1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Toy hauler towing experience with a 1500

Discussion in 'General' started by MVA25, Jun 15, 2019.

1. roy826ex

roy826ex Been around here a while

Sorry still a Cheby with the stupid bow tie which I hope you took off by now.

2. Greenhound386

Greenhound386 Well-Known Member

The bowtie isn't as creative as the GMC logo.

3. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

This Chevy/GMC argument is pretty silly. My GMC is built in Ft Wayne.

Greenhound386 likes this.
  4. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

You didn’t mess around. Congratulations!

MVA25 likes this.
  5. A. Barrister

A. Barrister Well-Known Member

6. DWhyte91

DWhyte91 Well-Known Member

I’m confused, I currently drive a 15 Chevy Denali duramax so I’m not sure what you’re getting upset about.

7. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

Cruise control pulling a trailer? I have never done that.... didn’t think it was advised...

8. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

My brother had the cruise on pulling a snowmobile trailer in Michigan once, till he hit some black ice... woke us all up!

9. MVA25

MVA25 Well-Known Member

Another question that is off topic of the gasser vs. diesel discussion... does anyone know if there is s good stop to fill my fresh water tank at or near NJMP? I’m only about 2hrs away from it, but I don’t know if I want to travel with a full fresh water tank. Unless it’s not that big of a deal?

10. JBowen33

JBowen33 Only fast on Facebook

Really? I use my cruise control towing all the time

11. JBowen33

JBowen33 Only fast on Facebook

Better off filling up at home and knowing you have it versus hoping you can find it somewhere. Just my opinion.

ducnut and Wheel Bearing like this.
  12. Phl218

Phl218 .

LOOK FOR THE BIG RIG TRAVEL STOPS . OFTEN THEY HAVE A WATER FAUCET CLOSE TO THE DIESEL PUMPS.

Love's, Flying J , ... sorry i can't point you to a specific one

13. Phl218

Phl218 .

i've never considered hauling 55 gal of fresh water around.

put in 5-10 for basics, yeah.

most tracks have a faucet somewhere... (i've found water at all in the southeast)

14. Wheel Bearing

Wheel Bearing Professional low sider

That's diesel dependent.

I change my fuel filter every oil change (7,500 miles) on my 5.9. Baldwin PF7977 fuel filter: $14.00.

No water to purge. No DEF fluid. No DPF filter.

I have a true love/hate relationship with my truck. A lot of things I'd like to ditch it for in favor of a newer one - I'd love to have newer seats with more foam and padding, vented seats, A/C that works a little better, steering rack a little tighter...A lot of things I've come to really love after 7+ years of ownership. I have done literally nothing to the motor aside from normal routine maintenance that you would do with any other vehicle. I change the air filter annually because it's cheap insurance.

3.5 gallons of Rotella 15w40= $35ish dollars. So each oil change with a filter and fuel filter is about $50. Oil/filter change for my car is like $35. Big whoop.

If buying one gallon of oil more per oil change is breaking the bank for you, news flash...this hobby isn't for you. If you figure 2 oil changes a year, that's an extra what...$40? LOL

15. Wheel Bearing

My fuel filter is $14 off Amazon.

16. socalrider

socalrider pathetic and rude

the wolf pup you linked had a 32 gallon tank right? less than 300lbs of water (256lbs actually). i would fill at home mainly for time saving and to control the source. just my opinion.

ducnut and Wheel Bearing like this.
  17. Wheel Bearing

This. Always leave the house with my water already filled, but then again, I have a diesel...but all these 1500 owners will tell you they can pull the same setup just as good...as long as they don't carry any fresh water, carry half the load, and drive 15MPH slower everywhere :crackup:

JBowen33, NemesisR6 and socalrider like this.
  18. NemesisR6

NemesisR6 Gristle McThornbody

This.

If you're making concessions to avoid bumping up against limits and not planning your rig around "worst case" setups, you should find a different trailer and/or TV.

That being said, 32 gallons of water isn't going to be much of a factor.

19. Lawdog78

Lawdog78 Well-Known Member

I have a Starcraft which is the equivalent of the Wolf Pup. Roughly 3500# dry and 5200 gross. 32gallon fresh and 21 I believe for grey and black. I can fill up the gray by myself in 24 hours if I don't empty it completely before my trip. I"ve camped with my family for 3 nights and never filled up the black even though after 1 use the meter will tell you it's full...lol

20. LossPrev

LossPrev Well-Known Member

Fyi since I learned this lesson my first time out, being level is very important lol. I had probably 30+ gallons in my tank but "ran out" because we were tilted to one side by a few degrees. I was pissed thinking the wife used it all so couldn't even use my own damn shower at the track. Got home and opened the drain plug, it drained for a few minutes

I haven't researched which side the pump pick-up is on for sure and I make sure I'm level but I bring at least 60 gallons now for a weekend to be safe. Like others side I prefer to fill up at home with my filtered, soft water vs. rolling dice on the road