in age, maybe. I just don't like a company policy to tell me how I should spend my money is what pisses me off :mad:

baconologist likes this.
  8. speedluvn

I understand the reason of having to replace them at least in pairs. I replaced the chain in the transfer case. I started a thread about it. It was what was making the crunching sound that I thought was a CV Joint.

9. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

That "replace all 4 shit" is full retarded.

Sounds like you should Replace the two on the same axle and move along. Unless you want to change brands and model of tire then you're better off getting all four.

If the dude at the dealership or tire store won't do it, tirerack.com and use one of their installers.

10. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

It someone depends on the type and tolerances of differential used in the AWD system front to rear. Some of the them (like the one on my 2013 Touareg TDI and most Audi's) are not very tolerant of different tire diameters between the front and rear axle. The minimum tire diameter differences should be spelled out in your owners manual.

I just got a flat this week and I am getting all 4 replaced with plenty of life left in the old tire. I am planning on driving my SUV until it dies, so I am not risking blowing up my diff.

11. speedluvn

I considered having tires sent to my home but tire installers just charge more to mount them. I'd only consider that option if it was a hard to get tire.

12. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

Not if the difference is within limits specified in your manual.
    Shavin' - think lathe for tires.

13. Mechdziner714

Mechdziner714 More Gas Less Brakes

If you believe the same axle has to have very similar tires, why not all 4 with an AWD system? The transfer case that ties them together could have issues just like the other 2 differentials? I suppose there are different types of AWD systems out there but all 4 sounds seems reasonable especially if 2 of them are more that ~30% used. If dealers have made this a policy there is likely a good reason. We have 2 AWD vehicles and have always replaced all 4, but they needed all 4. For some strange reason they seem to wear at almost the exact same rate.

cav115 likes this.
  14. 2blueYam

So do mine, except that goes out the window when a hunk of metal goes through the tread near the shoulder. 265/50 R19s ain't common or cheap.

speedluvn likes this.
  15. cav115

cav115 Well-Known Member

\
    This.

All four need to be same cicumference.

16. rabbit73

rabbit73 Scheiße

A 265/50-19 has a 92.6" diameter when new (making the big assumption it's true to size). Most tires have about 12/32 " or so of tread. Assuming you wore it down to a slick it would be just over 1% difference in diameter from a brand new tire - just about an inch in total circumference. Seems like the wheel speed sensors should have at least that tolerance built in but who knows. I imagine the replace all 4 is liability.

17. 2blueYam

Wow. Who knew that I have an almost 7' 8" tall tire on my 5'9" tall SUV. Maybe you meant circumference?:D

beac83 and R Acree like this.
  18. rabbit73

rabbit73 Scheiße

Yeah I'm pretty sure I did.

19. speedluvn

I just felt like someone was blowing smoke when I made the appointment. I wanted to check with the bbs officials for a better understanding. So what problems could it create?

20. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Your man card could be revoked for being a total pussy and letting some zit faced snot nosed tire counter twit push you around. Like a bitch. :Poke: