1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MotoAmerica Climate

Discussion in 'General' started by Superbikeorbust, Dec 29, 2019.

1. GNC

GNC Jim Rashid

My company just hired a guy 46yo with supposedly 15yrs experience. I had the unfortunate luck of training him . I gave him a head gasket and water pump replacement on a Mitsubishi small body forklift. Easily an 8 hr or less job. I explained he should remove the counterweight and radiator. He explained he has done these before no need to. it took him 17hours to complete over 3 days. customer calls says it's leaking something. I go there take a look the radiator was leaking , he damaged it removing the fan. I explained he should have removed the rad and copped an attitude. So I order a rad on warranty ( $700 part ) and sent him back. took him 5 hours to change , a 2 hour job at most. Next day customer calls still leaking. I send him back the rad squeeze type hose clamps leaking. I asked him why he didn't replace , he says he never seen them leak before. Next day customer calls still leaking. I go and look the small hose that passes thru the lp vaporizer are leaking at clamps. Send him back he explains to customer that this shouldn't be warranty as he never originally replied them. I explained to him that he had all these hoses off doing the head gasket. Someone with 15yrs experience would have known better , This custom spends over $250,00 a year with us. I told my boss to cut his losses and fire him.

Oh and as far as tools go I highly doubt any forklift company would ever supply the basic tools as guys would quit and take them with or lose some and never replace them.

Boman Forklift likes this.
  2. lopitt85

lopitt85 Well-Known Member

"Someone stole it" isnt good enough. They're still responsible for theft if they didnt secure them. Unless someone broke in a locked up building, and then cut the lock off a locked toolbox, it's their fault for failing to secure the tools.

GNC and cav115 like this.
  3. cav115

cav115 Well-Known Member

Absolutely.

Final remedy as a businessman?

Fire them right?

There's the problem finding the next one it's not promising.

so you're kind of backed into a corner and that's why the program doesn't work very well is because of the basic premise that they're not responsible to begin with me

The bottom line is you eat a lot of s*** these days as a business owner.

Boman Forklift, GNC and TurboBlew like this.
  4. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

its hilarious. Putting ads out for positions always produced comedy
    The only non negotiable was "Valid DL w/ no suspensions or pending violations" A pretty low bar in regards to qualification.

5. sheepofblue

sheepofblue Well-Known Member

You sure have a lot of reasons why you will fail, I betting you are right.

6. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

No suspensions ever, hell I couldn't get a job then. I got 4 tickets in one night in Dallas going to he street races back in 86ish. Road a wheelie through an intersection and down the road, but pulled over when I saw the cop. He told me he was shocked I pulled over, he wated to get in a chase, like what usually happens with guys on those Ninja crotch rockets.

cav115, TurboBlew and GNC like this.
  7. GNC

GNC Jim Rashid

Check out the new rules package.

8. bradd15

bradd15 Well-Known Member

Also remember that MA is going back to every round being 3 day events (no more 2 days) so that is more tires, fuel, hotel/food, travel, etc..which can be a strain on teams.
    As someone stated in another thread if there is little to no return (or projected return) on an investment it becomes more difficult to bring in a sponsor/investor.

With all that said I want to support MA and hopefully do a few more rounds this year.

9. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Overall the 3 days aren't much more expensive since one of the main expenses for most teams is travel and they work better for fans and the riders so it's a very good thing they're going back to them. Agree on the no return on investment but this is professional racing not club racing, you have to have realistic expectations about what you can possibly get.

Superbikeorbust and Scott S. like this.
  10. Boman Forklift

I know for our privateer team, I would have preferred 3 days. I spoke with some privateer racers and they all preferred the 3 day format.

Nice to know MotoAmerica tried something, received feedback from the racers, listened to them, and decided it was better as a 3 day.

11. NickyZ

NickyZ Well-Known Member

This. I draft quite a few agreements for employers that require an employee repay for training/licensures/certification/etc. if they are not employed for a certain period of time. Employers often think this "stick" will reduce turnover, but in my experience it doesn't work. A carrot works relatively better (I have no clue what works best).

In some jurisdictions you can claw back the owed $ under the agreement from the final paycheck, but you still must pay at least minimum wage for hours worked. Which means your left with a small claims case against an ex-employee. Good luck coming out ahead on that - even if you do it yourself and don't hire an attorney (you can now represent a company in small claims court in Ohio instead of hiring an attorney) it won't be worth your time.

12. turner38

turner38 Well-Known Member

Honestly the two day deals cost us almost as much and weren’t as good of a value because track time was so spread out. Would have been much more efficient to do it all in one day if there is only one race for that class.
    JMO

13. t11ravis

t11ravis huge carbon footprint

Agreed. Move in Thursday but don't race until Sunday doesn't work for a lot of people.

Superbikeorbust likes this.
  14. javyday

javyday Well-Known Member

Most racers did not like the 2 day events. Motoamerica asked

Superbikeorbust likes this.
  15. regularguy

regularguy Always Krispy

unless you wad up your bike and run out of time to fix it.

rcarson15 likes this.
  16. Superbikeorbust

Superbikeorbust Well-Known Member

i
    More like hated it.

17. Boman Forklift

Over the years this guy has worked for me 2 or 3 times. They always sound so promising and then the BS starts with warranty work and slow execution.

GNC likes this.
  18. Elsinore

Elsinore Well-Known Member

Maybe I missed it in another thread --- is there any data published on the current balance sheets of MA?
    Estimated income/expenses or a reports to investors? Just curious.

19. Cajun Kid

Cajun Kid Well-Known Member

Just blame DMG..... The "obama" of road racing.

Thanks DMG.

20. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I think there is one actual investor so I really doubt there is anything public.

GNC likes this.