1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Extension cord / GFI issue

Discussion in 'General' started by Scotty87, May 4, 2019.

1. Scotty87

Scotty87 Lacks accountability

My boat has 2 batteries that run the trolling motor and one dedicated for starting/boat specific shit. It's got an onboard charging/conditioning system that maintains all three and is a dedicated marine use piece. The previous owner ran what looks like a simple big box store 3-1 8ft extension cord from the charging system to the transom grommet to facilitate easier charging, going direct requires removing the cover, opening a hatch, etc, etc. If the batteries get too low, it trips the GFI in my shop every time (20 amp circuit). If I disconnect the extension cord and plug directly into the charger, all is well.

Obviously, I'm not a sorcerer. What gives?

I like the connivence of using the accessible plug. Should I upgrade to a heavier gauge extension? Is this one just bad? It looks to be fairly medium duty and of good quality. I can't charge it overnight this way, as the entire aft section of the boat is open the batteries, the charger, etc etc and other stuff to the element.

If I just get off the lake and plug into the extension cord it works fine, it only trips the GFI when it's pretty low.

2. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

Sounds like either the socket or the extension cord has picked up moisture and is leaking current internally.

beac83 and crusty9r like this.
  3. Marid2apterbilt

Marid2apterbilt Well-Known Member

Iirc gfi works by monitoring the power going thru the live and neutral if there too far off or if you add an extra ground it will trip.
    I'm not electrical guru but I would make sure the extension cord and external connection to the boat are truly rated for what your trying to do.

Start with the cord first. Make sure it's not a Chinese copper plated aluminum conducted.

4. crusty9r

crusty9r Human Lawn Dart

I regularly replace cords on fans at work because they trip the gfci.

5. pickled egg

pickled egg There is no “try”

If eliminating the cord eliminates the problem, the cord is the problem. There could be damaged insulation inside the outer jacket creating a "leak" that only rears its head under heavier loads (charger will be pulling more current when batteries are lower).

I would replace the cable with type SO cable instead of SJ. Thicker insulation rated for 600v vs 250v. I would also suggest making the investment in weatherproof twist-lok plugs and sockets for the cord set.

ToddClark and AC1108 like this.
  6. Scotty87

Scotty87 Lacks accountability

Perfect. I’ll do that.

7. worthless

worthless Well-Known Member

Buy a new boat.

auminer likes this.
  8. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

Get rid of the GFCI, they're just a pain in the ass anyway.

badmoon692008 likes this.
  9. pickled egg

You sound like the appliance service tech that can't get a brand new commercial dishwasher to not trip...

10. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

I don't have time to fuck around with new-fangled shit.
    I'm from the pennies-in-the-fusebox generation.

Sabre699 likes this.
  11. pickled egg

You're from the flying a kite in a thunderstorm generation...

Sabre699 likes this.
  12. beac83

beac83 "My safeword is bananna"

Can't tell neutral from ground, huh?
    Wait till they start enforcing the 2017 code and he has to make it work with an AFCI/GFCI :D

13. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

Keep that AFCI shit to yourself. I have plenty that were put in when the basement was finished. They are all in a box sitting on a shelf. The new home owner can have them when I move. Can't run a brushed motor with any time on it on those stupid things. I got tired of resetting the breaker while trying to run the shop vac.

14. pickled egg

That's only residential. This is at a restaurant I wired.

He managed somehow to fix it today. Dried out the control panel that someone didn't properly attach and let water in. This was after he shit talked me about how it needed to be hard wired in, it couldn't be cord and plugged.

And we've been on 2017 code since 9/17 IIRC. All the more reason I don't use Square D, their breakers take up all the gutter space and make the panels look like shit

beac83 likes this.
  15. speedluvn

speedluvn Man card Issuer

And don’t forget the larger tow vehicle

worthless likes this.