1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

B-17G ride. Anybody had one?

Discussion in 'General' started by jrsamples, Oct 19, 2018.

1. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

Well then my memory is jacked... Thanks for the clarification..,:beer:

2. R Acree

R Acree Banned

My dad wanted to be a P51 pilot when he was in HS. Used to ride his bike from Bartow to a training base in Winter Haven. By the time he graduated and enlisted in summer '44, the air war in Europe was winding down. They anticipated an intense bombing campaign against Japan. He ended up as a tail gunner in a B29. War ended just before his crew was scheduled to ship out.

3. diamondj

diamondj Well-Known Member

Isn't the CAF still flying Diamond Lil out of Texas?

4. Big T

Big T Well-Known Member

Nope, Lil needs new motors at $75k a pop. Win the lottery, make the donation.

Witchcraft is the only B 24 flying

5. diamondj

diamondj Well-Known Member

Looks like Lil might be back in the air after all. They show her as a ride plane in Texas this weekend:

https://wingsoverdallas.org/aircraft-posts/b-24-diamond-lil/

6. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

Two questions:
    Where is the top turret on Diamond Lil? That would be my 1st thing to ride in as it was mt Dad's position.
    Since when did they become the "Commenorative Air Force" instead of the "Confedorative Air Force"?

7. SteveThompson

SteveThompson Banned by amafan

You’ll have to look in the dungeon for an answer to that.

8. Robin172

Robin172 Well-Known Member

fastfreddie, motoboy and mikek like this.
  9. mikek

mikek Well-Known Member

Will Yossarian be the pilot?
    good one!!!!!!!!!

10. ahrma_581

ahrma_581 Well-Known Member

Catch 22 was b25's. To be pedantic.

Coincidentally, my daughters bought me a ride in one for my birthday couple years back. B25H, the version with a 75mm Sherman tank gun in the nose. Engines are deafening, as they are very close in. Prop tip just clears the fuse, keeps your attention when you're in a jump seat behind the pilot.

11. joec

joec brace yourself

I saw diamond lil when I saw Fifi. I stood on the fire line when they started one of the motors and it was impressive. I was just a kid in high school but I remember how intense that one motor running was and that we were allowed to pretty much get as close as we wanted.

They had a Corsair fuselage in the bomb bay of Fifi they were transporting.

12. wera313

wera313 Well-Known Member

I made a trek to Norwood, MA last month for a flight in the Collings Foundation owned B-24. Incredible experience and highly recommend if you have the opportunity. My father-in-law (now passed) was crew on the B-24 over Europe. Part of the reason I went was to video the experience so that my very young daughter might have appreciation for what he did through sight, sound and motion.

It's a visceral experience in that aircraft. The amount of power/torque on take-off was really unexpected. Pushed me so had to strain forward as those beautiful radials were at full power. Really incredible.

This thread motivated me to put a few of video clips on YouTube:

Triple X and joec like this.
  13. joec

joec brace yourself

The racked bombs are cool!

14. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

Just stumbled onto this, seems appropriate.

[​IMG]

Triple X likes this.
  15. Ein

Ein Member

Take the ride. Pull on the exposed rudder cables to see if the pilot is awake...yes, while in flight...

Edit: not during TO or landing...

16. mikek

mikek Well-Known Member

Thanks for the great vid clips!!! enjoyed that a LOT.

17. twin ty

twin ty Well-Known Member

Great video! I had some photos from one I was in but your clip is much better.

18. SVbadguy

SVbadguy I survived the Mt Course

19. joec

joec brace yourself

Image_1563208660.jpg I found my pics of Fifi and some of the other caf stuff I had. This was about 1986/7

20. SteveThompson

SteveThompson Banned by amafan

Fifi is sitting on our ramp right now. Want to know who's not getting in that thing.

joec likes this.