1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Student loan forgiveness

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by Pittenger5, Apr 23, 2019.

1. R Acree

R Acree Banned

$15k 72 month loan at 6% is under $250 per month. You can buy some pretty nice used cars for under $15k.

2. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

You can buy some pretty nice new ones for not much more. Hell you can buy some really nice used for under $400 a month. I pay a bunch less for the Ho and while it's got 100k+ on the clock it is totally pimp and in amazing shape.

3. 600 dbl are

600 dbl are Shake Zoola the mic rula

It was more of a joke between Kenny and I. A friend of ours was looking at some rather "exotic" cars for his wife.

4. TX Joose

TX Joose Well-Known Member

You guys love semantics. I shouldn't expect anything else from the beeb.

Please google average price of a new car and let me know what you find. And then, calculate a payment with standard terms and decent credit.

Anyway I think we agree for the most part. Except for subjective things like what a nice car is.

FYI Civics start at $20k.

5. R Acree

R Acree Banned

If you are looking at new cars immediately after graduation, you are starting out making bad decisions. The cars you should be looking at are the ones well below the average.

cav115 likes this.
  6. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Evelyne bought a Civic, minimal down (her leased Q5 was a trade), paid less than 400 a month. I wasn't guessing on this one :D

https://www.hennessyhonda.com/new/H...-Atlanta-41bd5c640a0e0a6b128cb9096ac372b1.htm

Brand new Accord, 10% down, 376 a month.

7. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Who the fuck gets a 6 year note on a $15k car?!?

TX Joose likes this.
  8. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

People who make less than 70k a year :crackup:

TX Joose likes this.
  9. TX Joose

TX Joose Well-Known Member

Welcome to America!
    Time to knock up your college sweetheart too!

10. R Acree

R Acree Banned

People smart enough not to go for the lease scam.:D

11. sheepofblue

sheepofblue Well-Known Member

Or one huge business gets propped up. Let's look at Chrysler...how many bailouts, sold and bought by who? Yet if they had gone under the market would have likely supported innovators and businesses that are more efficient.

12. R Acree

R Acree Banned

And they want me to pay for correcting that mistake as well.

13. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Not so sure on that. It would have just made Ford and GM bigger.

14. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

My daughters note for a 2017 Jeep Sahara Unlimited is around $400 a month because she isn't stupid, adjusted her spending, increased her work hours and saved till she had a decent downpayment to upgrade her vehicle. I would struggle to not call that a nice vehicle. She has a nicer ride than I do...:D

Yep. Sitting in Starbucks drinking a $6+ dollar drink, eating whatever expensive assed sandwich was in the display case blogging about how the system is stacked against them, that they are being crushed by student loan debt from their 6 year BA degree on their $3500 MacBook Pro, checking texts to see where the next protest will be on their $1200 iPhone and hoping they have enough gas in the whatever status symbol car they have to get to their trendy overpriced apartment.

If the dumb motherfuckers are being crushed by anything it is poor decision making skills and lack of critical thought. If they want sympathy it can be found between shit and syphilis in the dictionary. They need to shut the fuck up, spend within their means, pay their debts and move on. They made bad decisions. Now they need to own them.

Spang308, tl1098, G 97 and 1 other person like this.
  15. sheepofblue

And to dumb to buy used (so it is not 15K but something they can afford)

16. sheepofblue

Possibly but since Ford did not get bailed out would that not be good? Further what about Tesla or others? And that is just cars but the idea is the same in all markets.

17. R Acree

R Acree Banned

I know those days are long gone, but my first car was $120, the second $100. They were both POS, but they got me to and from school/work. If they broke down, I rode my bicycle.

cav115 likes this.
  18. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Yeah, but back then a new car was $1700. :Poke:

19. R Acree

R Acree Banned

I think a Splinto was about $2k and a VW bug was in the $1500 range.

20. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

While you are googling..Google the "optional" equipment included in that average price that increased the price of the average car people are buying. I suspect if you took the base model with no optional upgrades and ran the average on that it would be well below your current Googled number. Details matter. Unless you know the makeup of that "average" car sample set then the number is meaningless. Does that sound like semantics.