1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cali people, Bike question

Discussion in 'General' started by SLLaffoon, Mar 17, 2019.

1. SLLaffoon

SLLaffoon Well-Known Member

Looking like a move to San Diego is becoming a very real possibility. I have a garage full of 6 bikes, and I have to figure out what to do with them. I haven't been on track since 2017, so I'm slowly realizing that it's probably not necessary to have two track bikes (02 R6 and 03 SV). I was considering switching one of them to a street bike and selling the other. The answers to questions below may help me pick which one. I also have a former race now streetbike Hawk that I may sell just to thin the herd a little more.

The pressing questions:
    - What gets inspected? What about importing 49 state versions of vehicles.
    - I assume that I need to put the stock exhaust back on the Grom, based on my reading of the exhaust rule. What about the others? They are all pre-2013, but all have aftermarket systems.
    - Does lighting need to be DOT? Turn signals?
    - What about matching engine numbers? My SV is very much a mix of spare parts assembled as a B sprint and later endurance bike. No idea if the Hawk is matching, as it was someone's old racebike too. Only ones I'm pretty sure about are the R6 and the Grom.
    - Anything else I'm missing?
    - Feel free to tell me all that is too much of a PIA, and should I just sell them all and buy something new and fun there.

What about cars? Both are pretty new and unmodified ('16 GT350 and '18 Tacoma). Any known issues with the 95db law and the gt350?

2. TWF2

TWF2 2 heads are better than 1

Pressing question should be do you want to move to CA :)

Phl218, RRP, brex and 3 others like this.
  3. SLLaffoon

Very good question. Probably wouldn’t randomly move, but my job is taking me there. That part is a good opportunity, so I’d like to go with it.

4. brex

brex Well-Known Member

Will the pay be double what it is now to offset the cost of living?

5. SLLaffoon

I wouldn’t move out there for charity.

pscook likes this.
  6. OGs750

OGs750 Well-Known Member

I brought my ex-race bike turned "streetfighter" to LA a few years ago and went through inspections no problem. It still had a full exhaust, non-stock headlight, no turn signals, no mirrors and minimal body work, but everything was safety wired :crackup:

I remember going through the DMV guidelines they have online and made sure that my bike was in compliance, but the inspector didn't seem very vested in doing a through job regardless.

I remember hearing stories about canyon riders getting fix-it tickets when riding the snake or other hot-spots, but I never got caught up in it personally. Also, nothing happened when I got a speeding ticket on the highway. YMMV

7. dsapsis

dsapsis El Jefe de los Monos

Other than cost, SD is pretty nice (just ask JBraun). I lived there 5 years and they were good ones. Not sure about the bikes issues, Stephen. But I figure for you to register, it will probably involve an inspection where they look for CARB conformance.

8. TX Joose

TX Joose Well-Known Member

They do a VIN verification and they damn well better match or you have documentation on why it's different. They put the info on the title. Also be prepared to pay lots of money.

Speaking from experience.

9. TWF2

TWF2 2 heads are better than 1

Do they still require 7500 miles on it before it can be register in CA?

10. KrooklynSV

KrooklynSV Usual Suspect

Only for 49-state bikes. If it's a used bike that has < 7500 miles, but is a 50-state bike then you only run into issues if you've removed the EPA emission stickers. Do yourself a favor and get those re-applied if you have a 50-state bike with < 7500 miles.

They don't do a proper inspection - all they do is write down the frame VIN and engine VIN. So, when you go to the DMV make sure to remove any fairings (if needed), so they can get to the engine VIN. They won't do anything about aftermarket exhausts or turn signals. They just want the VINs and want to see the EPA stickers if the bike has < 7500 miles.

11. t11ravis

t11ravis huge carbon footprint

:crackup:
    "Want" is rather subjective.

Damn Stephen, I figured this would be the year you quit work, sell everything and do the full Twins Cup schedule with us. I guess I'm a bit off.

12. stangmx13

stangmx13 Well-Known Member

Had to get a salvage bike inspected at the DMV many years ago. the engine # was covered by the fairings and the inspector was adamant that I couldn't touch the bike to remove a panel so she could see it better. she went inside to grab a flashlight and I removed it. she was MAD, but saw the numbers and we were done. she didnt check anything else about the bike.

13. SLLaffoon

I'm thinking the Hawk and SV probably aren't worth the effort. What do you guys do for track bikes? Is there still a registration process for tax purposes? What about dirtbikes?

14. SLLaffoon

I'm going to have to check if the Grom was sold 50 or 49 state legal. Never paid attention to that stuff before. 7500 miles on a Grom sounds awful.

15. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I can't remember anything lately not being 50 state.

16. SLLaffoon

Riding or crew? I figured work would taper down too. Guess I was wrong. It's a good thing. It means stuff is going well. It's just a lot of work...

t11ravis likes this.
  17. KrooklynSV

KrooklynSV Usual Suspect

CA wants/requires you to register everything. Track bikes should be registered non-operational, dirt bikes have to be registered as OHV and depending on how new your dirt bike you may/may not be able to ride it in state run recreational areas for most of the year. If you're not from NY then the DMV here is a rude awakening.

18. ts199

ts199 Well-Known Member

R1, R6, MT10, MT09, MT07 all have CA models. R3 is good though. Most of the Yamaha street bikes have a CA specific model.

19. ts199

ts199 Well-Known Member

Just by looking at the title, I wondered how quickly someone would throw shade on California.

First reply.

California has always been Democratic, always had a very diverse population and always been expensive so what has changed that folks love to bag on it now?

There are places I would never live and some of you reside there and talk about it. It has never, ever even crossed my mind to point out a negative or hate on someones choice of location to reside. You do you and if it makes you happy, awesome.

Imnotfast likes this.
  20. SLLaffoon

I wouldn't take any of it as bagging. Travis, Dave, and Zoran all know me and know that a Cali move is a pretty big life and financial decision. I've been in Atlanta since '01 and have a garage full of Georgia spec bikes to show for it (hence the thread). I have lived in California before (Merced-Atwater area), but I was 7.