1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best Day Ever!!!!!

Discussion in 'General' started by StaccatoFan, Nov 7, 2019.

1. Spang308

Spang308 Well-Known Member

When I was a little dude...maybe 4, my Dad worked at a Ford dealership as a mechanic. He used to go in on Saturdays to prep new cars for gravy money and I'd tag along. Mom was shopping or just needed a break. Maybe drinking martinis...who knows? Anyway, Dad would sit me down on a fender blanket with a handful of tools and give me a Holley carb to take apart. I'd strip it all the way down and eventually I figured out how to reassemble it. I still remember him showing me how to set a float level after I got the first one back together.
    Good times...

2. RichB

RichB Well-Known Member

Reminds me of the 7pm update of this old gem The_667f8f_663126.jpg

3. BigBird

BigBird blah

Good on you D-Zum.

My boy, all of 8, told me it's my house so it's my job. Think he gets that from his mom, who said if she ever had to cut the grass she's moving.

Sent from my smatrfone

4. Resident Plarp

Resident Plarp drittsekkmanufacturing.com

I wouldn’t say that’s abusive. I stepped on a LEGO yesterday. As retribution, the two eldest had to scrub the baseboards in the kitchen and front bathroom. I wasn’t happy with the work, so they did it all again.

5. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

You are hardass!

I had the girls fold and put their laundry away. They were rewarded with ice cream.

Some prefer the carrot, some need the stick ;)

6. Resident Plarp

Resident Plarp drittsekkmanufacturing.com

Carrots are for homework and cleaning up the dinner table. Sticks are for LEGOS on a wood floor because abortion is illegal in the 26th and 43rd trimesters.

7. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

I’d never heard the term “growler” used before and for some reason it’s got me dying laughing over here.

8. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Holy shit, what a segue.

Kids are watching some fucktarded kid show on Netflix while I’m making breakfast, next thing I hear is some squeaky voice talking about being afraid of the “Hairy Growler”...

Dubbaya tee eff?!? :confused:

9. That’s invaluable at that age. It’s not about the actual carb it’s about developing your thought process at a young age. Hats off to your pops who may or may not have known he was building your skill foundation that in this day and age is f ing lost with millennials. My 7 year old has his own tools and I make him work on his own stuff (bicycle, cleaning and re-lubing bearings on razor scooter, etc). For me it’s a couple life lessons a) he’s learning how to actually do stuff and how things work b) take care of your stuff and it will take care of you. I showed him how to adjust the brakes on his bicycle earlier this week, and we lubed the cables, etc. He said- these are the best ever. Which to me was great because he saw cause and effect. An hour later he comes back from our neighbors house with the neighbors kid. Dad. I can’t use tools by myself but xxxxx’s brakes aren’t very good. Can I fix them for him? He was damn proud as a peacock, I’d also be lying if I said I was not.
    It’s awesome seeing a kid on a mower, shoveling dirt, even if it’s to make a sweet jump they are going to f themselves up on. You just tone it down where they get hurt a bit but not injured :)

BigBird, lopitt85, HPPT and 2 others like this.
  10. I’d just pull up bikini wax on my phone and show it to the kid. Growlers should never be hairy, well unless you have a retro fetish.

11. G 97

G 97 Garth

Huh?

12. Spang308

Spang308 Well-Known Member

I think he was mostly just trying to keep me out of his hair while he worked. :D

That said, at a young age I raced BMX and he had me building and maintaining the race bikes. All good lessons/experience for sure.

BigBird likes this.
  13. Dan Dubeau

Dan Dubeau Well-Known Member

Mine did that too. Also bought a snowblower when I left too. :) I get to use them when he's on vacation and always tell him how much nicer it is to clear his driveway with a snowblower instead of a shovel :)

Damned if I'm letting my kids cut the grass though. That's MY time. They can do the trimming though. I've even thought about cutting down the straight shaft on the Stihl to fit the boy for next year. :)

BigBird likes this.
  14. backcountryme

backcountryme Word to your mother.

I had a similar experience. But it was with race cars . My dads boss had a race shop right next door to the chili plat my dad was manager of. We were over there all the time. I used to sit in there and he would give me little jobs to do. Then, when he got his own car it was nightly in the garage. It got to the point that by the time I was about 10 I would have the car on the trailer, and all the spares loaded before he even got home from work when we were leaving for a race trip. I got to know enough about the cars by age 12 that if there was a red I was out on the track making adjustments to the car (driver could not get out. If they did you went to the back of the restart). I can’t thank my old man for all the lessons that hanging out in the race shop taught me.

BigBird and Spang308 like this.