1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What’s my bike worth?

Discussion in 'Bikes for Sale' started by josh7owens, Oct 12, 2018.

1. josh7owens

josh7owens E-Kart Champ

I’m thinking about selling my 2011 GSXR 600 supersport bike. I could name out every part and how much I paid for it but basically it’s a complete full build with over $11k in parts which include the TTX 25 pressurized front kit, TTX GP rear shock, and ohlins steering damper. The bike is well sorted and the suspension was all done by Thermoman.

Realistically if I was to sell it what should I expect getting out of it?

I haven’t rode it all year due to the fact we had a baby in January, I also have a back injury related to a car wreck from a couple months ago so I’m really debating just selling it and living a safer life instead of risking making my back worse in a crash or something like that. On the other hand Suzuki hasn’t changed the GSXR 600 at all since 2011 so it’s basically the same bike that’s sitting on the show room floor new but with thousands in parts and prep. So that though makes me want to just leave it sitting in the garage in hope I’ll have more time for it in a year or two.

I literally started it for the first time in 6 months a couple days ago. Thoughts guys?

If needed I can post a full detail build sheet but just trying to get a true estimate on value and if that number is enough to make me justify parting with it or leaving it for a office art piece. Haha I have all the stock pieces to put it back to stock also that would be going with the sell.

2. Kolbe

Kolbe Well-Known Member

I thought you raced go karts?

badmoon692008, Dragginass and sdg like this.
  3. josh7owens

josh7owens E-Kart Champ

Lol haven’t been there in probably over 6 months either honestly. Life’s been busy with the baby, finishing school (again), and my wife in school still.

I’m really just looking for solid info on my bike. Please don’t troll this thread.

4. Wingnut

Wingnut Well-Known Member

Hey don't troll this thread he says......

Must resist trolling.....must resist.....

badmoon692008 and sdg like this.
  5. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

A racer races.

You might look through the WERA classified section for a comparable bike, that would give you an estimate on what yours is worth. Is the $11k you spent include the bike itself? I will guess between 5-6k. Your list of goodies would definitely help in calculating the value. There are variables....pics, title, wear.

6. younglion

younglion Well-Known Member

Stock motor or built?
    Spares?
    Miles?
    Title status?

If it shows minty fresh, looks like a quality machine that you could eat off, has a built engine by a reputable shop and is fresh, and has typical spares included - I'd guess top dollar around $7500-$8000.
    If it looks mediocre, has a stock or tired engine, little or no spares - you're looking at $4500-$5000.

7. Spitz

Spitz Well-Known Member

IF you have all the stock parts you'll get more parting it out and selling the bike as a stock bike. However the time involved might negate how far you want to dive into that. It can be tedious especially when people eff around, then you have to ship a bunch of shit etc..

Ps- tree fiddy.

track wagon and Kolbe like this.
  8. josh7owens

josh7owens E-Kart Champ

$11-12k plus the cost of the bike, I’ve owned the bike for 5 years.

I’ll write out a list of mods after I finish some charting.

9. Kolbe

Kolbe Well-Known Member

Tree fifty tends to be going rate on hypothetical so I'll toss in the lint in my pocket to up the offer.... post some pics and a full parts list. Might help you break the the 5k mark on a 8 year old bike... might.

10. Clay

Clay Well-Known Member

If you want money and you're willing to do the work of taking it all apart, packing, shipping, and dealing with "customers", part it out. I've parted out every race bike I've ever had. From CBRs to minis. I've always made considerably more by parting it out, to the point of making back a lot of what I spent on it considering the bike itself. On my son's 125 I even ended up making about triple what I paid for the bike. If you just want to get rid of it for quick cash, then do what's been suggested. Go look in the wera ads for comparable bikes.

11. track wagon

track wagon MCAS MIRAMAR

7k and go from there. Or part out.

12. josh7owens

josh7owens E-Kart Champ

In the classified section I found a 2011 for $6500 and a 2015 for 11k. Mine seems to have as much if not more in parts then both of those bikes listed. So I’m guessing somewhere in the middle of those two numbers.

Really to make sense of selling it I would probably want $8k-10k for it. I could probably put it back to stock, sell the bike for $5-6k and then sell all the parts for about 50% and that would net me another $5k or so.

Basically if I’m going to sell it I think I would have to do a part out to make sense of it financially or I’m better off keeping it and looking at it in my home office or something.

Hell the suspension was on the bike was $4000. $4000 plus a $5500 bike is $9500 not counting the other $8k in parts on the bike. I originally thought it would probably sell for about $10k but I guess that’s unrealistic.

13. Kolbe

Kolbe Well-Known Member

Put it back to stock and part it out for your best results. Or you can keep for a display piece. Otherwise sell it complete for a loss and move on.

Wheel Bearing, gapman789 and BigBird like this.
  14. Spitz

Spitz Well-Known Member

That's retail bro, you're in the "trade in" category now... :D

Sell the big shit high dollar items off the big to save time and net you the most. The piddly shit like drain plugs and the like won't bring anything more to the table unless you really have the time. Remember, you still have to find the buyer, take pictures, deal with people, deal with people, deal with people. :D You get it. It's a time/ value thing. Selling shit isn't as easy as buying it that's fo' sho'.

I see easy to sell stuff:

exhaust
    suspension
    tuner/ qs
    rearsets
    lap timer
    steering damper
    and maybe the battery and body work

all the rest is meh stuff IMO, but ya never know what people are lookin' for.

BigBird likes this.
  15. If it helps, I just sold an R6 Superbike that had a lot more parts than yours, and a fresh 143hp motor, for $9,400. There was over $40k in that bike.

Granted, I could have gotten more for it apparently. I had 10 PMs within the first few hours, and the bike was sold in less than 24hrs. Many people said the price was too cheap, but it is what it is.

I didn't want to deal with a lot of haggling and hassle. Once the decision was made, I wanted it sold immediately before I changed my mind (again).

To be honest, you will be very lucky to get $8k for your GSXR. They aren't as desirable and don't bring as much money. That's not a jab, its just how it is.

ToofPic, BigBird and younglion like this.
  16. josh7owens

josh7owens E-Kart Champ

I think you change screen names every time I log on here but thanks for the reply. I’m surprised you even sold a bike unless you just needed the space. I’m surprised you don’t just have a office with bikes in it as display items.

I guess I should take the winter and put it back to stock then once spring comes around sell it and do a big part out for all the parts. I had $50k in a car I raced SCCA national stuff with and parted it all out for about $40k. Maybe if I sell the bike stock for $5500 and start selling all the parts maybe it will Work out. Seems selling it the way it is isn’t going to net me much of anything. I like just looking at it more than $6-7k.

gixxerboy55 likes this.
  17. That's really all it boiled down to. Bikes are piling up and I need to make space for new ones. Plus I am trying to simplify my life and get rid of a lot of stuff in general, to make it easier to be more flexible (move out of the US).

While it would be more work and hassle, parting out the race stuff and then selling the bike separately is the way to go. You will definitely make more money that way. I probably should have done that, but I didn't want to mess with it. I let all the spares go with the bike, including the spare Marchesini rear wheel, even though it didn't raise the price any.

It all depends on what you want. A quick and hassle free process, or maximum profit. If you want the latter, then parting out the race parts and selling the bike separately is definitely the best way to go.

18. Robby-Bobby

Robby-Bobby Steeltoe’s Daddy

Realistically you’re looking at a $6500 bike.

If it were an R6 maybe 8500.

From what I read, your motor is bone stock. Which is a good thing for street sale and a not adding value to a race bike sale.

Lol and stop listing every nut and bolt you paid for.

Half the stuff on your list isn’t adding a cent to the value....

Lol motoD valve stems and decals? Come on....

For what it's worth I sold my factory race bikes that had well over $40k into them for $15 grand.

Put the street shit back on it and sell it fast for $5500.

Then sell the exhaust and suspension and other legit extras and make another $3k

19. surfingsk8r

surfingsk8r Well-Known Member

Robby Bobby’s advice is spot on. Otherwise you might get an extra 50 bucks if you sign some part of the bike “Josh 7 Owens, electric cart legend” and sell it to a Wera forum member who gets the reference.

badmoon692008, Kolbe and Phl218 like this.
  20. From the Forum Rules sticky thread:

Third Amendment

In light of the changes to the forum regarding classifieds, we will be paying particularly close attention to people trying to get around the system and starting threads here that are designed to turn into a classified.

If you don't know how much your bike is worth, do some research. Don't start a classified here pretending you just want to know how much you should sell it for.