1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Machinist-CNC toolpath help

Discussion in 'General' started by GRH, Dec 27, 2018.

1. Rdrace42

Rdrace42 Almost Cheddar

Ok, let's see how many people can answer this question... Why did it take Gene Haas so long to get out of jail? (I run all Haas, so guess I'm allowed to tell this joke)

2. tittys04

tittys04 Well-Known Member

Ramp angle is a good catch. I would have thought 3 degrees was a safe start, I haven't seen many tools that required less than that, but it's definitely possible.

3. Blackbeener

Blackbeener Well-Known Member

drill a pilot hole first is my official "Floriduh" answer

4. GRH

GRH Well-Known Member

I checked the programs for the pieces in question and the ramp angles were at 4 degrees. Default is 3, I probably should have left it alone there.

5. GRH

GRH Well-Known Member

That was a pic I had on my laptop at the time but you’re right in recognizing that it’s a ER16 with a spot drill
    The tool I was using was a ER32 1.85” CAT40 holder with a 4 Flute .50” EM

6. Dan Dubeau

Dan Dubeau Well-Known Member

They couldn't find setting 51 and disable the door interlocks in the new controls?

7. Rdrace42

Rdrace42 Almost Cheddar

Nope.....cuz he couldn't cut steel! Actually, I like your answer better. I've now officially revised that joke.

8. Rdrace42

Rdrace42 Almost Cheddar

Hey Dan, you ever use Haimer tools? If so, thoughts?

9. 5axis

5axis Well-Known Member

We use a great number of their shrink holders and have no issues with them.

10. Dan Dubeau

Assuming you're talking about a 3d taster? No, havn't used any shrink holders either although they would be awesome for much of what I do (long stickouts). Tough to the justify to the accounting dept after all these years of making do without.

11. Rdrace42

Rdrace42 Almost Cheddar

Actually, I just meant their tools in general. So you guys don't use probing? Man, that's easy to justify to accounting, especially when you do a lot of setup changes. Being that I run all Haas, we're using the Renishaw they offer as option. Generally, they're a huge time saver, and really helpful for doing QC on multi-cavity ops. One caveat, being that I've got 2 spindle probes that are constantly going out of adjustment, so we wrote a macro for it to probe a bore on a setting ring, to zero it back in before doing a measurement.

Man, if I had the stuff available back when I was racing, I'd have the most pimped out bike out there. Like Stanboli level stuff. Ok....I'm not that good, but it would sure be way better than the rearsets I hacked out on a manual mill back in the day. :rolleyes:

12. Rdrace42

Rdrace42 Almost Cheddar

It's kind of funny how many CNC guys there are in the NC. Plus ice racers to boot! Speaking of which....you've got the wrong pic on your avatar, 5axis.

5axis likes this.
  13. GRH

GRH Well-Known Member

I'm using Haimers 3D taster, no probe yet, hard to justify at the time, maybe down the road, people seem to really like them IMG_0300.jpg

14. Dan Dubeau

I run longer running stuff where probing just wouldn't be that beneficial. Saving 1 minute when you're only running 5-6 different parts with 2-3hour cycle times a day takes a long time to pay for the probes for 4 machines. Quite familiar with probes and their benefits (and weaknesses), but they just wouldn't provide a ROI for us. If I was doing production work in vises,then hell yeah, but for the stuff I do it would take a long time to see any benefit. The first time I'd have to take the toolsetter off the table (would need to happen weekly) would wipe out any time the probe saved me.

If I bought a machine for home though I would get a probing system. The stuff I'd do at home, and the work I'd chase would benefit from probing. They HAVE benefits, but are not a be all end all for everything.

15. Rdrace42

Rdrace42 Almost Cheddar

You guys must not be that old yet...they ARE the be all and end all, when you can't see the dial anymore! Plus I'm getting kind of lazy in my old age. I've got 2 different shops, and the larger one makes primarily molds, and run time can be 4-5 days. But my guys still get them up and running much faster, and are less prone to mistakes, which can be $$$ on a 300 pound block of material. My small shop I'm running a lot of different, shorter run parts, and frequently changing setups. That really helps me get to making chips much quicker.

And? It takes me a heck of a lot longer to do a job setup than one minute. Are you bragging Dan? :bow:

16. 5axis

5axis Well-Known Member

I'm liking the probe on our new parpas. Still there are times when the ole interapid is the right tool for the job.

300lb. LOL fpt.jpg

17. Rdrace42

Rdrace42 Almost Cheddar

Steel elitist! I told you, I'm running all Haas, so I can't cut steel like that. Ok, if we're going to do one-upmanship, then I'll get my buddy on here that worked at a forge. You could literally drive a pickup on to his table, and he routinely machined parts that were 20m lbs or more. Talk about throwing chips. So that looks suspiciously like an injection mold there, 5axis. Or not.

5axis likes this.
  18. GRH

GRH Well-Known Member

Who are your guys customers?

19. 5axis

5axis Well-Known Member

Yep, I mostly cut molds. It's not a bad gig and they pay me enough to go racing and take my vacation days pretty much when I wanted.
    mold2.jpg

20. Rdrace42

Rdrace42 Almost Cheddar

You familiar with Commercial up in Keeenosha?