1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

R6 Ignition Advance - 92 pump gas

Discussion in 'Tech' started by Schwiz, Jun 19, 2018.

1. Schwiz

Schwiz Well-Known Member

Is anyone running an ignition advance on their 08-16 R6's?

If so, have you seen performance gains on the dyno with the advance, and to what % advance did you run?

I've got an 08 race bike with full graves exhaust, stock filter with the baffle cut off, and a thinner head gasket, otherwise, my bike is stock. I run 92 octane pump gas.

Thinking about putting the bike on the dyno to test the ignition advance but wanted to see if others have actually seen any tangible results from doing this before I spend the money. Thanks!

2. stangmx13

stangmx13 Well-Known Member

have u flashed the ECU?

3. Schwiz

Schwiz Well-Known Member

It's flashed and I own FlashTune.

The dyno time is not cheap, so I'm hoping gain some insight if it's even worth testing and trying out or not.

4. RightSideUp

RightSideUp Well-Known Member

Dyno is the only way to know, Same dyno same day same conditions etc. when you are trying to get everything you can out of the motor safely.

MELK-MAN likes this.
  5. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

take it to the dyno... advancing timing without enough octane can get very expensive, very fast..
    I have no idea if it makes power, i suspect it does, but i'm not a tuner. You would certainly want to have a good tuner at the controls doing this.
    Conversely, MR12 is not very high octane (89 or 91 depending on the method of rating) but is oxygenated. you run -2 to -4 degrees of timing at high rpm, opposite of advancing.

6. Schwiz

Schwiz Well-Known Member

Thanks for the insight guys! To the dyno I go...

7. Ya that little timing table can get very costly if you don’t know what you are doing. On the avg bike, especially with inconstant pump gas the risk isn’t worth the reward if you are advancing it enough to get every last bit out of it. We test regular pump fuels all the time during on road testing trips (my company makes fuel tanks for auto’s). You’d be shocked, most would but you clean injectors so you most likely are not, how off a lot of the fuel is. Even big brand name stations. Best and most consistent company we’ve seen across the US is Sunoco 94, we’ve chocked that one up to 94 being a stand alone draw from the main underground tank and once you get above the 92.6-9 level it’s harder for manufactures to add stuff that vapors off to increase octane. We’ve seen some 91 pumps at 87 and change, some 87 punps at 85 and other at 89-+. That’s why any known race fuel, even though more expensive, to me more important than he power it makes it that you always have consistent fuel. Easier to add safe power when you know what you are putting it.

MELK-MAN likes this.