1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gen3 SV 650 Steering Damper

Discussion in 'Tech' started by MikeDeRoche, Nov 27, 2018.

1. MikeDeRoche

MikeDeRoche SailCaptain

I would like to race WERA next summer so I need a steering damper for my 2017 SV 650.

Scotts list a kit for the 2015 SV 650 and the Gen 3 is more a restyled Gladius than it is a new bike.

Does anyone know if that will work or are there any other solutions? I prefer not to do any bracket welding.

2. regularguy

regularguy Always Krispy

I have seen a rotary style damper on a 3rd gen SV. The bike had a 2nd gen S model upper triple tree on it. If Scotts has a listing for a 2015 SV (Gladius), it should work as the Gladdy has pretty much the same frame and front end as a 2017-2018 SV650

3. MikeDeRoche

MikeDeRoche SailCaptain

Thanks for the reply.

I had previously swapped out the original upper triple clamp with a unit from a SV 650S (Gen2 ?). It doesn't have the handlebar mounts so that half of the mounting procedure should be pretty straight forward. The next concern would be the hole spacing of the of the piece that uses the tank mounting bolts and then the height of the pin. I guess what I really have is a Gen2-ish triple clamp arrangement and a Gladius like frame.

I don't know if the Gladius had clip-ons or regular bars. It sounds like this can all be made to work, it just may take some parts from two different models.