1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

pistol thumb safety

Discussion in 'General' started by svracer22, Feb 27, 2018.

1. svracer22

svracer22 Well-Known Member

Looking to buy a striker fired pistol. Curious what the beebs opinion on the external/thumb safety is. This will be mostly a range gun, for now anyway. Most everyone I know says no but a couple of the local gun shops say the external safety versions sell almost 2 to 1. I was surprised at the discrepancy.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2018
  2. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

Step 1. Don't listen to anything you hear in a gun shop.

I don't understand. Are you looking for a striker fired pistol with a thumb safety? Are you asking about pistols with thumb safeties in general? Only a few striker fired pistols come with a thumb safety the majority do not. Mainly hammer fired guns are available with thumbs safeties.

3. svracer22

Definitely going to buy a striker fired one that is available either with or without. Maybe i should've said external safety.

4. Stumpy

Stumpy apprentice

I have a S&W M&P that had the external safety. It was in the way so I removed it.

5. soad

soad Member

IMO there is not a need for a thumb safety. you can get a s&w m&p 2.0 with or without a safety and my theory is that they only offer the safety because some police require it. same with the inability to fire a round with the magazine out. i think thats honestly more important than a safety.

regularguy likes this.
  6. Jedb

Jedb Professional Novice :-)

Sig320 has both options.
    One without the external safety and One with external safety.

I prefer without external safety, regardless of firing mechanism.

7. kenessex

kenessex unregistered user

My Taurus Millenium Pro has a safety. I like having it and I have never used it. It doesn't get in the way, but I guess I could use it if I wanted to. BTW, for a $300 pistol, I like it a lot. It is not my go to as I really don't like striker fired, 9mm, platsic guns (I like 1911s), but it has its place for me and it is pretty darn good for that kind of pistol. Well worth the money.

terminus est likes this.
  8. regularguy

regularguy Always Krispy

9. jasonhise

jasonhise Well-Known Member

Just bought the S&W M&P 2.0 and love it. Local gun shop here in SE PA was selling them OTD for $390. Actual sale price was $359. The older version was being sold for $269!!!

Matt kamman likes this.
  10. sidepipe79

sidepipe79 Well-Known Member

I prefer the thumb safety for no other reason than holstering and upholstering the gun. Once it is on my hip there is no need for the safety to be engaged.

11. svracer22

What shop? The 2.0 is what I'm looking for.
    I'm probably over thinking this. I won't use the safety but knowing that it's easier to remove it from a model with one than it is to add it to a model without one.
    I'm thinking in the future if there is ever a time I would want one it would be a pain.
    Is there any legal ramifications if I removed it and something went down. I know s&w won't sell the safety to add to a gun originally sold without one, they claim for legal reasons.

12. jasonhise

http://www.tannerssportcenter.com/

https://www.facebook.com/TannersSportCenter/

IIRC, they ship to an FFL closer if it's too far to drive for either $20 or $25... Still a good deal.

13. BJR119

BJR119 Well-Known Member

Lets get this out of the way, I am all for more firearm safety buuuuut. Most Striker fires in their design (exclude the sig recall) will not fire unless the trigger bar is pulled, even in a "drop" test. taking safeties out of the equation: a striker is typically half or partially cocked when you rack the slide back and chamber a new round. Pulling the trigger both fully charges the striker and releases it (look at Glock safe action). A full disassemble on popular models CZ, HK, Glock, M&P, XD, Taurus, shows the striker is blocked by a bar that is held captive by a spring, that spring can only be let go when the trigger is pulled and a detent is passed. It is a very simplistic design and been around since late 1800's. A trigger safety is really all these pistols need. XD goes the extra mile with the grip safety. I cannot see how and external safety would be wanted as it unnecessarily adds more to what is supposed to be a simple design. Everyone has their preference and I only mentioned the brands above because that's what I have and own. I put them in order of my choice to carry/shoot .02.

14. BJR119

BJR119 Well-Known Member

@Steeltoe said it, A lot (not all) sales reps at dealers are just trying to sell guns and couldn't tell you the difference between striker or hammered fire. go to your local store/show and pick up every one you can and dry fire. They all have a drastically different feel. Almost all the top brands have adjustable backstraps, but for me, everyone points different and some come more naturally than others. I compete with STI 2011's so that's natural for me. Glocks are great, but have a more aggressive grip angle which can be off putting to some (took me a lot of getting used to). The CZ melts in my hand and is my favorite to carry. the M&P texture is great and the 2.0 slide serrations are greatly appreciated. If you are a every day carry person, buy one of them knowing that you will probably switch to carrying it.

I'm trying not to ramble and get all TL/DR, but I like me some gunzz

15. jasonhise

Much crisper trigger pull on the M&P 2.0 versus the original for sure. Dry-fired them both back to back. Those four options for back straps are awesome and I tried all four to see which felt best and helped in finding my natural point of aim. Mine was the compact in 9mm with two 15 round magazines and the extended magazine extension cover things... Normally I carry a Glock 30, but this will be a solid second choice once I get a suitable IWB holster. Probably go Alien Gear again...

BJR119 likes this.
  16. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

My sig P938 has a thumb safety. It's next to the slide in a similar position to the decock lever on a Beretta or older SW. I find it more of a hinderance than anything. It seemed like a good idea in theory, but when I carry it with the hammer cocked I find myself constantly touching it to verify it's on safe. I know that the gun isn't going to fire itself, but for some reason it still gets in my head. I prefer a trigger safety, or better yet, a palm safety like a 1911 or XD/XDS.

My bodyguard has no safety, and is double action. For a last resort defensive gun, that makes the most sense to me. There's nothing to think about, and the trigger pull is long and somewhat heavy, so there's no chance of an accidental discharge.

jasonhise likes this.
  17. bored&stroked

bored&stroked Disclaimer: Can't spell

I get the external safety if its available. My FNP45 only has a decocker. My Kahr PM9 has nothing. So it won't stop me from buying a gun, but i like them as an option.

jasonhise likes this.
  18. Hordboy

Hordboy B Squad Leader

I like having a safety. Yes, it's overkill. If it is ergonomic and you practice with it, it's only a positive thing IMO. One more layer of security.

JBall likes this.
  19. JeffninjaR1

JeffninjaR1 Here until I'm not.

I just bought one myself. I chose the one without the safety... just one more thing to get in the way on such a small gun really. M&P Shield that is...

20. blkduc

blkduc no time for jibba jabba

No safety...next question.

BJR119 likes this.