1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How quick are you at removing wheels from a car?

Discussion in 'General' started by zertrider, May 3, 2019.

1. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

The article says a U-haul truck. 2500lb would be no issue for one of those. It would be more volume and making sure they didn't get scratched up when stacking them or having the stacks fall over that would be the trick.

2. Jedb

Jedb Professional Novice :-)

That's unreal that they did that in such a short time.

3. pscook

pscook Well-Known Member

I just loaded five trailer wheels and tires into my van, and it took me about 10 minutes for those five. They were too heavy to carry so I rolled them to the van and up the ramp. I can't imagine stacking 124 wheels and tires in any space after transporting them to the vehicle. Amazing what adrenaline and fear of getting caught can generate to help complete a task.

4. Phl218

Phl218 .

Old nascar pit crew

Sabre699 likes this.
  5. 1kk8

1kk8 Well-Known Member

wheel locks, wheel locks, wheel locks

and I'm not talking about the JV factory ones...

6. cha0s#242

cha0s#242 Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand

OEM wheels are better quality than most after market stuff and are usually more expensive.

7. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Generally, yes, but it still seems crazy that "legitimate" businesses like body shops are buying these things, knowing they're hot.

8. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Pneumatico Delle Vittorie Retired "Tire" Guy

I replaced the 18" f150 wheels with American 20"s. Then I asked the Ford dealer how much were the stock wheels, and they're $390 each. I sold them on craiglist for 600 I think.

Then I was told to combat stolen parts the Ford dealer has to get your crashed wheel before they can sell you a new OEM wheel.

9. SVbadguy

SVbadguy I survived the Mt Course

In the NOVA/DC area Chevy wheels are a major target. Lots of individual vehicles being hit, but a few years back they were taking all the Corvette wheels at the dealers.

10. pickled egg

pickled egg There is no “try”

Why would a dealership need your old wheel to sell you a new one?

badmoon692008 and Britt like this.
  11. Johnny B

Johnny B Cone Rights Activist

12. sharkattack

sharkattack Rescued pets over people. All day, every day

When I was in college, a lot of PCs and monitors got stolen. I was in one of the labs at the time. Guys came in, unhooked several machines and monitors, put them on a cart and left. When cops interviewed me (along w/ many others who were in the lab at that time) I just said I thought they were from the IT dept. They looked like they were supposed to be there and knew what they were doing. I didn’t care as long as they didn’t try to take my ‘puter.

13. sharkattack

sharkattack Rescued pets over people. All day, every day

Oh yeah...I’d like to touch Robin’s heine...! :Putter:

14. jdaniel

jdaniel Well-Known Member

Anyone can use an impact wrench, during the Iraq invasion if there was a vehicle left behind unattended the locals would stack rocks under the axles let the air out of the tires and beat the lug nuts off with a rock.

Phl218 and motoracer1100 like this.
  15. Shocker

Shocker Well-Known Member

There is a market out there for OEM truck wheels. Certain OEM GMC 20" and 22" are pretty popular.

I'm not the biggest fan of the OEM 20" wheels on my 2011 Sierra and if I were to replace them, it would be with OEM takeoffs from a 2014+ Sierra. Im not a fan of any of the aftermarket options.

A local truck shop that installs lifts and aftermarket wheels for a local dealership sells practically new (under 100 miles) OEM 20" take off sets with tires for about ~$1400 and 22" take off sets for ~$2400.

16. Pkelly2020

Pkelly2020 Member

I see all these new trucks with aftermarket wheel / tire sets on them. Do they typically trade the near new wheels in when they upgrade? Ie. The tire shop gives them a break on the new set if they keep their old ones?

What’s the average price of an aftermarket set of wheels and tires if the OEM set is being sold for $1400 - $2400?

Some aftermarket sets look good, others not. Some must regret their choices months later. To each their own.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17. Shocker

Shocker Well-Known Member

I assume the shop does a trade in program a lot like trading in a used car into a dealership. They give a below market price on the trade in wheels and you pay less for the aftermarket parts. They then go ahead and sell the OE wheels at market price and make a profit.

18. tony 340

tony 340 Well-Known Member

Happened directly next door to my house with the exact same story as above and a Ford Edge.

I have two big dogs we were sleeping with the windows open there directly underneath the streetlight .

My neighbors have a dog they were sleeping with their windows open and nobody heard a peep .

These guys were Pros

For some reason they only Target Ford vehicles in our area with 20 inch rims