1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dear Target....you suck

Discussion in 'General' started by Metalhead, Oct 9, 2018.

1. G2G

G2G I feel the need

Like you said across the street........ Its not shitcago.

2. Chino52405

Chino52405 Well-Known Member

I'm near Diversey and Western so those places are only about 120 blocks South :D I can probably make it to Milwaukee in about the same travel time.

3. JBarx

JBarx Status: None.

Confirmed.

4. K51000

K51000 Well-Known Member

I re-did my rear deck, and put down Eng. Hardwoods in my home last year.

After all the research I did before hand, I bought that stuff from:
    - a Flooring company- that would also sell retail- Way better stuff than the Big Box, lumbar liquidators have.
    - and #1 treated deck boards, w/ 4x4's and 2x4's and the the railing stiles- ALL in the premium 'Brown' pressure treated lumbar.
    For small stuff, I use Menards or HD- in the Brew city area

5. beac83

beac83 "My safeword is bananna"

Hard to tell the difference between Beverly and Evergreen Park.

And more to his point, Lowes and Walmart are both well inside Chicago.

6. beac83

beac83 "My safeword is bananna"

20-25 minutes, non-rush. I frequent a place in Bucktown regularly.

7. worthless

worthless Well-Known Member

Stopped in Target last night and got some good fresh popcorn. mmmmmmm
    upload_2018-10-12_9-7-0.png

Phl218, ToofPic, joec and 1 other person like this.
  8. Metalhead

Metalhead Dong pilot

I hate you.

9. worthless

worthless Well-Known Member

PM your current address and I'll send you a box. I'm sure it will still be fresh by the time it gets there.

10. Funkm05

Funkm05 Dork

Accurized

worthless likes this.
  11. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Could be, thought that was a dock/ship thing but would make sense to use it.

12. joec

joec brace yourself

There are other grades of framing lumber available than #2.

5/4 is rough lumber. Not dressed.

13. tiggen

tiggen Things are lookin' up.

I remembered saying the same when I was a kid, except replace Walmart with Kmart and replace Target with Walmart. The more things change, the more they stay the same.

14. R Acree

R Acree Banned

5/4 dresses to 1"...frequently used for decks.

15. OldSwartout

OldSwartout Well-Known Member

5/4 decking used to really be 5/4, not anymore. A couple years ago I replaced some deck boards and the new 5/4 decking was 1/4 inch thinner than the originals. Made for nice tripping possibilities. Sh*t!

16. joec

joec brace yourself

Ugh....

17. JBarx

JBarx Status: None.

I'd LIVE in a Target before I shopped at a Wal-Mart. If nothing else, the scenery is exponentially nicer, especially in my area. That's reason alone, but the ability to checkout inside of an hour and a half also makes it much more appealing.

SGVRider, motoboy and joec like this.
  18. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Not sure what your point is.

19. joec

joec brace yourself

My point is that when people in the trades ask me for things, like a "5/4 board" they 99pct of the time don't know what it is they are actually asking for. They know what they want, but they have no clue what it is they are saying actually means.

If I call my lumber guy and order 5/4, it shows up rough. If you call my lumber guy and ask for 5/4, it shows up the same way.

5/4 is rough. Not dressed. Period. Because you buy a piece of "5/4" from Lowe's home Depot, Menards, whatever, that's dressed to 1", does not change the fact that it's a rough lumber designation for figuring b.f.

If you want 1" dressed, say so. Know what you're talking about. Learn the terminology relating to your trade.

Fwiw.... Not aimed at you.

20. R Acree

R Acree Banned

OK. Back in the day I ordered a bunch of 5/4 PT dressed to 1" with radiused edges. But then, I am more vintage than most.

joec likes this.