1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Moving to the Pittsburgh, PA then to Frederick, MD

Discussion in 'General' started by Chris, Oct 5, 2018.

1. Chris

Chris Keepin' it old school

Well, a work opportunity has presented itself that I simply couldn't turn down. The company that is hiring me is building a new facility in Frederick, MD which should be operational in early 2020. In the meantime I will be living/working just north of Pittsburgh, PA. My wife (stay at home mother) and two young children (1-1/2 YO and 4 YO) enjoy going to museums, parks, farmer's markets, etc. Looking for any input of fun things to do around the Pittsburgh area for the next year. We're really excited to check the city out!

Our permanent move will be to the greater Frederick, MD area. I have a lot of family out there and we have a few cities in mind including Frederick, Walkersville, Thurmont, Waynesboro PA to name a few. We are looking for a small town feel with a nice older downtown area. I understand the taxes are lower in PA, but I imagine the commute to Frederick could get long. We are moving from the greater Detroit area and my daily commute currently is 45-55 minutes each way, which is doable but I would love to shorten it up a bit.

I know we have a lot of members in both areas I've mentioned. Any input about places to visit in the Pittsburgh area or cities to look at the Frederick area would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

2. prospected

prospected Well-Known Member

Urbana, Monrovia, and Braddock Heights are pretty nice and surround Frederick. Not to mention you're only an hour away from the VA/WV mountains

Chris likes this.
  3. buzz-06

buzz-06 Well-Known Member

What part of Frederick is the new job going to be located? That'll give me a better idea on what to suggest based on traffic. I live just outside of walkersville.

4. Chris

Chris Keepin' it old school

It is in the southeast side of Frederick.

5. Spang308

Spang308 Well-Known Member

Commute from PA to Fredrick is a piece of cake. Rt15 traffic is relatively light even during rush hour. Gettysburg is only half hour north of Fredrick. South of Fredrick seems to be where the traffic is heavy. Thurmont has what you described.
    Whole bunch of museums and culture within an hour of Fredrick. If you track or race, Summit Point is 45 minutes west of there.

Chris likes this.
  6. rd49

rd49 Well-Known Member

Ummm city to city is about 200 miles. You have an interesting take on an easy commute. :D

7. Dits

Dits Will shit in your fort.

Gettysburg to Frederick? About 35 Miles iirc

8. Dits

Dits Will shit in your fort.

OP. Check out Lucketts VA.

Chris likes this.
  9. rd49

rd49 Well-Known Member

Oops thought he was talking Pittsburgh to Frederick

10. ts199

ts199 Well-Known Member

Pittsburgh is a very cool city and I bet you will be sad when you leave, I know I was. Lots of history, good food, cool neighborhoods and really nice people. You will have lots to explore in North Park and the city is fun with lots of cool areas with a different feel. Shadyside, Lawrenceville, Squirrel Hill, Oakland and the strip are all fun in their own way. I was moved here for a job and didn't know what to expect and was pleasantly surprised. You will like it Im sure.

Oh, almost forgot, one of the best tracks in the country is over in Beaver so probably about 30min. from the N. Suburbs. Pittrace has trackdays every month from April-Oct., a MotoAmerica round and one WERA race a year. The newly repaved Nelson Ledges will be an hour away and Mid Ohio about 2.5 hours away.

rcarson15, beac83 and Chris like this.
  11. Rrider

Rrider Well-Known Member

While in the area of the 'burgh, the Carnegie Museum of Natural History and the Canregie Museum of Art are pretty good. Absolutely visit Fallingwater, it is amazing. Seven Springs is pretty good for an eastern resort, hills are short but there are plenty of runs and the fake snow they make is actually pretty good. Summer visits there aren't bad either with the alpine slide (which can kill you), and other activities. Spend an afternoon at Station Square, ride the incline up to Mount Washington and have lunch or dinner up there overlooking the city. There are lots of cool neighborhoods around the city, Shadyside is cool and Squirrel Hill is making a comeback. Eat pizza at Mineo's in Squirrel hill and have a Primanti's sandwich in the strip district (original location). Better yet, eat at Primanti's as much as possible. The roast beef they use is the best I've ever had. Get used to living in the world's craziest sports town. Too many people wear Steelers and Penguins jerseys almost every day, including to Christmas and Easter Sunday masses. Most places are very safe, but steer clear of the North Side, Wilkinsburg, McKeesport, Braddock and Downtown (after dark).

Chris likes this.
  12. jksoft

jksoft Well-Known Member

Agreed with almost everything exper except that last part about downtown. I live about an hour outside the city but work downtown. I know downtown used to get a bad rap, but it has changed a lot and I've never had any issues or felt unsafe downtown after dark.

Where will your work location be in Pittsburgh? Traffic into and out of downtown can be insane due to the tunnels and bridges. There is a train that can bring you in from the south of the city.

Tons of things to see and do. A couple of good concert venues bring quite a few acts through if music is your thing. A couple of my favorite downtown restaurants: Madonna's (middle eastern/ Syrian), Nicky's Thai Kitchen, Sienna Mercado (meatball joint) Condados (tacos).

Chris likes this.
  13. jksoft

jksoft Well-Known Member

Also, not sure about the commute, but i have family in Boonsboro and that seems to meet all of your other criteria for the Frederick area. If into history, lots of civil war sites around there.

Chris likes this.
  14. rd49

rd49 Well-Known Member

Worked downtown Pittsburgh for years in the late 70s into the mid-80s and spent a lot time in town on the weekends(had a couple friends who were bartenders at a couple places). Never had any issues. Moved back here last year after being gone for 30 years and town is even better now. More restaurants and bars. It really has gotten even nicer.

Chris likes this.
  15. prospected

I thought Pittsburgh had a fairly large pocket of run down neighborhoods.

16. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Doesn't every city?

17. britx303

britx303 Boomstick Butcher…..

Plus the Barbara Fritchie classic right in Frederick.........we haven't been in several years,but i'm assuming its still happening . Also flatrackin' in Timonium as well,which isn't too far. The white rose hill climb over towards York Pa. Plenty to do on 2 wheels............that is the top priority,correct?:p

18. rd49

rd49 Well-Known Member

The old steel mill towns, yes. The downtown area, no

19. prospected

Frederick...no... :D

20. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

Go to a Penguins game.

Chris likes this.