1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

US Roadracing's future is looking bright!

Discussion in 'General' started by bikerlifemate, May 11, 2019.

Tags:
  1. six6two

six6two AWD

you're confusing culture with class structure.

2. bikerlifemate

bikerlifemate Active Member

Everyone is being very negative if you look at it . Even when the US kicked everyone ass. We never had programs for youth. I know for a fact that the MiniGP in the US has grown a lot and there average motoamerica fan won't know them or hear about it. When I was 10-12 there was not much for the youth besides Wera Minis which usually had 4 kids and racing xr100s against adults at josh herrins house. However, now Ohvale and Motoamerica, as well as other organizations, are doing really well to get some top youth series going. Heck, if you win the ohvale championship in the states they send you to Italy. I know Forza GP will be doing programs in Spain for US kids as well in 2020. Im not trying to argue with anyone. Simply sharing how things are looking up. If you keep talking negative. Nothing good will ever happen. Complaining that the US will never be at Europes level will never change anything. Actually look and you'll see things in motion that will be very positive for the US within the next few years. Everyone has a part to help.

Scott S., drop and blkduc like this.
  3. BROsiah

BROsiah Well-Known Member

Or the ones that do let thier kids ride get into motocross because it's cheaper and more accessible. Here in Ohio there are tracks everywhere and it's $25 a day not $200+

4. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

quick search from an article in RRW last April 2019 shows the Forza GP is only out west.
    https://www.roadracingworld.com/new...ale-racebike-rentals-at-selected-m1gp-events/

As for the mini scene... its pretty strong on the east coast. I can think of 8 young racers that have come from either Herrins or NJminiGP or ORML series. I think minis are a great,high fun/appeal factor, low injury risk, low investment motorsport,but even at a grassroots local level...its endless cat hearding. In the end to front/risk $25,000 of my own money to acquire the insurance and 501 legal work plus be the events coordinator to "hope" some local grom guys could afford $100/yr as part of a membership structured non profit?? The bellyaching was ridiculous and we didnt have to pay for a facility or really have to worry about scheduling unless it was a weekend. Weekdays/nights were wide open and the facility well lit.
    Still utterly amazed that there are trackday riders that have never even heard of or considered it. Met a few yesterday that were kind of complaining about the cost(s) of the hobby. A couple lived less than 45 minutes from Bushnell.

5. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Huh. Wonder what the hell I've been doing the last 32 years and Evelyne has been doing 40+.

6. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Yet again, wonder what the hell we've been up to all these years...

The process is pretty simple, the opportunities are there, the feeder series exist and have existed all along. Agree on the culture being the main issue. Things have changed since Ben, kids are looking at E sports not real sports.

Jon Wilkens likes this.
  7. Jon Wilkens

Jon Wilkens Well-Known Member

It's not being negative nor complaining...just looking at the reality of the situation.

When I tell people I race motorcycles...most look at me like I'm nuts for doing such a dangerous thing at my age.

I do hope these new programs will entice some new blood into the sport from every level...time will tell.

Laz likes this.
  8. knedragon29

knedragon29 Well-Known Member

The 1 2 5 , best learning tool for any young serious talent. Its sad it wont ever happen.

six6two, Scott S., turner38 and 2 others like this.
  9. MV Rider

MV Rider Well-Known Member

I love the sport and have been a fan for almost 40 years but it is very hard to overcome our present culture that is taking teeter totters and monkey bars off of school and park playgrounds because they are viewed as too dangerous.

Gorilla George and Jon Wilkens like this.
  10. FrancisA

FrancisA Are you scared?

Ever since I started track and road racing a few years ago people at work have been more enticed by the sport. I think half the problem was caused by damn near zero media coverage unlike other “sports” so nobody even knows it exists or you can do it outside of “motogp”. That’s why I was with media coverage of motoamerica it may gain footing slowly. People or kids can’t WANT to do it unless they know it’s there or possible to do, you’d be surprised at how many people would become involved if they knew they could.

Everytime there’s a track vid and I’m in there somewhere or you can see the speedo people shit a brick... you have to be honest this isn’t a “safe sport” by a long shot but at it least it doesn’t make your kid brain dead like video games or have fuckin mental disabilities like football.

11. MV Rider

MV Rider Well-Known Member

I agree with you, but our culture has definitely changed and in my opinion not for the better is some cases.

FrancisA likes this.
  12. flewid

flewid Well-Known Member

I'm with you on part of the issue being zero exposure. I think MA is doing a great job promoting racing and attempting to bring a family friendly atmosphere. However, racing, track days are still word of mouth. I'm one the oldest guys at work and all the young guys who's mom said they can get a bike ask me tons of questions everyday. What type of bike? What orgs should I go through to get on a a track? Where are the tracks at around here? Yes. The internet is full of all the answers but not if they don't know what to look for. It's going to take time, education and exposure to be a publicly supported sport but because of football and NASCAR brainwashing the public it may take awhile.

FrancisA likes this.
  13. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

More publicity now with the internet than ever before. More people on racetracks than ever before with trackdays. It has more exposure than it has ever had in this country. It'll still never truly be popular.

14. Robby-Bobby

Robby-Bobby Steeltoe’s Daddy

100% incorrect. Nicky, and Ben had barely any experience on a “gp” bike before kicking ass on the world stage.

Does it help? Sure, but absolutely in no way mandatory.

15. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Dunno about that, both ran 125's and 250's with us for quite a few years. Not at the same GP level of tune and both of course went to Superbikes for a long while prior to GP racing so obviously GP machinery is a moot point.

16. Robby-Bobby

Robby-Bobby Steeltoe’s Daddy

Of course, but they spent several years racing 600’s and literbikes and their Gp technique showed that they had much more “superbikey” technique than your traditional gp style.

I mean if we want to get technical, then we need to say that all great American road racers need to ride dirt track also.....

17. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I agree, they do. At least as a training tool. There is a reason Rossis track at home ain't paved :D

Scott S., Jon Wilkens and Robby-Bobby like this.
  18. lopitt85

lopitt85 Well-Known Member

I agree with a lot of you guys that it is actually getting better. Despite the "anti-anything remotely dangerous" and the "I'm going to keep my kid in a protective bubble" culture I see, there are more people being exposed and getting into track days. While a little late in the game for the newly exposed to start racing, I've seen them getting their kids involved at elementary school ages which is really good for the future. A common statement from these folks is "I wish I could have gotten involved/exposed at that age".

bikerlifemate likes this.
  19. kenessex

kenessex unregistered user

[QUOTE="Robby-Bobby, post: 5527686, member: 10017"

I mean if we want to get technical, then we need to say that all great American road racers need to ride dirt track also.....[/QUOTE]

I think we need to get back to the GRand National, Short track, half mile, mile, TT and roadracing. Incorporate all of the fan base, manufacturers, teams and sponsors for both series. Look at how much coverage Flat track is getting on RRW. JU is a smart man and he must be doing it for a reason. Note that he is providing more coverage for roadracers that are flat tracking. Even Robbie- Bobby got some ink with a 10th place finish. I think there is some real potential to be had. Maybe allow the FT twins into the MA twins cup?

20. six6two

six6two AWD

accurized. ask ben about GP bike experience vs even sbk experience.. it's mandatory for a future world champ.

tzr>anything at any dealership stateside.

streetbike experience is absolutely not up to par with gp bike experience.. not a gp rider on the planet that argues your point.

Last edited: May 12, 2019