1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2012 R6 Steering Lock No Key

Discussion in 'General' started by hippiedreads, Nov 2, 2019.

1. TWF2

TWF2 2 heads are better than 1

Take drill if screwdriver fails :)

2. fastedyamaha

fastedyamaha Well-Known Member

Wrong...take BFH if screwdriver alone doesn’t work. A nice dead blow hammer works wonders.

pscook likes this.
  3. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

IF one can get to the nut. Many bikes’ cast aluminum top clamp comes down over the nut, making access virtually impossible.

4. baconologist

baconologist Well-Known Member

5. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Lemme see if I’m grokking this.

You’re going to permanently damage a part of an abandoned motorcycle to determine whether or not you’re going to buy it?

And the guy who’s selling it is cool with that?

I may be functionally retarded, but it seems to me that if the tow shop can show ownership through abandonment, they can send ol’ Yamamamaha a request to have a key made based on the VIN.

badmoon692008 and Skter505 like this.
  6. hippiedreads

hippiedreads Active Member

I'm on a time constraint and he just wants it gone because it's been sitting for years. That and im pretty sure he doesn't care enough to do so because he could have done it after he assumed ownership of it and didn't.

We can close this thread now though, I've gotten sufficient advice on how others would go about doing it and im just gonna take a hammer and screw driver to it then lock on a pair of vice grips and turn until it breaks. And if that doesn't work I'll just do the good ole thief way and sheer the locking pin.

7. Seems you could be spending a lot more on stuff you don’t know about.

8. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

And the dude who “owns” it is going to be cool with you destroying parts of it and walking away if you choose not to buy it?

Can I take you on my next test drive? ;)

9. hippiedreads

Appreciate the input and you may think it's silly to just not go the locksmith route but I can just jump the ignition at the wire connectors and check everything like that for no cost at all. I dont want to run the bike with gas thats over two years old and been sitting outside that whole time so getting the bike running isn't something I care about today. I'll worry about all the other details later. Worse comes to worse I'll be parting out a 2012 R6, at the price I'm getting it at I'll still make out ahead.

ducnut likes this.
  10. hippiedreads

Dude already said he needs to get the steering head unlocked regardless because he wants to move it so he can pull a car out that's parked behind it.

11. hippiedreads

I'll have cash in hand and I've already talked to him. I'll get the steering unlocked however I need to do it and as long as the motor turns over and isn't seized I'll buy it at the price we already negotiated, if it doesn't we will renegotiate.

I think some of you guys are getting too worked up on the small details that didn't apply to the question being asked.

12. pefrey

pefrey Well-Known Member

Can't Yamaha, or somebody that works for them look up the key code from the VIN? Then for $30 at a dealer, have a key cut from the code.

13. fastedyamaha

fastedyamaha Well-Known Member

That’s still $30 more than a screwdriver and BFH will be...plus the leg work to get that done.

14. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

You must get smoking deals on matched ignition, gas cap and trunk locksets

15. baconologist

baconologist Well-Known Member

Not relevant because race bike

hippiedreads likes this.
  16. Clay

Clay Well-Known Member

Purely an FYI, but I've seen sets for not much on fleabay often.

hippiedreads likes this.
  17. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Answer to the original question is no. Answer to not really asked questions - put the rear in the air, put it in a high gear, see if it spins over. If not, walk. Also not asked - see if the guy got a mechanics lien, if not you're taking possession of a stolen vehicle if the actual owner ever comes after it. Technical bs sure but still.

18. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Good call.

19. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

My phone didn’t ring. :confused:

20. R Acree

R Acree Banned

You musta had it on vibrate.