1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any cigar lovers here?

Discussion in 'General' started by trancework, Jul 8, 2018.

1. trancework

trancework It's always now...

Yeah, I know... I've been gone like forever--before anyone asks, here's an FAQ: My Startup? Failed miserably, ended up me paying what more-or-less amounted to a few people's extended medical bills from savings, never again... Funding and "investors"? All moneys spent were mine and I didn't take a single penny from anyone else. "Friends"? Lost a few who seemed to think I'd make them rich through some kind of magic. Where've I been? Disappeared for a few years months at a time with a bike, some camping gear and a tent.... Now, that's all out of the way....

Who here digs cigars? I quit smoking cancer sticks a decade ago and in the last year have taken to having a more-regular-than-not cigar... Came across this bit of awesomeness the other night and wanted to share--the included "Tactical Humidor and Combat Knife" made it too cool not to:

https://www.coronacigar.com/product/Cigars/Cigar-Boxes/Gurkha-Spec.-Ops.-Sniper-CH-GUSN20CH/

Of the stuff I've smoked, really enjoyed various Gurkha stogies--had 10 or so different types, overall good value. The 21-year-aged Cellar Reserves are like the equivalently aged scotch (and pretty expensive too @~$20 per stick) e.g. https://halfwheel.com/gurkha-cellar-reserve-21-kraken-xo/141436 Kristoff is another brand I've been pretty impressed with, maybe it's because they have a stick branded "PISTOFF KRISTOFF". Can't help but chuckle pulling out one of those.

2. BrianC636

BrianC636 Well-Known Member

I had a Camacho barrel aged cigar today. I try to enjoy a cigar at least 2-3 times a week.

trancework likes this.
  3. Resident Plarp

Resident Plarp drittsekkmanufacturing.com

The Arteru Fuente is kinda my thing. Only because I know a dude that smoked stogies when I was teenager recommended them.

Weddings, funerals, and major tear down on the bike are the only time I smoke one.

BrianC636 likes this.
  4. BrianC636

BrianC636 Well-Known Member

Had a Don Carlos sungrown on the 4th. Fuente makes a pretty solid cigar.

5. Bloodhound

Bloodhound Well-Known Member

6. trancework

7. tiggen

tiggen Things are lookin' up.

About to go smoke a Punch Rothschild maduro. Favoirte is a Partagas Serie D No 4. Loved the Cohiba Behike I had, once.

My Father (pretty much any)
    Padron (2000, anniversary)
    CAO Brazilia
    Vegueros

These are a few of my favorite things.

8. r6khari

r6khari Well-Known Member

I'm a pretty big fan. Davidoff, Avo, Fuente Hemingway, My Father, Liga Privada and some from that island south of Miami.

Rico888 likes this.
  9. Bloodhound

I just searched for cigars & checked the thread titles only box.

10. trancework

Ok, that makes sense! :D

11. Linker48X

Linker48X Well-Known Member

True and funny story— my daughter took a quick Christmas break from medical school a couple years ago to go climbing in southwestern Cuba and had to hike across a tobacco farm to get to the limestone cliffs they climbed. The farmer sold her a bunch of his home grown, home rolled cigars and she packaged them up for gifts to us, and that spring all 7 of us sat out on the deck one night around the fire drinking mojitos and smoking the cigars—family cigar togetherness! Even my non-smoking wife, LOL. And they were surprisingly smooth and mild.

bj likes this.
  12. Lever

Lever Well-Known Member

I’ve always loved the coffee infused/flavored cigars. Nubs are a great smoke. Almost anything by drew estates is a top quality smoke (if you like something milder or infused). The ACID cigars have really grown on me as well. The Kuba Grande is my current favorite, but not a routine smoke since it’s around $10/stick. For a daily smoke, I’d consider something like the Isla del Sol line. Awesome smokes and just over $2/stick if you know where to go ;)

13. Bloodhound

Try the Roam or Extraodinary Larry.

14. Flavored cigars? :Puke: I bet you like them with your Cosmo.

BrianC636 likes this.
  15. Phl218

Phl218 .

well. i started out with Acid - kuba kuba or 1000cc , occasionally a blonde..

now i just order samplers from CI every quarter or so...

16. Gino230

Gino230 Well-Known Member

I've been smoking a cigar a week for going on 20 years, tried lots of different kinds. I've had my share of Cubans, including the ones I picked up in Havana myself.

What I find is that I like Dominicans just as much, and at half the price. Cohiba Maduro or LaGloria Cubana if I'm in the mood for something strong. Monte Cristo or Licenciados if I want something a little milder. Partagas are a little sharp for me.

I order from Mike's Cigars, they have all kinds of deals and packages, they usually throw in some "bonus" smokes, brands you may have never heard of. Often they are quite good and I'll end up ordering a few.

I've slowed down a bit recently, only because with kids, marriages, house remodels, deaths, etc. the guys don't get together as often as before and it's more of a social thing for me. It's not the healthiest of habits, but what the hell, you gotta die from something!

17. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I think you turned me on to Mikes, love that place. Order the samplers whenever I run low. Really like the Churchill size and lean towards Montecristo, Macanudo, or Rome y Julieta as favorites. Sadly I don't make notes like I should as I know there are other brands I've enjoyed too.

Gino230 likes this.
  18. codyjphoto

codyjphoto Well-Known Member

You absolutely can not go wrong with the Liga Privada No. 9. Any vitola.

On the cheap, yard cigar side... Gurkha has a Park Avenue 44 I like. Also comes in a Torpedo.

19. DaveB

DaveB Just Riding Around

Been known to enjoy a few. I tend towards the ones on the medium to full end of the spectrum most of the time. I have a few favorites and enjoy trying new ones at the local shop sitting around shooting the breeze.

Standbys I'll enjoy anytime:
    Liga Undercrown
    LaGloria Cubana Series R Maduro
    LFD Colorado Oscuro
    LFD Capitulo
    Fuente Hemingway Signature
    Liga #9
    601 Green (Oscuro)

20. trancework

I've been experimenting with going it on the cheap. I tried a few from "Cuban Rounds"--the regular and the "Connecticut"--both were terrible IMO. The wrapping of the Conn. unraveled after snipping the end and the other one was a bit thicker but it too had wrapping/stay-together issues.

The Gurkha Prize Fighters were recommended by the same seller at the same price point, much better experience was the similarly-priced Tatiana Java. After that, pretty sure I'm DONE with Cuban Rounds....