Bike suggestions for my Dad.....

Discussion in 'General' started by NemesisR6, Aug 2, 2018.

1. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

It's hard to beat that flat six for smoothness.

2. panthercity

panthercity Thread Killa

And, the Spyder requires significant upper-body strength to ride 'spiritedly'.

CMRA 270 likes this.
  3. StanTheMan

StanTheMan Well-Known Member

My next-door neighbor is about to sell his Kawasaki Concours, it's in great shape, (he's OCD as hell about his stuff) Let me know if you'd be interested. I don't know the model year, but it is immaculate and has about 18 or 19K miles on it. I've ridden it before, it's really smooth, and fast too. I think he's going to ask somewhere in the 4.5 - 5K range.

4. cBJr

cBJr Well-Known Member

My Dad wanted to stay away from the weight of gold wings so he went with an R100RT. We’ve had it in our family for almost 30 years now. I actually want to sell it, but haven’t had the nerve to list it yet. Dad sold it to me when he stopped riding due to problems with vertigo. I rode it for 3-4 years but it doesn’t fit me me as well as my r80rt and I wanted to get into adventure touring. Anyways if your Dad wants an old airhead I’ve got one for sale.

CMRA 270 likes this.
  5. seroj

seroj Well-Known Member

If he likes V4s maybe a VFR800 or old school Vmax?

6. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

I was thinking on of those Honda VFRs but the seat might be a bit high.

Stan mentioned a Concours and those things are freakin' awesome and a steal at their selling price used. Seat might be a bit high.

I'd look at that Concours, And a Grom to goon it up in parking lots. Old dudes like gooning as much as anyone. :)

7. pscook

pscook Well-Known Member

Concours. Not the 1300, but the older C10 model. Flat foot at a stop light, balanced weight, and easy ergos. Get the Rifle screen extension/replacement and have so much wind protection you can smell your own farts.

crusty9r and panthercity like this.
  8. StanTheMan

StanTheMan Well-Known Member

My neighbor put a lower Corbin seat on his Concours, and I think he still has the stock seat too. I'll try to get him to send me some photos and put it in the Wera Bikes for Sale section. I actually want to buy it, but my wife told me to GTFO with that idea. Evidently having multiple motorcycles is currently frowned upon in this household.

NemesisR6 and Phl218 like this.
  9. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

what about a maxi scooter? Like a burgman or silverwing?

10. NemesisR6

NemesisR6 Gristle McThornbody

Where are you located?

11. NemesisR6

Nope. If he doesn't throw a leg over it it's not an option, and if he's not rowing through the gears himself it may as well be a blender in his eyes.

He's quite fit for his age........bicycles over 100 miles/week, wrenches in his garage, has plenty of grandkids to dote over........I'll be lucky to have a quarter of his capability when I reach his age.

TurboBlew and BigBird like this.
  12. panthercity

panthercity Thread Killa

Loved my old Concours. Then I rode an FJR1300. WOWZA!

CMRA 270 and crusty9r like this.
  13. crusty9r

crusty9r Human Lawn Dart

I put over 150k miles on C10's. Love them for what they are. My 158hp zg1400 is a different animal altogether. Heavy and tall though...

14. Past Glory

Past Glory I still have several AVON calendars from the 90's

Nearly every bike mentioned is most likely too tall. That CTX700 Honda has both the low ride height and (relatively) light weight you say he's needing.

15. britx303

britx303 Boomstick Butcher…..

One of the newer Bonnevilles with a windscreen if he wants the wind protection. Lots of older gents love those for the nostalgic look but modern reliability.

16. baconologist

baconologist Well-Known Member

VFR800
    Street 3
    NT700v
    FZ07
    XSR700
    Sv (that was painful)
    Any of the New Honda 500 versions
    CB/CRB 650
    Tiger 800 Roadie
    PC800

Lots of options in the sub 500# middle weight catagory. You’ll just need to get creative with luggage. Hell, there are even Ultralight sport tourimg options if he really wants a bicycle. Or go BMX and get a 701SM!

17. NemesisR6

Well, one more trait my old man has that I forgot to mention is a distinct lack of patience.

Visited the local BMW dealer today and this had been traded in this morning. 2009 R1200RT with only 14k miles. His last bike was an R1150 so this was like slipping on a favorite pair of shoes. He likes the ergos much better than the Honda he rode, and prefers the familiarity of the power delivery as well.

He has to wait a couple days for them to service it, but I don’t think I could wipe the smile off his face if I tried.

Thanks for the help, gents!
    B99FD242-6B72-4CD4-B853-F031661AE29F.jpeg

evakat, beac83, L8RSK8R and 12 others like this.
  18. JBall

JBall REALLY senior member

Awesome. Hope that's me in 18 years.

NemesisR6 likes this.
  19. speedkelly

speedkelly Well-Known Member

That's pretty darn cool, 78 and still riding, good looking bike too. I think at 78 I would not want to waste time looking at bikes. Just want to get out there and ride the darn thing. Enjoy riding with your pops.

BigBird likes this.
  20. dobr24

dobr24 Well-Known Member

Glad he didn’t want anything too big ;)