1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Have bikes ruined sports cars for you?

Discussion in 'General' started by USracer900, Dec 28, 2019.

1. baconologist

baconologist Well-Known Member

Do it!
    Took my Daytona up to test and tune a year or so ago. What a riot! 10k launches, carry the front wheel for a bit and 10sec later hard on the brakes. It’s like every thing great about a race start without the elbows and shoving in turn 1

Phl218 and TurboBlew like this.
  2. ton

ton Arf!

no.

i've never had the finances to afford a true sports car, anyway. so i drool over the unobtanium same as it ever was.

3. roy826ex

roy826ex Been around here a while

No, closely watching Honda right now with the 20th anniversary of the S2000 coming up. They’re doing a celebration with a hopped up old one. Hoping it’s a teaser to see if anyone’s awake.

Hope they reintroduce this car. Wife had a 2006 AP2 and it was an incredible car in the corners. Literally a drivers car! Hail storm of epic proportions destroyed it one day back in 2013 with only 59k on the clock. State Farm wouldn’t total the car, cut a $10k check to her and said see ya. I contacted a dealership friend and he sold the car as is online for $8k to some shady dealership up north who repaired it and sold it as nothing had ever happened to it.

She bought a Subaru BRZ after the Honda was sold. Complete disappointment, the Subaru was a pos! Engine had to be pulled at 20k miles for a timing cover puking oil. It couldn’t hold a candle to the S2000s curve prowess either. Engine in the Honda was a jewel at 6-8k rpms on the vetec.

We want another one built Honda!

scottn and Senna like this.
  4. beechkingd

beechkingd Well-Known Member

I loved my AP1 S2000, had it for 25oK miles, it was a lot of fun heel toeing into corners. I've had lots of sports cars over the years, they are different than bikes, sure they aren't as fast but its a different skill set to make them go fast.

roy826ex likes this.
  5. Chaplain45

Chaplain45 Well-Known Member

I see super cars and the occasional hyper car on the local canyon roads. They can only go as fast as the car in front of them. My 18-yr sportbike makes short work of those pokie drivers that dont pull off.

I can easily fit 4 bikes in the garage space of one sports car.

Towing a sportcar to the track vs towing a track bike. Repair and maintenance costs No comparison.

Hospital costs....... cagers get the knod.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

6. FZ1guy

FZ1guy Hey...watch this

I want a car that is as fast as my old FZ1 but it would cost as much as a house.

sharkattack and cha0s#242 like this.
  7. mgiossi

mgiossi Well-Known Member

8. TWF2

TWF2 2 heads are better than 1

Tracked one for year or so, did not like it. Too slow and handling is more of hype than anything, it lucks feeling. I would take same era M3 (E36) over it any time.
    Replaced it with Cayman, faster and better handling.
    I get bored with cars fast, can not replace bike. They are just too slow between corners.
    Lemons is fun, old junkers but at least you are racing in constant traffic which makes it fun. :)

9. cpettit

cpettit Well-Known Member

I like a fast car for a daily driver but can’t expect the same kind of fast you get from a bike.

two bikes that stand out to me are a friends hyabusa that I rode once and my 1299 Ducati. Both with go fast in a way I never knew was possible.

And I hear the OP on the Mustang thing. I drove a new GT for a few days in Arizona last month and it was a turd IMO.

10. bwhip

bwhip latebraker.com

For me I feel like I’ve found the next best thing (at least that’s somewhat affordable). In fact, one review I read before buying described the M2 as a “four-wheeled Sportbike.” I absolutely love it, it’s incredibly fun to drive and provides thrills very similar. It’ll never be a bike, however. But pretty damn close, and a nice alternative when weather is spotty and/or I want to bring someone else or stuff along.

[​IMG]

stk0308, Senna and Ra.Ge. Raptor like this.
  11. blkduc

blkduc no time for jibba jabba

I retired from racing years ago and don't ride street so I needed to fill the void of not having a fast machine and not being on the track. Last year I bought a WRX to do trackdays and daily drive and it's been a blast.

K51000 and Ra.Ge. Raptor like this.
  12. Woofentino Pugr

Woofentino Pugr Well-Known Member

Thinking of hanging up the motorcycles after this season and finishing my motorsports career out the same way I started it, on 4 wheels.

blkduc likes this.
  13. Senna

Senna Well-Known Member

They pretty much have for me, yes. I don't really desire a high horsepower monster anymore like I once did. Something lower power like a Miata would be great for some roads I have near me. Much more power than that and I'm just going to get into trouble.

I've found that I get the most fun out of pushing whatever I'm piloting to my limit. That's a pretty dangerous mentality on the street no matter what you're in.

The speed to dollar ratio is really just incomparable. I had a chance encounter with the (at the time) new Focus RS when I first got on my ZX-6R. I walked that thing in like 4th gear on the highway like it was standing still. It was ridiculous.

If I got out of bikes, I'd probably build a PC sim rig in my basement and also do some kart racing. Car track days are just too expensive.

14. Scott S.

Scott S. Well-Known Member

Nah just two different things. Spent my career with Porsche, Audi, Ferrari and others. Always had a bike around. As a teen was into muscle cars and straight line stuff till a friend took me on a ride in Austin Healy Sprite H production prepared SCCA race car. I was hooked after the first corner. Moved on to sports cars, Opel GT, then a brief fascination-frustration period with British Leland.. Triumph GT6 and an MGB. Best car thrill was three days in an Audi R8 at Sonoma but coming off the last turn an onto the straight before the uphill left was like... Just waiting..
    Lots of options out there now and just found my favorite compromise.. Toyota Xrunner and a race bike in the bed.. apex all the way to the track.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2019
    Tj Hunter and blkduc like this.
  15. Sweatypants

Sweatypants I am so smart! S-M-R-T... I mean S-M-A-R-T!

Get a car with over 400whp that weighs 2200lbs. and has amazing suspension instead of stacking 2 cars worth of weight together on garbage suspension just because the engine makes rumbly noises and you'll feel differently.

Phl218 and USracer900 like this.
  16. Scott S.

17. Scott S.

Have... It's fun. It still isn't a bike. Everything can be fun in its element

18. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

For me, there’s no crossover; I don’t compare them.

19. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

Ehh...it's still better than the bus or a corolla.

20. Senna

Senna Well-Known Member

Depends on the Corolla.

[​IMG]

scottn, Steeltoe, 418 and 4 others like this.