1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Not a fan of Bill Maher in the least, buuuut....

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by SPL170db, Sep 8, 2019.

1. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

He really nailed it on this one.

2. HPPT

HPPT !!!

I've been waiting for this thread. :crackup: There is another clip from the same show one of you guys will be reluctantly praising soon enough. I actually thought the above was going to be #2.

3. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Do we want to talk about the food industry buying off the government so they can legally lie and tell us food that’s bad for us is good for us?

Quicktoy likes this.
  4. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

One could argue until we figure out how to become immortal that mortality is the leading cause of death...period. The rest of it is just red herrings to blame it on.

But I'll agree on this point. Until a pound of broccoli coast less than a pound of little Debbie cakes America will continue to eat like shit not because they want to do so but because it is cheaper to do so.

TurboBlew, SGVRider and Fonda Dix like this.
  5. SGVRider

SGVRider Well-Known Member

Maher and the other big government lovers make no mention of how big government agricultural policy caused this in the first place. Now that they’ve created gigantic market distortions that make it extremely cheap to produce calorie dense but nutritionally void foods they want to cry that it’s all the fault of consumers.

Surely what we need now is a a sugar tax so the fatties guzzling all the incredibly cheap government subsidized sugar and refined carb products will stop eating it. If that doesn’t work we should regulate the companies producing the government subsidized death sugar to stop producing so much so cheaply. If the death sugar producers are in danger of going out of business after that, we should give them interest free government loans because they’re too big to fail.

6. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

broc crowns.png
    little debby cakes.jpeg
    $2.63 per pound.

7. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

8. In Your Corner

The cheapest way to eat is to buy fresh
    meats and vegetables and fruits and
    cook a meal and it's the healthiest choice.
    Of course, it requires some effort.

jase and Quicktoy like this.
  9. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

No.

That’s how I do it. It ain’t the cheapest.

It is, however, the healthiest.

Quicktoy and JBarx like this.
  10. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

+1

People are generally lazy and don't like the way healthy food tastes.

11. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

If someone is raised on shit, then, they will continue to eat shit.

12. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

You’ve clearly never heard of Top Ramen.

13. Bloodhound

Bloodhound Well-Known Member

...are you saying that Pepsi, Coca Cola, McDonalds Corporation, Kraft Foods, Sara Lee, Pfizer, Merck & Co. and many other food and pharmaceutical companies may have paid for and funded USDA or FDA testing and swayed results?

Preposterous!

TurboBlew likes this.
  14. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

I guess weighing in simple calories vs nutrient content just muddies the waters too much as well.

15. Jeff McKinney

Jeff McKinney Well-Known Member

Soup beans and cornbread are pretty damned cheap to make.Growing a garden is pretty cheap too.

16. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

The hell it is! By the time I buy all the plants, till and fertilize the ground, plant everything, water it, weed it, spray it for bugs, then throw away half of it because I can't get to it fast enough or because all my neighbors are sick of my forcing my zucchini on them (hehe), it's cheaper to just buy the crap at the store as I need it.

17. In Your Corner

You're a zucchini neighbor?
    I hate those guys.

Chino52405 and MachineR1 like this.
  18. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

A few years ago I went all out, built a big raised garden, and planted a TON of stuff: squash, tomatoes, melons, peppers, brussells sprouts, broccoli, onions, garlic, cabbage, and lettuce. Bugs ate almost all of it except for the squash and tomatoes, which did awesome. Last couple of years I've phoned it in and it's been junk.

19. Quicktoy

Quicktoy Is it Winter yet?

My biggest problem is how acidic mass food is. Another thing they don't talk about. Just switching to alkaline water 2 years ago, I stopped taking prescription prilosec which I had been on for 15 years. Most bottled water is even acidic.
    If you can make your body alkaline, you can’t get cancer.
    Another thing is the calories. I’m 6’2”. I always thought I needed like 3,000 calories a day. I eat now around 1500-1800 and walk over 6 miles a day just at work.

20. SGVRider

SGVRider Well-Known Member

If you eat high quality food, it’s amazing how many fewer calories you can consume and still function.

One thing that’s difficult though is that it’s a knife edge. When I’m at a very high level of fitness, training a lot and eating clean, a meal with high unrefined carbs can fuck me up completely.

Quicktoy likes this.