1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Supermoto Racing

Discussion in 'General' started by John Hancock, Feb 16, 2019.

1. G2G

G2G I feel the need

You can see in the pic I posted above my FS has SMR forks with ohlins internals. I put the Air forks on my KTM 500 EXC.

The Beer Hunter likes this.
  2. mb17

mb17 Broughton859

Damn I don't know of any tracks around there. Try and look up kart tracks around you and a lot of them will have open practice and should let bikes on. I'm not familiar with any race orgs around there though. I think Nashville use to have mini races in a parking lot but I have no idea if they're still doing that or not.

3. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

What year had the Air forks you didn't like? I see a lot of people swap the 16 and 17s to ohlins. mines a 18 and I Like the forks besides being really stiff at the recommended air pressure.

4. noles19

And to answer this, My friend Dave and his son, raced at tally this weekend, dave rode his r1 and converted fc450 supermoto, He said the racing on the supermoto was the most fun hes had in a long time. and he won his races on his r1 also, so that says alot haha.
    And I had a good time riding my fs450 at Barber last September, it just needed more gearing.

John Hancock likes this.
  5. The Beer Hunter

The Beer Hunter Well-Known Member

These were 2018s.

noles19 likes this.
  6. John Hancock

John Hancock Well-Known Member

Closest one is Midpond. Just south of Birmingham 3.5 hrs away from me. I took my Grom down there last fall

7. Kris87

Kris87 Friendly Smartass

Fred Cobb was fast AF on his 450 back in his day. But he's old and washed up now....just like me.

G2G likes this.
  8. Racer822

Racer822 Member

I'm reviving this thread because I have a question... Would there be any class the New Yamaha Tenere 700 in supermoto trim be eligible for? Seems like that would be a hella fun supermoto bike...

9. turbulence

turbulence Well-Known Member

doesn’t it use the same engine as the fz07? so anything that bike would be i guess? twins?

but man, that seems like a LOT of work to get that race ready.

G2G likes this.
  10. turbulence

the challenges i see with racing a 450 on anything bigger than a kart track..

gearing. my FS450 is only a 5 speed and stock gearing it tops out at about 95 or so.. playing with some gearing calculators i can get it to about 110 without losing too much down low.

bellypan. no one makes a tech approved bellypan for dirtbikes (that i’ve found).. i’ve fabbed one from a plastic skid plate and some fiberglass that would work.

aero.. goes hand in hand with gearing. not much of an issue on smaller tracks, but anything with a decent straight you’re going to run out of gearing and aero.

i thought about doing double duty on my FS450 this year.. kart track and bigger track, but i just bought a ktm 690 smcr instead and will run that on the bigger track and leave the 450 for the kart track.

for anyone thinking about supermoto/mini moto racing, i’d HIGHLY recommend it. cheap bikes, cheaper (ish) tires, cheap entry fees, they crash well, and usually so do you because the speeds are less.

Boman Forklift likes this.
  11. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

It's a LW Twins machine just like the FZ07.

12. noles19

I'm racing with ahrma this weekend on the big track at cmp hopefully, going with a cake pan belly pan and 15/40 gear to start, we'll see!

turbulence likes this.
  13. G2G

G2G I feel the need

I have raced at Road Atlanta, Jennings, Laguna Seca, Gingerman, Grattab, Blackhawk, Topeka all on a 450 and most of those on my FS 450. I gear it 15/40 or 15/38. no issues

noles19 and turbulence like this.
  14. turbulence

nice! please update how it went

also.. pics of said belly pan?

15. turbulence

what are you doing for fluid containment?

i’ll probably take my FS out for a trackday on the big track this year just for shits and grins.. we’ll see

16. Racer822

Racer822 Member

I was thinking it would be cheaper (No Bodywork).. Though I understand it would still need to have some sort belly pan or engine diaper.. Though if your racing with LW Twins, like SV 650's and so on, a SuperMoto type chassis probably would not be very competitive, right?

17. noles19

For which fluid?

18. turbulence

belly pan

19. turbulence

i mean.. i guess it depends on the track.. the tenere isn’t a supermoto. my 690 is like 100lbs lighter, my FS 200lbs lighter.. that’s a LOT.

i’d put my 690 up against an SV with equal riders barring no mile long straights.

20. Racer822

Racer822 Member

Your harshing my buzz, man!