1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

4” PVC to 4” cast iron hub connection

Discussion in 'General' started by YZROOSTINYA, Jun 20, 2019.

1. YZROOSTINYA

YZROOSTINYA Well-Known Member

I am adapting a 4” cast iron hub to either 3” or 4” PVC.

I currently cut the cast iron flush with the hub. The cast iron is 4”. I was not able to leave a stub out for a no slip band clap.

I plan on getting the balance of the cast iron pipe out of the hub. I wanted to know what I can use the seal the joint between the hub and new PVC If they even make such a thing.

It’s the vertical stack that goes from the crawl space to the interior of the house.

Is this what I need and is it the best way to go?
    https://www.homedepot.com/p/Fernco-...0-PVC-Compression-Coupling-P44U-405/100372279

My plumber will be running the remainder of pipe through out the house. I am repairing the foundation wall and want to get this sorted without having him come out as the pipe runs right next to it.

2. joec

joec brace yourself

That should work.. Those things kick ass. Just make sure it's the correct one when you pick it up. I think I used grease or something on mine too get it to work too. The fit is tight.

3. socalrider

socalrider pathetic and rude

was just going to say fernco is what you want, when i read the title. good to see you already found it.

4. YZROOSTINYA

Sweet. Now getting the remaining pipe out of the joint is going to be a bitch.

5. joec

joec brace yourself

Nothing like the back draft of a 4" waste line....good times.

6. Sprinky

Sprinky Well-Known Member

Like said - Fernco is the answer. They make different sizes for different pipes. Call a plumbing supply house like First Supply or Ferguson and speak to the service counter. They’ll set you right. If it’s REaLLY old, like from the early 1900’s measure the OD of the pipe. Sometimes we run into pipe that’s just a bit different than modern sizes.

Edit - your HD link is what you need

7. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

Why do I feel like 4" pvc will fit right in 4" cast iron pipe, with a little persuasion, and fit tight as a bugs ear?

8. socalrider

socalrider pathetic and rude

its been a while since i forced one in there (giggity) but you would need to really get heavy on the sand cloth to remove a couple hundredths of an inch off the pvc to make it slide in.

9. joec

joec brace yourself

I've stacked toilet flanges that way. I think a 3 to 4 works. Or something like that. Lol... I'm a woodworker....

10. crusty9r

crusty9r Human Lawn Dart

Fernco...

11. YZROOSTINYA

Got it out. What a PITA. Smooth sailing now.

Thanks for the replies.

12. cyclenut

cyclenut Well-Known Member

Just to add a little...Fernco even has an app to help you select what you need. I’ve used all different sizes, up to 12”...they work great.

13. Phl218

Phl218 .

And Home Depot IT suddenly wondering why they got so much traffic on this stupid fernco flange :crackup:

Chris, YZROOSTINYA and ducnut like this.
  14. gapman789

gapman789 Well-Known Member

Hasn't anyone suggested Fernco yet? :) We use them a lot.

15. YZROOSTINYA

I installed the flange adapter yesterday and it worked awesome.

16. dieterly

dieterly Well-Known Member

Fernco?