1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Please Tell Me About Texas

Discussion in 'General' started by Mike Lafayette, Jul 2, 2019.

1. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

You get used to them but the whole...lets have people getting off and on the freeway in the same 1/8mi of pavement and merging onto the frontage road and then i need to go the the other side of the freeway so i still have to drive a a mile down this road then make a weird U turn to the other side of the frontage, just to get to my In-n-Out....meh.
    I am suprised there arent more wrecks in that transition area vs a standard on ramp/off ramp arrangement.

2. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

As much as I hate snow, I don’t believe one could twist my arm hard enough to make me move to TX from VT. A recon is a definite must....and I don’t mean for a few days. One needs to spend a couple weeks down there and get a true feel for what it’s like and have time to think about what one would be leaving behind.

cpettit likes this.
  3. Smilodon

Smilodon Wannabe

I lived in Houston for a year or two. I would add a shout out for the people and the food. My wife and I still use the term "Texas friendly" to describe very friendly people. It was a big culture shock for me.

What I didn't like was that it was flat (Like Florida) and had worse weather than Florida! That, and I'm not really a big city person, but that's pretty much the same anywhere.

4. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

Those are called city titties.

5. Metalhead

Metalhead Dong pilot

Didn't read not one thing but the title. Here's my answer.....

Texas is badass. Their motto is go big or go home. I'd move back there in a minute.

6. Gixxerguy855

Gixxerguy855 Well-Known Member

Be careful with that thought process on the state income tax! If you don’t buy a house, then it’s nice, but if you do, be prepared to get hammered on real estate tax increases. Folks go to litigate depreciation values for their homes here, when searching Zillow, pay close attention the the tax increases on homes in the Frisco area. You’ll see some jump as much as 10k in just 4 years. Do your homework if buying is in your future.

Mike Lafayette, wsmc42 and code3ryder like this.
  7. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

I ate at in& out once. Then I left & went to Whataburger.

Actually, Griffs is my favorite, but they're not in Frisco.

OP, you'll like Frisco... it's one of the fastest growing cities in the US. Red hot real estate market right now. Still affordable-ish, but don't waste time. If you can stand a little commute, Prosper, Celina, Aubrey, maybe Pilot Point will afford you more acreage & square footage for the same $$. I can remember when Frisco was nothing but a 2 lane road with some whorehouses.

Times have certainly changed!

8. beechkingd

beechkingd Well-Known Member

Texas is great. My only suggestion is if you actually go exploring away from cities in to the country, make sure you check your fuel level vs how far the next gas station actually is. If I hadn't had a gas can in the truck the last time I drove across Texas I would have been stuck in BFE with no cell reception.

9. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Wouldn't that be BFT?

10. code3ryder

code3ryder Well-Known Member

Appreciate the heads up for sure. We're looking at The Woodlands or Spring ...around there. The wife works for an airline and would be working at George Bush. We want to live away from Houston proper so we're looking north with a fairly straight shot commute. Sorry @Mike Lafayette for the threadjack

11. rd49

rd49 Well-Known Member

So 4 lane with some whorehouses then? :D

auminer likes this.
  12. wsmc42

wsmc42 Well-Known Member

Subscribed. After going to Austin area in April, my wife and I loved the vibe out there so much, she has been applying for jobs out there so we can get out of Socal. I should clarify... we stayed in Austin, but loved the surrounding area. Austin downtown is a little too "weird" for us. But, the surrounding areas were cool. People were just nicer.

13. Gixxerguy855

Gixxerguy855 Well-Known Member

Karl, are you still racing? If so, you’ll enjoy the wide open MSR Houston track. I watched you wipe the floor with guys at WSMC for years, and unfortunately, me too as a youngster in A Superbike back in the day.

14. wsmc42

wsmc42 Well-Known Member

No, no racing for me for several years now. It was Super hard to walk away for a while, but I did. I tend to get 100 % wrapped up in things and it would have been impossible for me to just cut back. I got into MTB racing after that like all retired road racers. That consumed me for several years and the last 2 have been so crazy trying to keep up with work, I barely have time for anything. If/when I end up out there, I definitely plan to hit some tracks. Thanks for the tip on MSR Houston track.

15. backcountryme

backcountryme Word to your mother.

It is usually more like "Hold my beer". You all forgot the 75 (and sometimes 85mph) speed limits.

16. hotnail

hotnail Well-Known Member

We moved to Texas just over 4 years ago from NE Ohio. It was purely for life choices as we were not forced to leave due to any particular circumstance. We are small town folks and settled between Dallas and Houston. We are close to nowhere, but not far from anywhere. It certainly took time to get adjusted, but we can say convincingly we will likely never leave Texas as it has become home now. You will either love Texas or hate it. It’s essentially it’s own little country in its cultures that nuances.....cool place!

backcountryme likes this.
  17. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

Don't forget .....fire ants. Pound for pound the nastiest things on earth.

backcountryme likes this.
  18. 10MM

10MM Action Reaction

During winter a light dusting of snow or the possibility of ice on the roads creates some good entertainment (Houston area)

I’m just north of The Woodlands, be glad to help anyone wanting more information.

Mike Lafayette likes this.
  19. wingsonwheels

wingsonwheels Well-Known Member

Austin does not count as Texas. They are our Portland.

20. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

Look around the San Antonio area also. Lots of friendly people and that area has a great vibe to it also. I liked it better than Austin.