1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2018 Winter Olympics

Discussion in 'General' started by Steeltoe, Jan 6, 2018.

1. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

It was worth watching and long overdue. Congrats to the USA girls!
    As for the regular NBC broadcasts they are nothing but mercenary advertising with an occasional event thrown in.

2. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

That shot by Remoulade will be a meme/gif for ages to come.

MELK-MAN and SnacktimeKC like this.
  3. Sprinky

Sprinky Well-Known Member

Men's USA Curling knocked off the Canuck's too to get to the gold medal game!

rd400racer likes this.
  4. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

During OT, I was actually begging for a commercial because I had to piss like a race horse. Never fails during any hockey game...I leave for 90 seconds to whizz and somebody scores a goal:D

5. BigBird

BigBird blah

6. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

what a hockey game.. the USA seemed to have a slight advantage in the 4 on 4 in OT, they were faster in the now more open ice. And that game winning penalty shot. unreal.

SnacktimeKC likes this.
  7. worthless

worthless Well-Known Member

MELK-MAN likes this.
  8. rd400racer

But the play of the game was Rooney's save with less than a minute in OT (and on the kill). Then again, as a goalie dad I always pull for
    the goalie's:D

Last edited: Feb 22, 2018
    Sabre699 and MELK-MAN like this.
  9. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

excellent Time.com article/link.. and yea, Rooney, just 20 yrs old. Incredible . unflappable.

10. rd400racer

I actually stayed up and watched all the post game interviews and analysis. Ends up the coach made a gutsy call early in the season to replace some old timers with younger players that didn't have the stigma of losing to Canada on a regular basis. Rooney stated that helped her in this game because she had no fear of the Canadian machine...it was just playing hockey against another team as far as she was concerned.

Another thing I caught was that the Canadian women had been practicing against a Midget AAA men's team quite a bit (Midget is 18 and under). I know for a fact that the American woman played against a college men's D2 team because they were in the same division my son played. The US women lost 7-5 (ENG), which is damn respectable. I've been to enough D2 games to know how tough they are. Much more so than Midget AAA. Might have helped them in the end.

11. ekraft84

ekraft84 Registered User

I don't watch hockey, but that goal was awesome. Watched it 20 times.

12. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

Only thing better was the images of skater Scott Moir drinking beer and losing his shit yelling at the refs lol!

[​IMG]

13. RxRC

RxRC Well-Known Member

Great game. What an absolute rip off having to go to a shootout. Ice time is tight? Maybe there was a Timbits practice following?

Lamarouix shoot out goal was good, her and her sister are still cheap hacks. The real pressure goal in the shootout was from Amanda Kessel. Unreal.

14. RxRC

RxRC Well-Known Member

What's D2? Are they scholarshipped players? No such thing as D2 hockey in Minnesota.

Couple of Olympics ago our USA women played Minnesota boys high school teams. The boys were faster, could shoot harder, but the women still won. Barely. :D

15. rd400racer

Nope, no scholarship but they're good players. Trust me, nothing like Minnesota hockey! You guys have it going on. Our club team had about half a roster full of ex-scholarship players that were head cases and kicked off their teams. So that's some of the guys in D2.

CRA_Fizzer likes this.
  16. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

Someone explain how that hit to head by Canada on the US wan't a penalty? I dunno shitte bout hockey.

MELK-MAN likes this.
  17. rd400racer

The NHL has 4 on ice officials...two linesman and two refs. Linesman only call off sides, icing and they drop the puck. Only the two refs can make a call. They are the ones wearing an orange arm band. I haven't paid attention, but I think the Olympics only has three on ice, so one less to see infractions. Probably just missed the call.

This happens a lot and leads to what they call "make up calls". That's calling something minor against a player for the one they missed.

Sabre699 likes this.
  18. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

What was the deal with the silver medal not being accepted? Is there a protest or something?

19. RxRC

RxRC Well-Known Member

That was unbelievable. A penalty at any level of hockey because of the head contact. And especially in the women's game because there is no body checking allowed. Should have been a five minute major, and it was witnessed by both referees.

20. RxRC

RxRC Well-Known Member

Same for the USA four years ago. Some didn't want their silver medals. They're just that hardcore. They don't feel like they won anything, only that they lost the gold.

I'm a little worried about women's hockey surviving as an Olympic event with only two teams that have a chance at gold. May go the way of women's softball.