1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Supermoto Racing

Discussion in 'General' started by John Hancock, Feb 16, 2019.

1. John Hancock

John Hancock Well-Known Member

Who races a 450 or 250 Supermoto setup with WERA. How competitive are they in their classes with the sport bikes of their size? The reason I’m considering this for the comfort of me in the bike. I raced an R6 (slowly) and had a ninja 250 ( never raced it only did a couple of track days). I never felt comfortable on these bikes. I recently sold my Grom which I did a couple of track days on it on a kart track and really enjoyed it but want something with more power. I’ve also considered getting a crf150r or an 85 cc 2 stroke to do some mini racing. Feedback appreciated

2. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

3. baconologist

baconologist Well-Known Member

John Hancock likes this.
  4. John Hancock

Didn’t think about the 690 and 701

5. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

Unless things have changed a lot in 10 years, a 450(I'm partial to blue)is a great weapon. An SV will kill you on the straights, but you can eat their lunch on the brakes and corners.
    I miss my YZ.

John Hancock likes this.
  6. The Beer Hunter

The Beer Hunter Well-Known Member

Depending on the race org, 450 Supermotos actually run in UL or 500 class. The new Husky FS450 is stupid good and could probably hang with SVs without a problem.

7. John Hancock

I know but that price tag on the Husky

8. The Beer Hunter

I'm thinking of selling my old RFS KTM 450 and buying one. 63hp and 240lbs out of the box, sign me up!

John Hancock likes this.
  9. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

I think simply making them into a super single(bodywork) is a huge performance increase due to the horrible aerodynamics of a dirtbike. You need a lot of hp to overcome the brick wall that is a supermoto.

John Hancock likes this.
  10. mb17

mb17 Broughton859

Where are you located? There's a lot of good mini orgs across the country and a few Supermoto specific orgs as well. I personally wouldn't want to run a SM 450 on bigger road race tracks. Somewhere like Loudon is fine but I would rather stick to a bigger bike for bigger tracks. That's just my opinion though and there are a decent amount of people that road race 450 SM's. I started on an R6 and eventually go into mini moto which then lead me back up to supermoto and I feel like supermoto hit the spot for me. It cost less, tires last longer, it's still hella fun, and most everyone I've meet has been pretty awesome. I will say mini moto definitely game me the most smiles per dollar though.

MachineR1 and John Hancock like this.
  11. John Hancock

I’m also looking at getting a 150r or a 2stroke for a mini Moto. I’m really leaning toward this for the smiles per dollar like you said.

12. John Hancock

I’m located in West TN

13. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

10.5 for everything it has is actually great deal. It would cost about 15 to build an equivalent bike..

turbulence likes this.
  14. noles19

That's what it seems like still, although the new 450s make about 55hp at the wheel stock and are insanely light.

15. baconologist

baconologist Well-Known Member

I’ve never looked at the 450 specs before. Where did they find 100# vs the 701

16. G2G

G2G I feel the need

I race a 450 and love it. Small tracks and sumo tracks are so much fun. Once you get on a bigger track the advantages go away as a 450 only has so much. 39685726_10156508730286877_5934154080053100544_n.jpg

turbulence likes this.
  17. G2G

G2G I feel the need

701's weight is alot more than a FS 450. It may have more power but are not as nimble as a FS.

noles19 likes this.
  18. Robby-Bobby

Robby-Bobby Steeltoe’s Daddy

Depends on what type track you’re planning to run.

Big Road race courses will require more upkeep.

If you’re playing on kart tracks then a 250 is butter!

Big tracks id look for a 690 or 701 KTM or Husky.
    450s are great for either but all have pros and cons

turbulence likes this.
  19. noles19

Totally different designs, really. The fs is based off the fc450 and the supercross bikes they are doing everything they can to make them light. Composit subframes, etc etc

20. The Beer Hunter

I've ridden two FS450s and they are head and shoulders above the competition. One was essentially stock, personally im not a fan of the air forks, I think they make the front end feel numb. The other one I've rode has a full Ohlins setup and is the tits.

racerx13, noles19 and G2G like this.