Nashville Area Peeps - Adult Hockey

Discussion in 'General' started by grasshopper, Nov 1, 2018.

1. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

I think Ice Hockey is about to explode up here. They have the parents who are fans, a large base of kids who can afford it and now, more than enough rinks. It was always a viable sport if you didn't mind travel but with this place and their way of doing things. . . NoVa hockey is gonna be huge.

rd400racer likes this.
  2. 90kacoupe

90kacoupe Novice seeking Help

I don't think that is Centennial, I do not recognize it. Unfortunately the Cool Springs rink has been shut down due to bad management. Yes I was at Iceland. It really is sad. Being able to see light under the boards really makes your play a little different against in the boards so you don't get speared by your own stick. I also scored a goal there by icing it on the goalie. The goalie had his stick in front of it to block it, and the puck hit a bump in the ice and jumped over his stick. I felt so bad for the guy.

3. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

Yeah, that might be the Cincy Sportsplex, but I know we won some championship at Centennial too. Sorry to hear about Cool Springs, that was a nice rink.

I can't recall how many times I chased a puck into the corner at Iceland only to have my stick go under the board and get gut speared. Seldom is the ice worth a crap there.

4. grasshopper

grasshopper Well-Known Member

There are plenty of old beat up barns in the chicagoland area I've played at over the years. Usually the ice is the worst around where the zamboni gets on and off. But hey a bumpy nasty ice surface get's you all primed for the hand eye coordination required to play in the Labatt Blue Pond Hockey tournament in Eagle River. Fun time up there.

5. Timex64

Timex64 Well-Known Member

Luckily Ford Ice is Nashville's newer rink and the ice isn't too bad, for Nashville. Hopefully we come through with the new rink in Bellevue. Right now we have more players than available ice time at Centennial and Ford.

6. rd400racer

The younger looking coach on the far right end of my previous picture has taken a team to that tournament the last few years and won it at least once (in their division). Of course they're sponsored by a bourbon company:D

[​IMG]

grasshopper likes this.
  7. 90kacoupe

I really hope Bellevue helps with that. I'm really tired of these 11:30pm weeknight hockey games. Ford ice is definitely a nice facility, but I like the way Centennial runs their league. I play upper C at both. Looking for a B league team for next season or to sub for occasionally.

8. grasshopper

Dude... that's standard beer league ice slots. The kids get all of the good ice times and we get out after the kids go to bed. Standard Operating Procedure

9. 90kacoupe

I understand, I'm just wishfully thinking. Its not to bad but the three teams I play for are sunday, monday , and tuesday night leagues. So come wednesday morning I'm dead!

10. Timex64

Timex64 Well-Known Member

Centennial is hit or miss in the B league. Either three full lines or six guys show up. Lots of superstars since it's a non checking league. I am too soft at this point to be playing till or after midnight on a weeknight.

11. worthless

worthless Well-Known Member

Since the hockey crowd is here, I know this is really a stretch, but, if anyone is interested in a set of dasher boards, let me know. Got a couple available.

12. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Jesus Crust, this place is bizarre anymore. Just spoke with a guy not two weeks ago who was looking for that shit. No idea on what happened but I'll see next thursday.

13. worthless

worthless Well-Known Member

Anymore????? When wasn't it bizarre?

14. grasshopper

Schlitz Faced 2018 30+ Intermediate

upload_2018-11-2_11-1-1.png

rd400racer likes this.
  15. 90kacoupe

I know that feeling. My teams use to be that way. Not so much anymore. (knock on wood) When I first started playing with one of my teams, the first 5 games with them, I had to skate the whole game. Those were some long nights.

16. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

Someone say adult hockey?

[​IMG]

brex likes this.
  17. grasshopper

Yea no way I would do that. You have to spread it out. The Sunday night games suck. I typically skate Wed and either Fri or Sat. There's open hockey on Mon but I rarely ever go

18. rd400racer

For 12 years I had a game Sunday night, coached Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday nights (two teams… a travel and high school), played in an Over 30 league Wednesday night after practice, and then had to coach games every Friday, Saturday and Sunday. For 12 fu*#&ng years.

It was a recipe for burnout. I haven't laced up skates in over 2 years.

19. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Never mind, he emailed me and it's a complete cluster f@ck.

20. Sprinky

Sprinky Well-Known Member

We were just talking about this at work yesterday. A couple of my co-workers have young kids in youth hockey and it's to the point where they have 80+ kids in whatever the elementary school age bracket is. And this is a small community. One of the suburban school districts is going to be able to field 4 full high school teams in two years will all the kids coming up. My bosses kid is big into it and the only time they can get ice is late at night. They practice from 9:30-10:30pm during the week. It's nutzo