1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ever look at the forecast and just say f the races?

Discussion in 'General' started by Woofentino Pugr, May 18, 2019.

1. Woofentino Pugr

Woofentino Pugr Well-Known Member

Normally I don't mind racing in rain, but we have thunderstorms and 25mph winds forecast for tomorrow's race day is a bit much. Gonna be no way to stay out of the rain with winds that bad. Also with lightning, we do stop the whole thing for safety.

Now watch, I don't go, it will become sunny and 75 with no rain after 7am.

5axis and Kev59 like this.
  2. Phl218

Phl218 .

Rain races = easy points

Blackbeener and Wingnut like this.
  3. OldSchlPunk

OldSchlPunk Well-Known Member

Sunny and 75 somewhere, not remotely likely @ Blackhawk tomorrow. Going would be a hard call for me to make with what's forecast...even if I raced.

4. motoboy

motoboy Well-Known Member

My only race win was a rain race. Everybody laid out except Todd Henning and some guy who sucked in the rain. (Todd's bike broke halfway through or I would have been second by about five minutes)

But a win is a win!

Last edited: May 18, 2019
    pscook, Razr and YamahaRick like this.
  5. brex

brex Well-Known Member

I did just that with a MTB race this morning. Earlier in the week saw the forecast was showing 40s and rain for this morning (when the races took place), rain for last night and wind Friday and Sunday, which would be the travel days. Told my son meh, these are just training races for his NICA season and fun for me. He agreed, wasn't worth it.

6. Resident Plarp

Resident Plarp drittsekkmanufacturing.com

T’was all geared up for an 0600 departure to ride some trails this morning. Woke up to find that it was going to be raining and cold at the trailhead. I’m cool with one or the other, but not both. There’s no shame in staying home.

Last edited: May 18, 2019
  7. Knotcher

Knotcher Well-Known Member

I live in the PNW . . . So yeah.

One time I did that and there was a landslide that went onto the track.

8. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Only time I ever put it on the box was in the rain at Loudon, my first time at the track. Guy who won was so far ahead I thought I won it! :crackup:

j cal likes this.
  9. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

on a pre-entered race? Not likely...lol

10. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

No, I'd be racing.

11. RGV 500

RGV 500 OLD, but still FAST

I guess I'm one of those sick puppies that actually likes to race in the rain.

Phl218 likes this.
  12. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

No...

13. drop

drop Well-Known Member

I got my bump to expert this year. Went to tally with all intentions to race. Got up Saturday morning cold as shit and rain. I said f it. My first expert weekend, I at least want to be comfortable. Not miserable.

Metalhead likes this.
  14. njracer

njracer Well-Known Member

My 1st expert weekend up at Loudon started off with 40 degree temps and rain. Tossed that shit down in T3 on the out lap.

Followed that up on Sunday in T1a on my 1st flying lap. Fun weekend!

joec likes this.
  15. SVandST

SVandST Well-Known Member

I’ve crashed in a rain race when I was the only rider in my class on the track.

Metalhead, shakazulu12 and ToofPic like this.
  16. joec

joec brace yourself

And you beat Todd! Lol

motoboy likes this.
  17. tzrider

tzrider CZrider

Some tracks are fun in the rain [1], some not so much (unpredictable tarmac).

I always raced to enjoy myself and went with that mindset.

[1] - There's a track in Nova Scotia (Shubby) that has unbelievable amount of traction in the wet, that was the first time I put a need down in those conditions.

18. RossK6

RossK6 Grid Filler

I skipped this month’s round at Roebling when the forecast looked wet for the weekend. It had nothing to do with racing in the wet and everything to do with camping at the track. I have my eye on a nice little toy hauler so I don’t have to sleep in tHe back of a station wagon anymore.

19. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Other than a hurricane, nope. I have to be at the track no matter what.

20. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

[​IMG]

5axis and SuddenBraking like this.