1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MotoAmerica Climate

Discussion in 'General' started by Superbikeorbust, Dec 29, 2019.

1. turner38

turner38 Well-Known Member

I’m a tech because it is what I am good at. Always have been. What dealers want to pay is a joke these days. Most are only paying techs a average of 15% of the labor they turn. That makes it a cut throat business to be in because you have to churn out hours to survive.
    I have a young guy that works for me, 23 years old and has the ability to do
    Most anything with a little direction. I pay him 40% of labor turned. Same deal I got at my first flat rate job.

It is a shitty industry to be in at the dealership level and even worse if you are in the tire store type service shops. Way too much emphasis on up-sells and not enough on taking care of customer needs and best interests.

TurboBlew, 418 and cav115 like this.
  2. cav115

cav115 Well-Known Member

Yep.

We are a diagnostic/drivability shop first, though we also do maintenance if asked.

The good money is in the skilled side.

36 yrs and counting. ASE master plus advanced driveability. All my techs are certified.

We`re the shop that fixes it when others can`t. Love that satisfaction we get.

The domestic dealers are bad, cutting techs whenever they can, because they make money in sales and don`t care about service as much.

Even worse when it`s warranty.

In contrast, our local Honda dealers actually pay their techs more for warranty work.

Smart!

Last edited: Jan 2, 2020
  3. 418

418 Expert #59

Did you really just say that after talking shit about millions of Millenials you apparently got all figured out? C'mon now.

BTW $36/hr flat rate sounds good to the uninitiated. From what I've seen working at a GM and Chrysler dealer, it was feast or famine for my guys. It all ended up averaging out as pretty unremarkable pay especially considering the lack of benefits and the huge investment in their tools. And I had some sharp guys.

4. cav115

cav115 Well-Known Member

Did`nt say all. Please try paying attention. And did`nt call them scum and backstabbers.

We`re not flat rate. And not a dealer. And I furnish all special tools and they get a tool allowance. You can do that when you run an efficient business. Again, I have three long termers doing very well.

And another who left after 18 yrs to start his own successful business.

I have only been in business 36 yrs, so you`re right, I probably just don`t get it. Maybe someday..

Take care. Done with this. Carry on if you like.

5. GNC

GNC Jim Rashid

Our company pays hourly rate and whatever we bill we get paid for. Yes I bought all my own tools , why should the company pay for them? as you mentioned in an earlier post you thought the techs were scum , well sorry pal to me it's the service writers that write up shitty quotes . maybe you work for crappy dealers . The auto dealers in Chicago are mostly union so they get great benefits . I never worked in an auto dealership so I can't speculate. I know in the lift truck industry in Chicago area they pay pretty well . I don't believe that guy was talking shit about millennials just stating his experience with them and other shops he had talked to. So basically you don't need to be a dick about it.

cav115 likes this.
  6. rafa

rafa Well-Known Member

No horse in this race, but pretty much every other type of job the employer provides the "tools" you need to do that job. Be it a desk and a computer, a spatula and a frying pan or a lathe and a mill.

7. GNC

GNC Jim Rashid

Totally understand what you're saying , we're talking hand tools and small power tools , it would be preposterous for and employer to expect you to bring in a lathe or a mill , also anything in an office setting . I'm guessing you're a millennial and your expectations are skewed.
    Most real mechanics take pride in the tools they buy and their tool boxes and it reflects in the work they do in most cases.

Boman Forklift and cav115 like this.
  8. 418

418 Expert #59

Here we go again. :crackup:

rafa likes this.
  9. rafa

rafa Well-Known Member

You missed my point, but that is alright.

10. GNC

GNC Jim Rashid

I'm sorry I missed your point! Every type of career is different. Certain types of businesses you would expect the company would supply everything ,I get that but trades such as mechanics , carpenters , plumbers , HVAC and such don't in most cases and never will.

Boman Forklift, cav115 and rafa like this.
  11. GNC

GNC Jim Rashid

It's not here we go again it's people like you that have to belittle other peoples point of view on here .I also think you're the type of person that can't just say ok that's your opinion and leave it at that. This is just my opinion !

cav115 likes this.
  12. lopitt85

lopitt85 Well-Known Member

I think it could help, and would be feasible, to handle it the way we handle equipment in the military.

The shop could purchase the tools required to do the job. Incoming employee gets to inventory the set and then its issued to him (signs for it accepting legal responsibility). From there anything that "walks away" or is negligently destroyed is payed for by him. Something broken with normal use or wear and tear is replaced under warranty.

Could be good way to start new techs that don't have their own tools yet. They can then purchase their own tools for use, or continue to be responsible for the shops issued tools. New hires who have their own tools can just use their own if they want.

cav115 and GNC like this.
  13. GNC

GNC Jim Rashid

I have 4 kid's that are millennials , all have college degrees and are successful . They all were around the motorcycle shop but 3 chose to have business career's one is a HS teacher . So I do understand millennials

Boman Forklift and cav115 like this.
  14. cav115

cav115 Well-Known Member

Indeed. There you go again... :crackup:

Last edited: Jan 2, 2020
  15. cav115

cav115 Well-Known Member

Being a millennial does`nt make you good or bad.

it`s how you raise them.

mattology and GNC like this.
  16. cav115

cav115 Well-Known Member

We are trying this on a limited basis.

418 and GNC like this.
  17. lopitt85

lopitt85 Well-Known Member

I think it could give you a leg up in hiring top candidates. If pay and benefits are pretty equal between two companies, the more attractive location would be one where you don't have to spend $x amount of your earnings on tools.

If you don't mind me asking, what was your reasoning with trying it?

18. cav115

cav115 Well-Known Member

That`s the hope.

We discussed it at advisory meetings (not my idea). We will see, keeping inventory can be a challenge with time.

19. Superbikeorbust

Superbikeorbust Well-Known Member

EWC is wide open. No spec tire.

2blueYam likes this.
  20. turner38

turner38 Well-Known Member

Ehh, in this line of work too guys tend to take pride in their tools and want to have stuff of their own.
    You can usually tell what kind of guy they are by there tools....

GNC and cav115 like this.