1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What kind of shore power outlets does Fontana have?

Discussion in 'General' started by tophyr, Jan 23, 2019.

1. tophyr

tophyr Grid Filler

I remember going there last year and not having the correct connector - IIRC they've got the regular 120V "normal" 20A plugs, and then I think a NEMA 14-50 (50A RV connector) plug as well? I've got a NEMA L14-30 connector to plug into my generator but I don't have a 14-50 adapter for it. My trailer pulls more juice than the 120V-20A socket will be able to provide when it's running the heater as well as all the normal stuff.

NEMA L14-30 (what I have):
    [​IMG]

NEMA 14-50 (can anyone confirm this is actually what's at Fontana?):
    [​IMG]

2. Gumby647

Gumby647 SeƱor Member

When I was at Fontana last year I plugged my motorhome into a standard 50amp plug like the one in your picture.

tophyr likes this.
  3. tophyr

tophyr Grid Filler

Awesome, thanks. I'll build an adapter for that.

4. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Yep, standard 50 amp RV plugs. Home Depot sells an oven plug that has the ground as two parts so you can leave the foot of the L off to make it an RV plug. Cheap and easy to build an adapter.

tophyr likes this.
  5. jksoft

jksoft Well-Known Member

6. beac83

beac83 "My safeword is bananna"

Except that's not what he needs.

He has a L14-30, which is a 120/240V 30A connector, much like an electric dryer plug. (Its a twist-lock version of the 14-30 dryer plug.) If he adapts to the 120V 30A RV type plug then he only gets 30A @ 120 V instead of 60A@120V (30A x 2). It may or may not work for him, and definitely won't if he has anything that needs 240V.

He can go to a box store, get a 14-50 range cord, and then add a female L14-30 connector on the loose ends.

7. jksoft

jksoft Well-Known Member

My bad. That's going the wrong direction. My RV has the 50 amp plug that has to be converted to 30 sometimes.

8. Marid2apterbilt

Marid2apterbilt Well-Known Member

From my experience 50a RV plug are 240v 2-live/1 neutral/1 ground.
    The 30a RV 3prong are 110v. Only 1 live.

The 30a Genny plug you posted in first post should be 240/ 2 live/1N/1g

Parkworld 691944 Power Adapter 4-Prong Generator 30A Locking L14-30P Male to RV/EV 50 AMP 14-50R Female https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LGBOQ2Y/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_SPqsCb1GFHA2X

Your RV or trailer should be female. I've never seen premade adapters with male on both ends ..... Shock hazard..

Unless you need male on both ends buying a premade adapter is easiest.

I've got 50a RV to 2 -30- RV and adapters to split it down to 3 120-15a I've bought off amazon. They have almost every possible adapter.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2019
  9. tophyr

tophyr Grid Filler

I ordered this a few hours ago - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B076ZTWL4K/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00__o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I get the right thing?

10. Marid2apterbilt

tophyr likes this.
  11. Marid2apterbilt

12. tophyr

tophyr Grid Filler

Plug on the trailer is male, and I attach the female end of my cord to it. I have a regular M/F L14-30 extension cord that plugs its male end into my generator (EU7000, has the topmost-pic socket in this thread). The generator provides 240V 30A

13. Marid2apterbilt

Yes that adapter should work great

14. beac83

beac83 "My safeword is bananna"

Yes.

tophyr likes this.
  15. Jedb

Jedb Professional Novice :-)

Good luck in Fontucky, @tophyr

tophyr likes this.
  16. Mongo