1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

RIP carlin dunne

Discussion in 'General' started by turbulence, Jun 30, 2019.

1. Senna

Senna Well-Known Member

Fuckin' hell I can't imagine racing on that thing. Damn bike is pointed skyward and then the front gets unsettled like that? Hell no.

2. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

Did no one notice the animal that runs out in front of him at 9:10??

3. NemesisR6

NemesisR6 Gristle McThornbody

RIP, racer....

4. badmoon692008

badmoon692008 Well-Known Member

He mentioned on facebook a Marmot ran out in front of him... that would be sketchy as hell.

5. 1kk8

1kk8 Well-Known Member

6. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

Watch the video, it's big!

7. turbulence

turbulence Well-Known Member

man this is so sad... it just goes to show how delicate life is. you may be standing inches before death and not even know it.

if he had to go, i’m glad he seemed to go in his “place”.

RIP

motion likes this.
  8. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Honestly there is nothing to be gained by all the gory details getting out to the general public. You know what happened, he crashed and succumbed to his injuries. You really don't need to know what type of crash or his injuries or stories of how it looked as he and the bike went flying or the like.

grasshopper, JBraun, Skter505 and 2 others like this.
  9. snikwad

snikwad Well-Known Member

This one got me all messed up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. stk0308

stk0308 Well-Known Member

I agree to a point. But, there were some important lessons to be learned from how Earnhardt, Senna, and Wheldon died, as well as how Rainey got paralyzed. Sometimes when The Cone of Silence is dropped on events like this I feel it's primary function is to protect the sanctioning body from embarrassment.

turbulence and snikwad like this.
  11. FZRCraig

FZRCraig Offensive to Most

FTFY

NemesisR6 and stk0308 like this.
  12. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Important points for the general fan? No.

The people involved in making things safer get the info through less public channels and adapt their own stuff as necessary.

Embarrassment has absolutely nothing to do with it. Not even in the least bit. Every single official who has ever dealt with a tragedy has the same emotions if not even more so than any fan or family. It's done in an overabundance of protection for the rider and their family and friends.

AJ likes this.
  13. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Honestly at the scene that isn't a thought either. I'm sure it is for some organizers when setting up their procedures but overall it really is to keep people from profiting off of gory pictures or the like. And they absolutely will if you let them. I've seen videos from accidents at our events get posted online and it truly sickens me.

AJ likes this.
  14. 418

418 Expert #59

They said he highsided out of the last corner.

What more do you want?

AJ likes this.
  15. stk0308

stk0308 Well-Known Member

What caused it. Was it really road condition? If it was, what's the plan to fix it? If it was just a racing incident, so be it. But, there's enough questions about the surface up there to warrant attention.

16. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

And why does ANY of that matter to YOU. Are you running the event as an organizer or racer?

AJ likes this.
  17. There is nothing to learn from his crash. He high sided at a place you don’t want to high side. Maybe looking at the bike by Ducati. Sure. Besides that, at least to me there’s nothing to learn except examinnng the bike.

18. 83BSA

83BSA Well-Known Member

The road from Bottomless Pit up to the top is increasingly bad: frost heaves, patches, seams, etc. It gets worse every year. The City of Colorado Springs is responsible for maintaining the road since 1948. Originally, they resisted paving because of expense. Then someone told them they could reduce maintenance expense by paving. So, over a 5 year period, they gradually paved different sections.

It would be terribly expensive to try to maintain a smooth surface above 12,000 ft. The cars don't have the same stability issues the bikes do with shitty pavement. It is first and foremost a car event, run by car people. They are not going to pour money into the road for bikes. Sad, but a fact. So, bikes either run it as is and deal with conditions, or they stop the bikes. There is a huge movement among the car folks to get rid of bikes. Because of the bike crash delays, the cars were, again, delayed from starting. As usual, the weather rolled in, and some cars made dry runs, others ran in the wet, and others only ran to mid-mountain (Glen Cove) on a shortened course. This has happened several times before, and I can tell you from experience, the car folks are mightily pissed when that happens.

Cheers,

Dave

snikwad, AJ and RichB like this.
  19. Busdriver02

Busdriver02 Well-Known Member

The Sierra Club sued to get the paving project done, they argued the tons of gravel dumped on the road over the years was damaging the environment.

AJ likes this.
  20. Hoffman900

Hoffman900 Well-Known Member

As a motorsports fan, this stunk, as a someone in the earth sciences field, they weren’t wrong on this one. :Poke:

AJ likes this.