1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Amenities at Willow Springs

Discussion in 'General' started by egomezent, Jun 4, 2018.

1. egomezent

egomezent Well-Known Member

the family will be staying home, so I’m heading up this weekend solo. Thinking about just pitching a tent and camping
    1. How are they with camping in the pits?
    2. Any showers on site?
    First time there so any advice would be appreciated

Thanks I’m advance

2. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

You can camp in the pit, I did it all the time when I raced at Willow.

I can't remember regarding showers, it was early 90's when I raced. When I returned around 2011 with my kid, we had a toy hauler, so I didn't check.

egomezent likes this.
  3. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Pneumatico Delle Vittorie Retired "Tire" Guy

The house of charmin is magical :blart:

ChemGuy and egomezent like this.
  4. Camping is no big deal. We always do it. Showers are non existent and the bathrooms can be rough in the summer.

There’s a good Mexican spot we eat at that’s on a side street near the track.

Don’t get there too late, sometimes the guard isn’t around and you have to sleep in your rig. We wouldn’t show up past 8-9.

egomezent likes this.
  5. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Hell, I've been locked in the track :D

6. Same. :crackup:

7. Boman Forklift

That place is awesome.

There is also a pretty good Italian place on the other side of the freeway. I think you go up to the Fastrip gas station and turn right and the pizza/Italian place is on the left within a half mile.

I have too, they lock it every night. I'm getting older now and asked someone, "what happens if I'm having a heart attack and need out of this place? They said go to that house right by the gate and they will let you out". Fortunately I didn't have to test it.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2018
  8. I always forget about the Italian place. For a long time(years) I didn’t know the Mexican spot was there and I would get stuck eating jack in the box or gas station snacks. Unless you roll down to Lancaster, there’s decent grub down there. Good sushi, Italian and whatever other chain fast food you want.

9. And be careful at the gas station next to the jack in the box. We had the race cars out there and a couple guys I knew ended up getting detonation pretty bad. Turns out the premium pumps were pumping regular gas.

10. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

Yes all this.

Especially the Mexican joint. 10yrs ago it was THE place to hang after saturday practice. Good food. I once drove all the way there with the stupid 2x6 ramp i had on my small single rail trailer draging. The good news is it scrapped the perfect angle into the bottom of it...lol

My routine for several years. Get off exit. Stop and get gas at Chevron. Pull into Albertsons for supplies. Drive to track. Drink, BS and sleep.

fun times...

Last edited: Jun 4, 2018
  11. Boman Forklift

Same, same!!!!!

I remember in the early 90's my buddie and I sleeping in the bed of my pickup, and someone from the track let us sleep in the registration office, instead of the bed of the truck. Always liked that track, even though it still looks like it did from the early 90's, other than there is now Streets of Willow, the dirt track, the kart track, and horse thief mile. I guess they repaved it and widened it from when I ran on it with ARRA, but it still looks pretty old.

12. egomezent

What’s the name of the Italian spot? Sounds like a good Fri/Sat dinner plan. I’ll Save the Mexican/Margarita for after Sunday’s races.

13. Boman Forklift

I think it is this place? I don't remember the name just remember how to get there.

https://www.yelp.com/biz/guidos-olde-tyme-pizzeria-rosamond-2

egomezent likes this.
  14. twin ty

twin ty Well-Known Member

Be prepared. It gets cold at night out there and I remember some kind of bird, crows or something being loud when I was trying to sleep.

egomezent likes this.
  15. 05Yamabomber

05Yamabomber Dammit Haga

Those were the two strokes at 6am.... lol Braap, Braap, Braap, Braap, Braap, Braap, Braap, Braap, Braap, Braap, Braap, Braap, Braap, Braap, Braap, Braap, Braap, Braap, Braap hahahaa. good ol days.

twin ty and egomezent like this.
  16. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

LMAO

17. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

Willow Springs is probably the harshest spot on earth, so yeah, be prepared :)

twin ty and track wagon like this.
  18. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

Yep... cause apparently it takes 4 hours to properly warm up a 2T

19. egomezent

Thanks for all the advice. Broke down and got a room. Can’t live without a good shower after race day

20. Good ol Devonshire Inn?