1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Auto Auctions - Buying Salvage

Discussion in 'General' started by ScottyRock155, Apr 22, 2018.

1. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

whats funny in FL... there are auctions galore for dealers to buy from. Usually its larger dealers unloading truckloads of older trade ins for the smaller dealers to fight over. They were all raising hell when the Salvation Army started auctioning off their donated vehicles every other month.

2. hotnail

hotnail Well-Known Member

My uncle has purchased about 20 of those "rebuilt" titled cars and trucks....most are purchased with about 1000-5000 miles on them and were sent to auction via insurance company, rebuilt, and then inspected by state. He is buying $50,000 units for around $20-23,000. He said banks have no issues loaning on them and insurance companies have no issues insuring them. He has never had an issue with one. He did say he will never buy one that had air bag deployment though. I know this is the direction I will go next time around. If your driving a lot for work, etc.....this makes total sense. Might as well wear out a nice 20k car instead of a 50k car....the tax deductions for mileage are the same for either... so it certainly seems like a win!

Boman Forklift and BigBird like this.
  3. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

whatcha buying Scotty? Miata, BRZ/86, Vette, BMW....inquiring minds want to know

also good plan for a dedicated track car, especially if you plan to gut the interior, cage, etc. I know some people that did this to build their BRZ/86 race cars. Lots of these new sporty cars can be 'totaled' with enough front/side body damage, maybe bend the front subframe a tad and ding all the front panels, hood, doors etc...totaled.

4. BigBird

BigBird blah

5. YamahaRick

YamahaRick Yamaha Two Stroke Czar

Attached Files:

Murcielago311, BigBird and TurboBlew like this.
  6. ScottyRock155

ScottyRock155 A T-Rex going RAWR!

Not sure exactly, trying to figure out what my budget will allow. I would love to buy a BRZ project but even wrecked it looks like they are too much.

My new baby is preventing me from getting to the track on a bike anytime in the immediate future so I'm looking for something to work on in the garage. Not sure if I can go the Miata route, but the newer ones 06+ are a little more appealing.

7. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

someone was blowing out mufflers and not putting much miles on it...lol. Primary States of operation...New Jersey & FL?
    Wonder if the frame isnt that tweaked...can you just sheet metal the panels? Guessing the missing rear wheel will run about $5,000 or do you just change all of them to something else?

BigBird likes this.
  8. Fencer

Fencer Well-Known Member

Yes, but I was buying back my own wrecked truck to take parts off of it

9. Things had a rough life.

10. BigBird

BigBird blah

Can anyone help with a Copart auction for me? It ends tomorrow.

11. neckbrace

neckbrace Well-Known Member

Something to be aware of regarding salvage auctions. I have seen some pretty obvious scams come through Insurance Auto Auctions and Copart. People buy a wrecked car or truck, then pull the motor out and relist it. Sometimes they put a junk engine back in its place, sometimes they just close the hood and cut the release cable.

I've also seen some bodyshops half ass cobble a car together to make it look good in pictures but still could have major frame or suspension damage.

Just be aware, its not always insurance companies that consign items in these salvage auctions, and the auction companies will rarely tell you the name of the consignor.

TLDR version: go look at the item you're bidding on in person before bidding.

12. neckbrace

neckbrace Well-Known Member

What do you need help with?