1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Weather conspiracy

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by sheepofblue, Sep 21, 2018.

1. dsapsis

dsapsis El Jefe de los Monos

That's not a forecast. In fact, the last one is a backcast. Just sayin'.

2. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Growing up in Ivory Coast, the weather bulletin after the evening news was a lot more about how the weather had been that day. :D

3. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Did it come as a surprise to the viewers?

4. mpusch

mpusch Well-Known Member

I should dig out a spreadsheet I worked on tracking weather predictions daily for like two months. Took the rolling ten day forecast and measured change and accuracy.

I'm an exciting person, i know.

auminer and Boman Forklift like this.
  5. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

I keep meaning to do that, but I have more important shit to do... like post on here.

I do notice that the 7-10 days out forecast often calls for astronomical amounts of rain, by the time it comes closer, 2-5 days out, it's only torrential rain; when it's the next day's forecast, it's a pretty good amount of rain... then on the day in question it becomes a 'chance of rain' which sometimes actually happens.

Maybe I will start tracking just the rain forecast vs actual for 7, 8, 9, and 10 days out. DFW would be a rainforest if the forecasts held true!

6. dsapsis

dsapsis El Jefe de los Monos

Rain varies a lot by microclimate and storm patterns. If you were to do that it makes most sense to take a lot of readings and area average them, because unless you call the office for a spot forecast (which they typically wont do for more that 24 -72 hours), what you are getting is a regional/psa one. Mesonet is a good archive.