1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any computer nerds?

Discussion in 'General' started by MVA25, Jul 23, 2019.

1. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Every time I see these threads turn into the Mac versus the winders arguement I keep thinking "yeap, Morlocks versus the CHUDs again." :D

2. backcountryme

backcountryme Word to your mother.

3. I have no idea what this post is about.

4. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

Call me a bit skeptical when someone who pedals software that is largely useless to anyone but the dumbest of computer users talks about security. No..Mac likely isn't 10 years behind Microsoft but none of them should ever stop being diligent about correcting problems created in the past and producing quality code as they constantly remodel the OS. End users should always practice P.O.L.P. and patch frequently no matter which flavor OS they chose.

backcountryme likes this.
  5. You are a bit skeptical.

6. Venom51

I'm not so sure that I am.

Gorilla George likes this.
  7. So, you're going to use an article that liberally quotes from an anti-virus software vendor, dating from 2012!!!!! as your proof?

OK :rolleyes:

BTW, you probably didn't notice because you didn't actually read any of it during your frantic google search, but the very last paragraph of that article says, "Of course, it could be argued that Kaspersky’s claims are exaggerated in a bid to encourage you to purchase the company’s antivirus products for Mac." :Poke: :D

8. stangmx13

stangmx13 Well-Known Member

Ive been running Windows on my Mac for like 2 years and havent paid. it still says "Activate Windows" in the bottom right. but there have been no other consequences. im not sure why and I don't care.

9. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

:stupid: :crackup:

Anyway, I run Win10 with VMWare for the races, works great. Even have one setup of it where all the windows stuff is installed on an external USB SSD and it still works great.

10. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Who is seriously still believing that? I do think it's less likely than windows but still can happen easily.

11. Venom51

Hopefully fewer and fewer but the argument rages on regardless between the fan boys and the uninformed.

12. Cannoli

Cannoli Typical Uccio

DO NOT use Parallels. If you’re going to go the VM route, use VMware Fusion. I won’t go into why (some intel folks here already know why).

Costco has some great cheap laptops on sale now or starting soon. I was literally looking at the flyer this morning that came in the mail yesterday.

IMO, a Fusion VM should work just fine. Hardware pass through into the VM works quite well.

BigBird likes this.
  13. MVA25

MVA25 Well-Known Member

Thanks for the info fellas. R Acree is hooking me up with a couple of laptops. Another reason why this community is awesome!

Chris likes this.
  14. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

I would just use virtualbox if going the VM route, why pay when you can get a solid solution open source?

15. lookmtb

lookmtb Active Member

Seriously, why even bother with a virtual machine? Just reboot into windows when you need it. SOOOO much less complexity and there's no doubt your ports will work.

16. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

I find VMs much easier and less disruptive to my work flow. Keep system up, browsers rolling, etc and just blip into the VM for whatever I need and out again without closing a thing.

17. Cannoli

Cannoli Typical Uccio

While I do like VirtualBox, its support for hardware passthrough and virtual networking is limited compared to Fusion.

BigBird likes this.
  18. Yeah, but...if it’s only going to connect via USB to a non-Web-connected tuner box, the risk is minimal.

19. Cannoli

Cannoli Typical Uccio

okay

20. Yeah, he could buy a brand-new Chinese-Made Windows laptop, conveniently pre-loaded with spyware :)