1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Howza 'bout a 2019 WSBK Silly Season Thread...

Discussion in 'General' started by Steady T, Jul 17, 2018.

1. metricdevilmoto

metricdevilmoto Just forking around

I'm regarding Gobert in the sane way I'd regard the guy begging for change outside a WAWA (NE represent!)

We can argue about their salary vs their value and/or entertainment value, but the only number that keeps the racer in the paddock is the salary.

If social media attention was the ultimate litmus test, wouldn't Redding have a proper ride instead of stupid hair?

RRP likes this.
  2. metricdevilmoto

Could be worse. He could have punched a cop in Daytona as well.

3. Tortuga

Tortuga Well-Known Member

Talking about how much money a rider retires with as an indication of their "value" to the sport of motorbike racing is, well, a bit silly. First off, unless you have seen their bank balances and know how much they actually have and where exactly it all came from, you're just making up stuff to support a pre-held opinion. So, have you seen those riders' bank balances and know for sure where the money came from?

Also, I think you're being incredibly unfair to Redding. I've met and spoken with him on several occasions from when he was in Moto2 and he was always friendly, a bit cocky sure, but no more so than any other racer in any paddock anywhere.

As for his current antics or social media shenanigans or whatever, for a moment put yourself in his position; you've worked your ass off every minute of every day, made sacrifices that most people wouldn't consider of for any prize or price, and risen to the top of your field only to be, through no fault of your own, hired by companies in which it is, literally, impossible to succeed and show your talents. Next thing you know you've been replaced by that company before you've even been given a chance to prove yourself. Sucks right? Now consider you still have to show up at work and risk you life for that same company for the next year, regardless. How high would your motivation be? Once you've been kicked in the teeth it's harder to smile.

Then again, maybe Redding is "retiring" from MotoGP a millionaire. Would that change your opinion of him?

4. metricdevilmoto

Not in particular. His career path is a clear indication of how he's being regarded. When you wave your arms around begging for attention on social media, you don't get to choose when people are looking. Redding chose to get his tips frosted and say dickhead things.

Regardless of what he made in GP, he's going to BSB, which comes with a downgrade in both prestige and pay.

And I don't mind cocky, especially when it's warranted. But racers that act immature and exhibit zero self control don't often get far. And this isn't just my opinion. This is being played out in real time with Redding's career path.

It's nice to hear that you had a positive personal interaction with him, but if you owned a company, would you tolerate an employee like him? Turns out, Aprilia (and every other factory and satellite GP team) weren't interested in dealing with it either.

Also, keep in mind he had a first time, one year deal. That's rare.

5. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

BSB might have the least electronic aids of all the series right now. It's a rider's series. The tracks in BSB are closer to what we are used to in club racing here. Redding is in for a shock. Then again Hopper took to it well. But he had superbike experience.

Best.Season.Finish.EVER

Gorilla George and Ra.Ge. Raptor like this.
  6. RRP

RRP Kinda Superbikey

You pretty defined our entire culture with this statement. Most things that are "entertaining" at this stage of our devolution have a serious lack of substance or depth.

7. PPPope

PPPope Well-Known Member

Jesus Christ, that was soul stirring. Absolute limit and clean riding!

8. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

He was also very fortunate to even get a MotoGP ride in the first place. He is one of a number of guys that I think who's success didn't warrant moving up.

9. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

Any series looking for new audience should use this for adverts. :D

I had forgotten that Shakey, way out in front, actually stopped so he could see which of those guys won the championship lol.

10. HPPT

HPPT !!!

I'm not convinced.

11. That video is up there with the Kiyonari rain video, and that AFM banquet motivational video from several years ago.

They should all be bookmarks and required viewing for all racers.

12. metricdevilmoto

No? Who do you have consistently beating him?

13. HPPT

HPPT !!!

I don't know about consistently, and I need to know if Shakey is going to race again, but I don't see the competition being destroyed by him. He might have the most race wins, but I would bet that he doesn't win the championship if you gave me 2/1 odds. :D

14. metricdevilmoto

Even if Shakey races again, I don't know how confident I'd be that he'd be as good as he was. I was basing the Redding championship on Shakey not being a factor. I have to assume he's seen at least most of the tracks before. The bike may be a bit of an X factor considering it's a new platform, but PBM isnt new to this.

15. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Shakey needs to walk away while he can still walk. Become a manager, run a team, be a rep for some helmet or leather manufacturer, just do not race again. Ever.

16. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

Y'all forgot the Panigale took years to be competitive right?

Just because the new gixxer won multiple championships in it's first year of competition don't expect that from a Ducati. :D

17. mgiossi

mgiossi Well-Known Member

I remember watching that afm video when it was put on YouTube. After that I said that's it I need to start Racing. That video is awesome

Gorilla George and noles19 like this.
  18. Bruce

Bruce Tuck & Roll

Is there anything better than racing motorcycles?

19. prospected

prospected Well-Known Member

If Bradley Ray can get some consistency then he could. McKenzie was finally showing some good pace at the end of the year. Dixon will be there and if O'Halloran stays healthy Redding is in for a rude awakening.