Crossing borders in EU countries?

Discussion in 'General' started by Dits, Apr 19, 2018.

1. Dits

Dits Will shit in your fort.

Suppose I get a train pass and hit multiple EU countries during my stay in Paris. Do you have to check in with customs and immigration each time you cross a border?

Wife and I are planning a trip for the Paris Marathon and she asked me this question. I have no idea and can’t get a definitive google answer. I’m great traveling the Caribbean and South America. Never done Europe.

2. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

Look at Schengen agreement and how it was integrated into EU law....

3. Dits

If I wanted to research shit I wouldn’t have asked here.

4. casjoker

casjoker Refusing middle age

I did not but it has been 6 or 7 years since I have been there.

5. notbostrom

notbostrom DaveK broke the interwebs

Ask your attorney

Seriously I have no idea but curious what the answer is

6. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

In the EU it's like going from Maryland to VA.
    Going into Switzerland, it's pretty much the same. If they ask you to stop you do but otherwise just keep moving.

Where all you going?

7. Dits

Paris as home base (wife is running the marathon). Thinking about quick trips from there to Brussels and Amsterdam. But we’re open to cool suggestions... seven days.

8. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

If you are on the train and staying in western europe (outside the weirdo countries) just smile and keep moving. When you go in, fill out the form, don't bring in anything stupid (if they allow 200 smoke, don't try and bring in 220) and keep moving.

Oh, if you take meds, make sure they are okay to bring in. example: ADHD meds might get you chucked into prison if you go stupid.

9. Dits

So there is paperwork in each country? Or only if they request it?

I’m not planning on any illegal activity, just curious on the protocol.

10. Dits

Funny side story, my 16 year old kids got shook the fuck down leaving Jamaica a few weeks ago.

Like those stoner Jamaicans are worried about their ganja leaving. :crackup:

Lawn Dart likes this.
  11. Dominic Pergolese

Dominic Pergolese Custard Tidjle

I rode a motorcycle from the UK to Italy and back in 2016 and only got stopped at the eurotunnel. Once we were in continental Europe it was like crossing state lines with a sign welcoming you to the new county.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

12. Dits

So no C/I bullshit unless you are asked is what I’m taking away from this.

A slightly overweight 48 year old dipshit has little to worry about.

13. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

No, one little stupid form that they keep part of when you go in and (depending on where you go in) a part you give them when you leave.

It really is like going into maryland and then traveling around to PA, VA and WVA.

You're over thinking this, just book your tickets and hotels and kick back. When you going?

14. Dits

April 19
    Like I said. I’m all over the Caribbean and South America. Dealing with serious white people concerns me.:D

Last edited: Apr 19, 2018
  15. K51000

K51000 Well-Known Member

Oh then, you have plenty of time- feerrgggeeettt aabbbbouooouuuttt itt.

16. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

So paris won't smell like summer shit and Amsterdam should be laid back (warming but doesn't smell like wet shit and pot smoke).

Belgium is like going to SFO, Austria is boring and full of austrians and it's too early for the wine grapes in the DE.

17. Dits

So do you have travel suggestions?

18. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

how much time you have over there? France, outside of paris is cool. I love switzerland but it is expensive as heck any more and I like Germany outside of the cities.

My (current) favorite places in EU is Slovenia. :) But I like being left alone and just sitting back at a table with a beer, a good meal and people watching. I don't like the tourist shit.
    Freiburg DE is cool if you like the history and architecture gig for a day (weekends are best) to kill.

19. casjoker

casjoker Refusing middle age

Normandy...visit the cemetery and museum, then go to the beach. Humbling experience.

Potts N Pans and notbostrom like this.
  20. Dits

We have a week. Leaving the then 17 year old assholes at home to their own devices.

Both of us prefer full immersion, non tourist trips. Countryside and history along with food and booze is preferred.