1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Receiver stuck in hitch- I need the 'beeb'!

Discussion in 'General' started by K51000, Mar 31, 2019.

1. K51000

K51000 Well-Known Member

Class 5 hitch on my 2001 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab, 4.7 V8, manual tranny, etc. etc.
    I ordered it new with among other things- the trailer towing package.

The last 5+ years or so, I had driven it here in Milwaukee area- and the road salt rusted the F outta this thing,
    and it's stuck in there like a MoFo.

So far over the last few years, I attempted to get it out by spraying the gap with various solvents, hitting it with a short sledge, and putting my non stretch Tow strap around a tree in my yard near the street, attaching it to the ball hitch, and letting out the clutch in first and yanking my truck back towards the tree like 35 times in 2 attempts on the last 5 years.

Yes, the pin to hold the receiver is out! And I tried hammering it in with a sledge some to try and break the oxidation bond free- No dice.

Today, I tried using 3 small propane torches and heating up the outside of the hitch for a few minutes and attaching the tow strap and nearly pulling the tree over, it wouldn't budge!
    The air temp was in the high 30'sF though, and the propane torches so small, I don't think it effectively did much, cause it still wouldn't budge!!

Help! Ideas?

2. colin96

colin96 Well-Known Member

Penetrating oil
    Floor Jack
    Slide hammer.
    New receiver, start over.

TurboBlew likes this.
  3. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

It the back open or closed in?

Cut it off flush, then use a long sawzall blade and cut it 2-3 times to get it out in pieces.

Replace the whole hitch.

4. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

Might be better off to remove the whole hitch and install a new one.

5. Phl218

Phl218 .

Buy new truck

6. Scotty87

Scotty87 Lacks accountability

MAP gas, propane ain't gonna do shit. Failing that, this:

If no joy, the this:

Probably the best answer:

SuddenBraking likes this.
  7. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

Pop said you need a torch. A real one. Get hitch and receiver cherry red and douse it with cold water then it will slide out.

I say;

1. Hire a C-130. Back the truck into it and secure it. Attach a tow strap to a forward bulkhead and the other end to the hitch. Have the plane level off at 10,000ft. When the crew lowers the door start the truck and have them release the tie downs. Count to three and floor it.

2. Buy an elephant. Attach one end of a tow strap to the hitch and the other end to the elephant's testicles. When you are ready pull hard on the testicle end.

3. Order a big rocket from ACME. Attach one end of a tow strap to the rocket and the other end to your testicles. Light the rocket.

8. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

Go buy a treadmill... and

TurboBlew and Jedb like this.
  9. OldSchlPunk

OldSchlPunk Well-Known Member

The problem with pulling with a strap is that you aren't pulling in line with the coupler, in effect jamming it. If you can get through the back side, maybe you can drive it out, though with it rusted that tight, you may be pissing in the wind.

Toe's suggestion of getting it cherry red then dousing it may work, but even an acetylene torch is going to have a tough go of that. That's a lot of metal to get cherry red. Personally, I wouldn't do that with the hitch on the truck.

Pulling the ball and starting over with a new hitch may be your best bet. Then, never ever leave your coupler in your receiver in WI. Made that mistake once over 1 winter, it took me hours to get that bitch out. It was never the same afterwards.

Looking back at your OP, it's an '01 Dakota, why the f@ck even bother at this point? If you're getting a different truck, pull the ball and call it a day. Hell, even a new ball isn't that expensive.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2019
  10. turner38

turner38 Well-Known Member

Take it off and put it in a press and add heat until it comes out. Or just throw it away and get another one.

Britt likes this.
  11. Woofentino Pugr

Woofentino Pugr Well-Known Member

Isnt coming out no matter what you do. My Dakota's tow bar was jammed in also. Not due to rust originally, but due to bouncing the hitch against the concrete going over a 9" drop where they were putting new road in. Then 8 yrs of never bothering trying to get it out took over and rusted itself in.

Also who in the hell even makes a Class 5 hitch for a Dakota? Hidden Hitch, Curt and Drawtite don't. Class III is the biggest they make and they are the big 3 of the hitch world.

tony 340 and Razr like this.
  12. shakazulu12

shakazulu12 Well-Known Member

Why bother trying to remove it at this point? That hitch sounds like the only part of a Dakota that won't fall off on it's on anyway.

13. acorn27

acorn27 4 out of 3 people in the world struggle with math

I just had the same issue. Tried the various things you said, even put a Hurst Jaws of Life spreader on it, nothing. What finally did it was LOTS of heat and an assload of pounding with a heavy slide hammer with a “pull” end. My arms were shot after that but it came out.

14. BigBird

BigBird blah

just saying there's lube for that kind of stuff :Poke:

:D

acorn27 likes this.
  15. 88/532

88/532 Simply Antagonistical

Ditto. If it’s got that much rust, its not worth salvaging anyway. New one and put some grease on it...now and again.

16. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

That's why you don't leave them in, put it in when you need it. You may not get it out. When I was in the welding shop business I saw a few we couldn't get out, even having it cherry red with ox/acy. torches.

17. zertrider

zertrider Waiting for snow. Or sun.

Tow a trailer over a rough highway without the pin in the hitch. Make sure to have safety cables attached.

badmoon692008 likes this.
  18. speedluvn

speedluvn Man card Issuer

Damn! This should be a PSA. I've heard that you shouldn't leave them in but never really had a grasp as to why. I have a full understanding now. Thanks for the insight OP.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2019
    TurboBlew and BigBird like this.
  19. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

its like 4 bolts to remove the actual assembly... new 1 is $140 or so

20. Dan Dubeau

Dan Dubeau Well-Known Member

Make a mix of 1/2 acetone, 1/2 ATF. Heat it up, spay that shit on liberally, and do it a bunch of times. Then take a big sledge and pound it IN. If you can't pound it in and get it to move with a sledge it ain't coming OUT. If all that fails cut it off, and cut it out. My old truck was like that, and I couldn't get it to budge. After changing the ball between 1-7/8" and 2" more times than I should, I switched all my couplers to 2".

badmoon692008 and TurboBlew like this.