1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hurting or helping...Dogs

Discussion in 'General' started by zx6rfool, Sep 27, 2019.

1. zx6rfool

zx6rfool Stacks Wood

In the divorce I got the dogs, both are now blind,def, and incontinent, one does not eat unless forced. At what point am I... At what point am i being cruel? My kids love them, but I dont want to punish them(the dogs). How, at what point do you decide? Its breaking my heart from all sides.

SpeedyE likes this.
  2. RossK6

RossK6 Grid Filler

If the dog can't dog...

3. zx6rfool

zx6rfool Stacks Wood

But I want them to dog soo bad, I lost my last two to a house fire, and a thunderstorm. Ive never decided an end

SpeedyE likes this.
  4. Past Glory

Past Glory I still have several AVON calendars from the 90's

Any being that doesn't want to eat is doing so because their body is shutting down. Think about your friend, not about yourself now.

5. HPPT

HPPT !!!

How old are they?

6. britx303

britx303 Boomstick Butcher…..

Sorry brother.........its time. We all here know this hurts like nothing else,but its what may be best, although painful.Best of luck and you know you've got everybody here to vent to.

7. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

What these two said. It's time. It always sucks to make that decision but don't make the dogs suffer. It only makes it worse to drag it out.

SpeedyE likes this.
  8. zx6rfool

zx6rfool Stacks Wood

14 and 15

9. L8RSK8R

L8RSK8R Well-Known Member

Ugh, the thought of this. Sounds like it's about time.

10. zx6rfool

zx6rfool Stacks Wood

I make a blend of ground turkey rice, and wellness dog food. Ive been very sick and under a lot of stress with EOY. Im going to give them another month of cleaning carpets, and special treats. I dont have the heart to say good bye yet.

SpeedyE and ToofPic like this.
  11. BrianC636

BrianC636 Well-Known Member

It’s rough to be in that spot but do you want the last memories of them to be you cleaning carpets?

There is no easy time to make this decision.

Sorry man, my heart goes out to you.

12. zx6rfool

zx6rfool Stacks Wood

I asked the vet today, how do I know when they are suffering? They dont get up to potty, they bark at nothing, they attack each other because they dont know each other. I get no answer. I know one is ready, the other cant live with out him. Like Freddy is ready, but I know Betsy, would wither, painfully. Yet she is not quite as bad as Freddy.

SpeedyE likes this.
  13. nigel smith

nigel smith Well-Known Member

I understand completely. My old dog was at the vet with no hope of recovery. Making the call to put him down was not easy. Before we could do it, he drifted off on his own, as if to spare me the pain.

14. zx6rfool

zx6rfool Stacks Wood

Another month. Thats my decision .

tony 340, SpeedyE and ToofPic like this.
  15. zx6rfool

zx6rfool Stacks Wood

Ill clean carpets and poop, and all messes for a bit longer.

SpeedyE and ToofPic like this.
  16. zx6rfool

zx6rfool Stacks Wood

BTW yall rock, thank you.

17. Gixxerguy855

Gixxerguy855 Well-Known Member

Such a painful time. When you hate to leave the house and can’t stand for them to be out of your sight. You become a prisoner to the situation too.

I feel for ya. You’ll know when it’s time, just don’t make them suffer, they don’t love you for that feeling.

18. zx6rfool

zx6rfool Stacks Wood

God, do I take the kids out of school to be there? Do I just tell them. The dogs are older than them. Man I just want to barf.

SpeedyE likes this.
  19. lopitt85

lopitt85 Well-Known Member

I lost mine when she was almost 16. She was still able to dog. Would play as much as she could. Just took time to loosen up and start moving around because of the arthritis. She asked to go outside and never came back to the door. Found her laying down by the gate.

As much a I bawled my eyes out and still miss her, if she was blind, deaf, and incontinent, and not eating...I would like to think I would've had the strength to make the decision to let her go

AC1108 likes this.
  20. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

One of the few ways dogs show they're in pain is shivering. If you see them shivering / shaking they're hurting.