1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hurting or helping...Dogs

Discussion in 'General' started by zx6rfool, Sep 27, 2019.

1. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

Sorry to both you and Evelyne for the loss of Yogi. R.I.P. Pup.

2. rd49

rd49 Well-Known Member

Ahhh damn man, got something in my eye. :(

3. Trinity Rx7

Trinity Rx7 Well-Known Member

Unfortunately this thread came at a good time and was very helpful. Our english bulldog Stifler was 14.5 years old and over the last year was just slowing down more and more. We knew his time was coming or we would have to make that extremely hard choice. The best advise from this thread was to have the mobile vet come to the house when it was time. He was calm and relaxed in his bed when he passed. I cant recommend enough for any of you that when its time have the vet come to your house so your pup can go peacefully at home.

4. Funkm05

Funkm05 Dork

Sorry to hear, but good to hear it was good overall experience for all involved. You did right by him.

Trinity Rx7 likes this.
  5. Funkm05

Funkm05 Dork

Ironic that I was the last one to post in here. I’ve mentioned my 15 year old golden in a few of these threads. Unfortunately, I’m prepping for what I suspect will be the answer coming from a vet appt I just scheduled for this afternoon. F@ck me ... I’m not ready for this. Hasn’t eaten in 2 days and is just absolutely lethargic. I think he’s telling us its time, and I’m gutted. Still holding out hope for the outside chance, but readying for the worst. :(

6. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

So sorry man.

Funkm05 likes this.
  7. opinion914

opinion914 Well-Known Member

Just try to keep the pups best interest in mind. Not our selfish emotions. Fingers crossed.

Funkm05 likes this.
  8. 650 RACER

650 RACER Well-Known Member

Know you are not alone. Our 9 year old Irish Terrier was just diagnosed with lymphoma a couple weeks back. Docs said he had a month. He seems to be doing well and we are doing as much with him as we can but man talk about heartbroken. My 15 year old Chessie last week started stumbling around and she got some meds and seems to be doing much better but fuck. I'm going to most likely lose my 2 best friends this year. Tough to wrap my head around. Hate this part of dogs. You get so attached to them then they leave. All you can do is get another and do your best to give them the best life you can. Our dogs from here on out will be rescues. Have one rescue at home and she's a total sweetheart although she's wild. Ha dogs man.....

Funkm05 likes this.
  9. nigel smith

nigel smith Well-Known Member

No matter what happens, you can be certain that he absolutely trusts you to look out for him. I'm hoping for the best. Goldens are the sweetest creatures to ever walk this earth.

Funkm05 likes this.
  10. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

Two of them meeting you at the door are capable of killing you with enthusiastic love.

Funkm05 likes this.
  11. pjzocc

pjzocc Well-Known Member

We had to say goodbye to Emmitt back in June. 14.5yr old Golden. My first dog as a grown up person. It was a Friday and I cried all weekend. We’ve got another Golden (Troy - 13.5yrs). They’re absolutely fantastic dogs.

Thoughts and prayers to you, Funk.

Funkm05 likes this.
  12. Funkm05

Funkm05 Dork

Well ... we’ll know tomorrow. X-rays showed no masses. Took blood to run some tests. Vet is thinking either a GI infection or organ failure. Need the blood tests to confirm. So ... we wait. And spoil the hell out of him tonight just in case.

Razr likes this.
  13. G Dawg

G Dawg Broken Member

I'm approaching the same . My boy has terminal stage 3 mast cell cancer.
    He has has a massive tumor on his groin area and hip.
    I have to put beef gravy and rice in with his food or he won't eat, which he needs to do before I can give him his meds.
    Vet does not give him long, but said as long as he's not in pain it's ok.
    Got him @ 5 months, he's 2 months shy of 12.
    It's killing me .

Razr likes this.
  14. nigel smith

Treasure the time you still have. He has no comprehension of what's happening to him. As long as he has you, he's as happy as any dog who ever lived.

Funkm05 and G Dawg like this.
  15. G Dawg

G Dawg Broken Member

Champ res.jpg Champ Puppy.jpg
    Posted incorrectly, it's was 5 weeks not months.
    I had to ween him as the owners abused the littter.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2020
    nigel smith and Funkm05 like this.
  16. Funkm05

Funkm05 Dork

Just got confirmation of the blood tests. Liver failure and early stage kidney failure. We’ll be saying goodbye tomorrow. Absolutely gutted right now. 28428B70-381E-4429-8C6B-96F2275449EC.jpeg

17. G Dawg

G Dawg Broken Member

Sorry man. Champ gave me a scare last night, started choking would not drink water.
    Makes it hard to think about anything else.
    Looks like a great dog. :(

Funkm05 likes this.
  18. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

Sorry, but you're doing the right thing, don't make him suffer. It sucks for you no matter when you do it.

Funkm05 likes this.
  19. opinion914

opinion914 Well-Known Member

Fuck

Funkm05 likes this.
  20. nigel smith

He has had a long life with a family that loves him. No dog wants anything more. Nothing I can possibly say will help, but sharing your life with a dog is always worth the pain. Godspeed, good boy.

Funkm05, G Dawg and Banditracer like this.