1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2012 R6 Steering Lock No Key

Discussion in 'General' started by hippiedreads, Nov 2, 2019.

1. hippiedreads

hippiedreads Active Member

I'm looking at a R6 that has been sitting in a repo lot for the last two years that doesn't have keys and the ignition is in the lock position. My question is, can I take off the top triple tree on the R6 with the ignition being in the locked position?

My other option is to hammer a flat head screwdriver into the ignition until I break all the internals and then unlock the steering lock that way.

If anyone has any experience with this bike, please chime in and let me know how you would go about doing this.

2. K51000

K51000 Well-Known Member

Does the motor turn over? If not, hell with the steering lock

3. hippiedreads

No idea since there's no key so what I'm going to do is get the steering unlocked give it a good push in 1st gear and drop the clutch to see if it turns. Gotta be able to push it to do that though so I gotta get it unlocked.

4. baconologist

baconologist Well-Known Member

Put a socket on the crank amd turn it :dunno:

5. hippiedreads

I dont want to be dicking with taking the fairings off and I've gotta get that steering lock unlocked if I do buy it so I can load it in my van

6. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

A guy on each side of the bike can torque the clip-ons and break the steering lock. Thieves do it all the time.

7. hippiedreads

Dont you inherently run the risk of cracking the frame doing so?

8. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

Doubtful. The headstock is pretty stout.

There’s a guy who does bike thief videos on YT, explaining everything.

R1M370 likes this.
  9. R1M370

R1M370 Dr. P Ness

The thieves do make it look easy on YouTube. They break that steering lock in seconds

ducnut likes this.
  10. hippiedreads

So now three options, I'd really like to limit my possibilities of damaging the frame though. It's significantly cheaper to replace ignition or the top triple then the frame so I'll probably try in that order. It'd be cool if someone could tell me if I can get there top triple off with the ignition locked before doing all that work to find out it doesn't work.

11. BSA43

BSA43 Well-Known Member

How 'bout a locksmith?

12. hippiedreads

Spend $200 on something that I don't know if I'm going to buy? No thanks

13. zamboiv

zamboiv Well-Known Member

Well staring at it wishing it’s gonna unlock aint gonna fix it. Either bust the ignition or get a friend to help break the steering lock or call a locksmith.

I tried to say a few prayers and send some best wishes your way and it doesn’t appear to have helped.
    Best of luck.

14. fastedyamaha

fastedyamaha Well-Known Member

I say take the flat head to the lock. If you buy the bike you’re going to have to buy a lock set no matter what. So if they’re cool with it, screw driver is easiest and fastest way to see if you’re buying the bike or not.

hippiedreads likes this.
  15. baconologist

baconologist Well-Known Member

Put it on a rear stand, drop it in gear and muscle the tire around. See if it turns over

Gorilla George likes this.
  16. hippiedreads

So common consensus that I don't be able to get the top triple off with the ignition being in the lock position?

17. hippiedreads

Yeah not a bad idea bringing a rear stand with me in case I don't have a good surface to roll the bike on (if its on grass or gravel it may not have enough friction to roll the tire over and just stay locked up) I'll bring one with me!

18. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

Nope. The top clamp will not come off with the steering lock engaged.

SpeedyE likes this.
  19. TWF2

TWF2 2 heads are better than 1

Could lower fork tubes out of the upper triple. May have enough wiggle to get it out. If not could always undo nut under the triple to lower stem.

20. hippiedreads

I'm just gonna take a screwdriver and a big hammer with me

Sabre699 and pscook like this.